IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Agave geminiflora in Flower

freakypalmguy

For you Agave freaks out there, here's a few pictures of one of my Agave geminiflora that started to flower about a week ago. The flower is now 5 feet tall and is a nice shade of purple. It most likely signals the end for this plant, but only time will tell. I'm told that some A. geminiflora will divide after flowering and continue on, we'll see.

170x.jpg

169x.jpg

166x.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

nice flower stalk but believe the plant itself it´s a beautie and seems like there are several around. I´ve also heard it´ll only divide after flowering and that´s a good thing I believe. :lol:

leo.

• Upvote 1

Hi Leo,

I really love this Agave as well, very unique in the Agave world. I was really happy to see this, as it's my first to flower on this type of plant. It's interesting to see this small plant pump out such a huge flower stalk, at such a rapid pace.

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

It does have a neat color, almost a purple anodized look to it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

How about a pic of the plant itself as it too is quite attractive.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long Al, here is a picture of the plant,

005-3.jpg

The interesting thing about this flower, is that it pushed out from the plant until it was about 5 feet tall then started growing upwards from where the flowers began. Here are two pics of it at over 11 feet tall.

006-4.jpg

007-1.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Here's a couple closeups of the flowers opening as of this morning,you can see where it get's the name "twin flower agave"

044x.jpg

Odd how it emerges,

045x.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt, Agave geminiflora is quite an attractive plant to help fill in the palm garden. Thought perhaps you might like to see how one of mine looked before it flowered and then died. I have several other smaller ones planted again in the garden now, however.

post-90-067653400 1285449946_thumb.jpg

post-90-080750000 1285449963_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

That's a beauty Al, did it set seed?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

That's a beauty Al, did it set seed?

Matt

No Matt, it never did set any seed. Not sure why.

Nice sunsets!