IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas debaoensis x revoluta

tank

Anyone have any pics of a Cycas debaoensis x revoluta hybrid? I'm hoping to pick up a couple of these and was curious as to what they look like. Are they showing any of the debaoensis leaf characteristics?

BTW, I gifted a C. debaoensis to a friend here in Gainesville and his made it through last winter with only minor leaf tip burn. His was placed in a great microclimate an probably saw 20F with no frost.

Thanks

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

My C debaoensis lost their leaves this winter but they grew back come spring. I would love to see pics of the hybrid. Something I've noticed is that many of the cycas hybrids don't show all the characteristics until they are larger.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I got some C. deboensis pollen and dusted my C. panzihuansis and C. taitugensis -- I am hoping to get some plants with mixed characteristics.

I did something like this about 10 years ago-- dusted C. diananensis pollen on a C. revoluta x taitugenis (vigourous hybrid)-- I got a load of these that have the wider leaves of C. diananensis but can take the frost better.

We shall see--- I am encouraged that the C. debaoensis made it through the winter -- this makes me want to plant mine out.

Best regards

Ed

I got a couple of Cycas Debaoensis x Revoluta a few years back. Both seedlings developed forking leaflets even at the start and they were developing differently. One was slightly faster, had more upright petioles and the leaflets were straighter, narrower and firmer to the touch. It was also darker green and but had a matt finish-- not a glossy look like on Revoluta.

The other one was a bit slower and had yellowish leaflets when they opened but eventually turned green. There is a stage when the leaflets are droopy before they firmed up. Unfortunately this one died on me.

It would be interesting to see if the one I have left will eventually develop a trunk.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Rare Palm Seeds has both debaoensis x revoluta and the reverse cross seeds available. I am also curious about the looks of these hybrids. If they can inherit the best traits of both parents, they would be fantastic for zone 9a/8b gardeners.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

I got a couple of Cycas Debaoensis x Revoluta a few years back. Both seedlings developed forking leaflets even at the start and they were developing differently. One was slightly faster, had more upright petioles and the leaflets were straighter, narrower and firmer to the touch. It was also darker green and but had a matt finish-- not a glossy look like on Revoluta.

The other one was a bit slower and had yellowish leaflets when they opened but eventually turned green. There is a stage when the leaflets are droopy before they firmed up. Unfortunately this one died on me.

It would be interesting to see if the one I have left will eventually develop a trunk.

Gene,

Do you have any pics you could post? If you have time, I would be grateful.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I got some C. deboensis pollen and dusted my C. panzihuansis and C. taitugensis -- I am hoping to get some plants with mixed characteristics.

I did something like this about 10 years ago-- dusted C. diananensis pollen on a C. revoluta x taitugenis (vigourous hybrid)-- I got a load of these that have the wider leaves of C. diananensis but can take the frost better.

We shall see--- I am encouraged that the C. debaoensis made it through the winter -- this makes me want to plant mine out.

Best regards

Ed

Its worth a try, although I might pick up a second just in case :winkie:

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Just took me a while to find the photo I had on file.

The Debaoensis x revoluta is on the left and the pure debaoensis is on the right.

post-1017-12810174813573_thumb.jpg

post-1017-12810175783525_thumb.jpg

I assume that since these are hybrids there would be a lot of variations among the siblings.

On a previous post- someone posted his young seedling of a Revoluta x Debaoensis and the leaves looked like a revoluta and only one or two leaflets forked. I think if the mother is the Debaoensis then there is a stronger chance of leaflets forking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Gene,

Thanks so much for posting the pics. That hybrid is really nice! It would be interesting to contrast a C. revoluta x debaoensis hybrid of the same age with your C. debaoensis x revoluta. Gene, where did you get your cross if you don't mind sharing?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

A couple of years ago I did a panzhihuaensis x taitungensis and also a panzhihuaensis x bifida cross.

Here is a photo of the resulting seedlings at the farm down in Oz

childers062010028.jpg

The taitungensis crosses are on the left.

They are exactly the same age.

Regards

Bruce

• Upvote 1

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

A couple of years ago I bought rev X debao seeds, of which three germinated. The offspring so far has a revoluta appearance, nothing to write home about yet. One of the seedlings had one leaflet fork, so I'm hopeful that as they mature, that they might exhibit more debao characteristics. I'll get a couple pics in a few.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Allright, here is a couple taken with the cell phone. See any debao in it? This is two separate 1.5 year old seedlings.

post-1261-12810335446536_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1281033618171_thumb.jpg

Edited by freakypalmguy

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...

Received my C. revoluta x debaoensis from George Sparkman last week (Thanks George!) and while young, they definitely look more like Gene's C. deb x rev than Matt's C. rev x deb. The most recent leaf is exhibiting at least one split leaflet. Hopefully this trend will continue. I'll try and post a pic soon. Anyone cold hardiness info on this hybrid? I was thinking about planting it out here in N. Florida.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Received my C. revoluta x debaoensis from George Sparkman last week (Thanks George!) and while young, they definitely look more like Gene's C. deb x rev than Matt's C. rev x deb. The most recent leaf is exhibiting at least one split leaflet. Hopefully this trend will continue. I'll try and post a pic soon. Anyone cold hardiness info on this hybrid? I was thinking about planting it out here in N. Florida.

Please do Tank, I'd love to see it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Need cycas pollen for an unusual cross. * Will share seed. It's a c. rhumphii [type] with thick leaves. A 'Carl Copenger hybrid'.......chumleyrobert@hotmail.c

Same as above

Finally caught up with this thread. This was given to me by a very knowledgeable cycad enthusiast here in Hawaii

and it is labeled debaoensis x revoluta. Seems to be loving it where I have it in the garden and looks like it's

going to be a beauty.

post-1300-128269805181_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A beauty Tim.

Matt in Temecula, CA

• 8 months later...

One of my C. revoluta x debaoensis put out a couple new leaves. I've been acclimating it to full sun. New leaflets are "forked". It saw some weather this winter, down to 24F. Brought it in for the worst night (20F). The "greener", less blue leaves are the new flush. Leaf texture is a cross between the two parents. I'm happy with the way this one is turning out.

post-526-069718600 1304615591_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Best regards

Ed

Ed, did you get any seed off of your hybridization attempts?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

tons of seeds I am letting them mature on the C. taitugensis and break up. I think they need to age/mature for a good 10 months.

Best regards

Ed

Rarepalmseeds has pictures of BOTH revXdeb and debXrev on their website. It is worth checking out. The characterisitics are very unique in regards to parentage.

Diannensis x Debaoensis is also a cool cross but from what i understand not all of the seedlings will have split leaflets and even if they do the seedlings don't look like each other.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Tank - The way your hybrid forks is similar to my diananensis x debaoensis. Like revoluta, diannanensis has simple non- splitting leaflets

The first few leaves don't have forking leaflets but around the 6th leaf - the leaflets begin to split.

interesting to note that the leaflets on mine also only split into 2 and not multiple leaflets.

* in crosses where Debaoensis is the mother plant, the split leflest appear at the very first leaf and eventually there are multiple splits on each leaflet,

I have to take a picture of it. I haven't really seen it in quite a while

• Like 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Here's my Diannennesis x debaoensis. The leaflets split only in 2 for most of the leaf.

post-1017-026332500 1305246986_thumb.jpg

The split happens close to the base of each leaflet

post-1017-090140600 1305247235_thumb.jpg

and the leaflets close to the end of the leaf are all simple (non splitting)

post-1017-065953700 1305247214_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

This plant has only flushed a few times. Hopefully it will have more than just bifid leaflets in later flushes, but so far this should be a very unique plant for areas that see colder temps. Folks have had this hybrid for longer than I, so there should be some that have their adult leaves. I don't frequent the cycad forums, so I'm sure there are pics floating around. Your Diannennesis x debaoensis looks great, very uniform.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Though the leaves are big on this seedling this is still a young plant. this is probably just it's 8th leaf so I guess it still immature (still only comes out with 1 leaf everytime it flushes).

I am kind of hoping that the leaves remain looking like this even when it matures. This uniform bifid overlapping look is pretty unique compared to the other multipinnate hybrids that I have.

The others look very similar to one another that it's hard to tell them apart.

I am still waiting to see if there will be a trunking multipinnate cycad that comes out of these crosses.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Cycas deboensis x Cycas revoluta. It's not much to look at but it's still pretty small. The caudex is only about three centimeters (A little over an inch). I hardly watered it last year and I didn't give it any fertilizer. This year I'm going to water and fertilize it and see if I can get it growing.

post-4899-027903400 1306090717_thumb.jpg

And this is my Cycas revoluta x Cycas micholitzii. It has a only a few split leaves here and there. Hopefully it will show more as it matures.

post-4899-022517500 1306090940_thumb.jpg

Edited by rprimbs

Gene that Diannennesis x debaoensis is gorgeous. Wow!

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 11 months later...

another angle.

This is my favorite of the few seelings I have. Nice overlapping of teh split leaves

also seems to be the strongest grower.

post-1017-056799100 1335245545_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

• 4 weeks later...

Gene,

Somehow missed your post but that Dianenenesis X Debaoensis cross looks awesome.

Here is my C. debaoensis x revoluta since its last flush Hopefully these will get nearly as big as pure C. debaoensis.

Been in the ground now nearly 2 years.

Came through last winter perfect with lows around 20F.

post-526-041930600 1337286486_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 4 months later...

Here's an update on the C. revoluta X C. debaoensis that I had posted above. These are great! I'm hoping that I get a little more splitting of the leaves. It seems to be a pretty fast grower.

post-4899-0-15719000-1348336416_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Here is an recent picture of the same plant from the last post. It is actually a C. revoluta x C. debaoensis. Now the leaves are about a meter long, and the caudex is about 6 inches wide. It is a very fast grower! I think that it has much more character than C. revoluta, but it is hard to see clearly in a picture. Or perhaps this

picture.

This thing will have a trunk in a couple of years!

post-4899-0-15126600-1375060037_thumb.jp

Edited by rprimbs
  • Like 1

When I look at the picture that I posted back in May of 2011 and compare it with the picture I posted today I am amazed by what an incredible rocket this cycad is!

Boy I would love to see updated pictures of Gene's hybrids in the Philippines. I bet that they are beautiful plants now!

Nice plant.

These definitely grow fast! Two to three flushes a year so far.

Here is a bad pic of mine. Leaves from the last flush are about 4 ft long.

post-526-0-05313700-1375106016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida