IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's Talk Sunspots Again

_Keith

As opposed to last years sleeping sun, and a winter with some 15 year record lows to go with it. So, we now find ourselves in precisely the opposite situation as last year. And this is a great time to start the conversation, too, because the sun has not only awakened, but it is about to throw a screaming hissy fit, a spit Plasma all over us.

Will this impact the weather? Let's keep an eye on it and talk about it.

BUT NO GLOBAL WARMING or POLITICS. Let's keep it about the sun, please.

http://i.engadget.co...-hit-earth-tom/

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So might this winter be a very warm one? What do you think?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

This summer is certainly a warm one. We had a record warm June here. Hit 100 a couple days ago. So, I am betting an all time record warm winter yes. Even more interesting will be the effects of all this activity on today's modern electronics. Running on 11 year cycles, the age of smart phones, etc has never faced a full scale solar maximum, much less a record one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This summer is certainly a warm one. We had a record warm June here. Hit 100 a couple days ago. So, I am betting an all time record warm winter yes. Even more interesting will be the effects of all this activity on today's modern electronics. Running on 11 year cycles, the age of smart phones, etc has never faced a full scale solar maximum, much less a record one.

Keith,

On the other hand, we had the coolest June and July on record here......while I am always hopeful for clement weather, I am also fearful for the cold. The effect of the volcano in Iceland this yearm where airplanes have had to reroute may have a cooling effect on the climate as well. Does anyone know the eruption status of that particular volcano?

Will the impact of solar storms have that much true impct on temperatures? Especially given the bizarre summer we have had in this country, where parts have had record heat and others record cooling?

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I have noted you guys really cool summer. There are so many factors influencing the weather, who knows for sure. Even the experts long forecast track record is spotty at best. It just makes for interesting conversation and speculation. That's half the fun for me.

As for individual solar storms, I have not read of any impact on the weather in any practical sense other than those apocalyptic type scenarios. But if the apocalyptic scenarios are true, then it makes sense that there could be events between that extreme and inconvenience of causing lost phone calls. Far more immediate, in interesting, will be its effect on communications. That will happen.

The southern summer this year may be a hot one. I'm beginning to think it will be. But Palmtalk and the Internet may be offline for a while when all the satellites melt into expensive globs of molten goo. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

From what I have been observing the southern winter has not been a warm one. That does not mean that it is too far from normal. It finally snowed in southern Brazil which is a rare but normally yearly occurance. And, Peru has been real cold. Here winter is summer and summer is winter it is about normal, hot. It will be interesting to see if the cool phase of the oceans will be impacted or not by solar activity.

And, if one is in an airplane when the solar storm hits it could be interesting. That is if the satellites fail and communication goes off line.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I heard somewhere we were in for a scorcher of a summer for 2010/2011. Could this be due to the plasmatic approach of the sun ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I hear that if the coronal ejection is strong enough, it's possible to see an aurora even in Florida. That would certainly be really cool

Keith 

I hear that if the coronal ejection is strong enough, it's possible to see an aurora even in Florida. That would certainly be really cool

Cool. There's gotta be an upside to the TV blowing up. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cool. There's gotta be an upside to the TV blowing up. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

There was one storm in 1859 that was so powerful that aurorae could be seen in the Caribbean!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1859_solar_superstorm

Another one in 1989 caused auroras to be seen in Florida and Cuba

http://www.solarstorms.org/SWChapter1.html

Sorry to take over the topic though, let's hope that your predictions are right twice in a row, Keith. I think a warm winter is just what all our palms need after that mess last January

Keith 

Some pictures of the sun. The solar flare on August 7 and the current sunspots on August 8.

SolarflareAug7.jpg

SunspotsAugust9.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Joe Bastardi has some interesting things to say about the impact of ocean temperatures in the coming year. From my standpoint a la Niña pattern normally means more rain during the year. Which is just fine as far as I am concerned. This is not linked to sunspots. But, it relevant as to upcoming weather patterns.

Accuweather Joe Bastardi

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Isn't the sun beautiful. Like one humungous nuclear radioactive orange. :D

Tyrone,

It sure is. And without it we would not be posting on PT.

This site has some good pictures and information about this cycle.

Sunspot cycle 24

This is a great picture from there as well.

SunAugust8.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The last strong La Niña coincided with the up side of a sunspot cycle. This information is interesting from Australia . La Niña Australia BOM

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hot summer is fine... as long as it is a wet one!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone,

It sure is. And without it we would not be posting on PT.

This site has some good pictures and information about this cycle.

Sunspot cycle 24

This is a great picture from there as well.

SunAugust8.jpg

That's an amazing shot Don. You can see that the gravity on the sun is about 1000000 times that of earth. Look at the weird arcs the plasma makes as it falls back to the sun. Really steep curves. If you put all the nuclear bombs ever made on the sun in one spot you still wouldn't pick them out on that picture. The sun is unbelievable but is a little yellow dwarf compared to many of the other stars in our vast galaxy. Mind blowing, but so beautiful. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

That's an amazing shot Don. You can see that the gravity on the sun is about 1000000 times that of earth. Look at the weird arcs the plasma makes as it falls back to the sun. Really steep curves. If you put all the nuclear bombs ever made on the sun in one spot you still wouldn't pick them out on that picture. The sun is unbelievable but is a little yellow dwarf compared to many of the other stars in our vast galaxy. Mind blowing, but so beautiful. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, look at this picture

Star-sizes.jpg

Keith 

ahhhhhhhh, my brain

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Just to put things into perspective - The Sun and her planets.

Thesunandherplanets.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Gotta love those pictures and comparisons. We are so miniscule in the scheme of things.

Tyrone