IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Justicia aurea

Jeff in St Pete

Saw this blooming the other day in a friends garden. It's native to Central America and is used widely in cultivation.

Common, but still a beautiful flower.

post-747-12828019443411_thumb.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Tim, the plant was about my height (6ft) and I'm guessing the flower was about 5 inches.

I looked this species up in my Costa Rica plant book and it describes it as a shrub to 3 meters in height although I have never seen on that tall before. The flower is described as being around 2 inches but in cultivation the blooms are definitely bigger.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 8 years later...

I recently purchased a couple of yellow-blooming Justicia Aurea plants from an eBay seller, but they have not yet arrived. The seller insists that the maximum height of her particular variety of Justicia Aurea is only two feet tall, or possibly 2.5 feet at the absolute maximum.  She is absolutely positive and knows her plants well, she says. 

Other sources indicate that this plant has giant leaves and varies between 4 feet and 8 feet in height (2 metres).  The PalmTalker who posted the photo above said that the plant was was six feet tall. 

So:  Are there two different varieties of yellow-blooming Justicia Aurea, a short variety and a taller variety?  If so, this might explain it.

If not, is it possible that my eBay seller has a yellow-blooming version of Justicia CARNEA?  I have Justicia CARNEA already and it does not seem to grow much more than a foot tall, and very slowly --- and has pink blooms, not yellow.

Help!  I am confused about what I have ordered. 

If anyone knows of a nursery or other source where I can buy the large form of Justicia Aurea, please do let me know.  Thanks. 

By the way, to anyone who wants a cold-hardy (at least in the northern Gulf of Mexico coast if not farther north)  plant which: (1) blooms in deep shade; and (2) stays every green all winter with relatively attractive foliage, this is it.   The blooms are short-lived in shade, but still quite nice.  I understand that Justicia CARNEA and Justicia Aurea are equally cold-hardy, although I could be mistaken.