IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My favorite tropical tree in my yard (Kigelia africana)

Gtlevine

My Kigelia africana has been blooming all summer and now I have my first sausages.

Gary

DSC_3072.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Nice... Mine is still a long way away from flowering. Now that you have the sausage... you need the cannonball...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gary, that is a stunner. Can we see a few more pics. Just gorgeous!

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My Kigelia africana has been blooming all summer and now I have my first sausages.

Gary

DSC_3072.jpg

GREAT looking tree Gary. How long did it take to get that big? I have seedlings from Matty about 2" tall right now.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

They seem to be strong growers even as seedlings. I can pluck them out of the community pot with no setback at all.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Great Photo! Man I love that tree, wish I had one!! Thanks for posting...

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Gary, your place is turning into a botanical garden of rare trees.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

What a strong and beautiful tree. The red flowers are absolutely striking!

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Looking good Gary! And Matty, pluck one of those seedlings out for me would you?

San Fernando Valley, California

Gary

DSC_3072.jpg

GREAT looking tree Gary. How long did it take to get that big? I have seedlings from Matty about 2" tall right now.

I planted it around 6 six years ago from a five gallon. They are very quick growers for me in inland So Cal and they are evergreen and trouble free, the perfect fit for the palm garden.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

You got it Peter. I've already got them all in 1 gallons.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looking good Gary! And Matty, pluck one of those seedlings out for me would you?

Have you got room, Peter??? :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Matty! I might just barely have the room Ari, once I take out those horrible Grevillea robustas.

San Fernando Valley, California

Great looking Kigelia!

i have wanted one since I saw my first one at Edison's house in Florida, I was just a kid. It is the next tropical tree I want to grow...My last choice was a Ceiba, two years old, about 7 feet, not bad for being in the house all winter. When it outgrows its 24" pot, I don't know what to do with it. Same with the Kigelia when I get it. The funny thing is...two years ago the Home Depot website advertised Kigelia, they would ship it direct all over the US. Let's have a Home Depot Kigelia forest in North Dakota.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 1 month later...

Matt:

When did you start your seeds? Do you find when their roots fill out the container, they stop growing? I started some this summer and they grew very quickly until their roots filled out the container...then they stopped growing until they were transplanted into a larger pot.

Most trees will do that... They don't take being root bound very kindly. Either you plant them or you repot them.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We have a 40 footer in the front yard, don't park your car underneath it, I know of three windshields it has broken. Bees love the flowers that are still open in the morning, they make the entire yard smell funny can't tell if I like it or not. And the fallen flowers, its like walkin on banana peels, slippy. Seedlings here don't seem as easy to start. Everybody asks about it, I usually offer them a sausage to take home.

Matt:

When did you start your seeds? Do you find when their roots fill out the container, they stop growing? I started some this summer and they grew very quickly until their roots filled out the container...then they stopped growing until they were transplanted into a larger pot.

Maybe that's what is going on. I broke up the community pot and they've seem to have stalled out at about 4" tall. I didn't think that they filled out the 1 gallon containers yet but maybe they have. I too started them earlier this Summer. I'm carefull not to fertilize seedlings while they're still attached to the seed so I probably haven't given them any fertilizer yet either so maybe that'll help. I'll just ignore them and if any live through winter I'll pot them up next spring.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Fertilise, Matt... the tree seedlings aren't as sensitive as palm seedlings, unless they are amherstia :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Kigelia africana looks even better in person - Gary always smiles when he is near this tree ! :D

post-1252-042510200 1285129431_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Fertilise, Matt... the tree seedlings aren't as sensitive as palm seedlings, unless they are amherstia :)

Ok Ari, I'll take your advice. Now where's that 40-0-0 ammonium sulfate?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

There's no need to fertilize this tree. It will grow very fast. As a matter a fact, the roots will grow into the ground from your 1 gal pots. They are so tough that you can easily grow it from cuttings of the mother tree. Just stick the small cuttings in a shady or partial shade area and voila, a tree with roots within a couple of weeks. The only thing that you need to worry about is the cold weather for the young sapplings this year.

Edited by BigFrond

Matt:

Maybe that's what is going on. I broke up the community pot and they've seem to have stalled out at about 4" tall. I didn't think that they filled out the 1 gallon containers yet but maybe they have. I too started them earlier this Summer. I'm carefull not to fertilize seedlings while they're still attached to the seed so I probably haven't given them any fertilizer yet either so maybe that'll help. I'll just ignore them and if any live through winter I'll pot them up next spring.

Thanks for the information.

I measured my larger plants, they're 15 inches tall in a gallon and developing the compound leaves now (I'll post a pic soon). I'm going to have to put them into 5 gallon containers in the next couple of days. I too, have not fertilized them...however, I keep the soil constantly wet. I've read it grows along rivers in Africa; even though it's a drought tolerant tree.

There's no need to fertilize this tree. It will grow very fast. As a matter a fact, the roots will grow into the ground from your 1 gal pots. They are so tough that you can easily grow it from cuttings of the mother tree. Just stick the small cuttings in a shady or partial shade area and voila, a tree with roots within a couple of weeks. The only thing that you need to worry about is the cold weather for the young sapplings this year.

BigFrond:

I have seen how quickly this tree grows...especially if it receives copious amounts of water. I've read very large truncheons can be cut and rooted also.

Are these things primarily ornamental or can we throw em on the Barbie like a snag ??? :mrlooney:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Here's a photo of one of my small gallon-sized Sausage trees which were planted this summer. It's 15 inches tall from soil line and ready to be transplanted again. Photo taken Sept. 22, 2010.

post-1786-017030300 1285223644_thumb.jpg

Mine grows faster last year when I feed them organics... I think they will benefit from a bit of feeding, like most things...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I'm excited to learn that Kigelia is so vigorous in SoCal. I had no idea. It's always represented the tropics to me, like breadfruit.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I'm excited to learn that Kigelia is so vigorous in SoCal. I had no idea. It's always represented the tropics to me, like breadfruit.

They are quite vigorous and easy to grow. The San Diego Zoo has at least 2 dozen trees on their grounds (that I know of). There's also several in Balboa Park.

I've actually seen them also growing in gardens around my neighborhood. There's a large tree at San Diego State University...I'm attaching a pic.

post-1786-002484100 1285441163_thumb.jpg

I've read that this species is self-infertile (not dioecious). Do I need to make space for two if I want fruit?

It is a monoecious tree...one tree will bear fruit. The tree posted above is planted by itself at San Diego State University...and had many sausage-like pods.

A few shots of a tree I saw this morning:

P1030102.jpg

I am hoping for some of those bright flowers:

P1030104.jpg

What you look for is what is looking