IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to use this forum fast and effectively

Wanderanwills

Hi All,

The palm talk forum website is very powerful and has an enormous amount of information.

The only problem I see is that when you first start up you need to know where to look, to know how to use it.

Most of the information is there but not in one location. Would it be possible for a basic document to be created that documents all the features and the best ways to enjoy the forum.

I am still finding ways to do things on the forum and cannot find if they are documented. The search engine does not always work, for instance search for 'Reputation' (which I still don't understand what this rating is) and the search engine does not find any threads or posts relevant.

What are your thoughts?

Just trying to help to make this a very popular forum for new comers, and then keep them.

Regards

Stephen

• Upvote 2

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Hi Stephan,

I understand how reputation works. At the bottom right corner of evey post you can click to give the poster a better reputation score. You can even vote for yourself. I know that one or I would have a terrible reputationbiggrin.gif . I think the reputation thing is rediculous myself!rage.gif I hope that helps.

You should write the first book about you wanting a data base for our bablings!

Randysmilie.gif

I gave you a good reputation voterolleyes.gif

• Upvote 1

test

Oh is that what reputation means. That one had me quite worried for a long time. Being technically inept I cant even find my last post half the time. So is there a button for the stinkers ?

Peachy

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi All,

The palm talk forum website is very powerful and has an enormous amount of information.

The only problem I see is that when you first start up you need to know where to look, to know how to use it.

Most of the information is there but not in one location. Would it be possible for a basic document to be created that documents all the features and the best ways to enjoy the forum.

I am still finding ways to do things on the forum and cannot find if they are documented. The search engine does not always work, for instance search for 'Reputation' (which I still don't understand what this rating is) and the search engine does not find any threads or posts relevant.

What are your thoughts?

Just trying to help to make this a very popular forum for new comers, and then keep them.

Regards

Stephen

Yes Stephen,

It's no secret that the forum format has limitations. But it also offers many advantages like simplicity, and is user friendly. Without going into the long history of forums in general, there have been several attempts by third party developers to try and expand the usefulness of forums and integrate other reference features into the package. I used one of these on my own site - starting with a wiki and integrating a forum into it. It is a very complicated and time consuming experiment. But they are all "hacks," and you are treading into a system where there is little or no support, upgrades, or guarantees - something that would not be a good idea for the IPS. As time passes, more and better features are being added to the various forum platforms including this one. The search feature here is much better than previous versions. But you have to know how to use the advanced features. I would predict continued added usefulness and features in the future.

As far as a "primer" for the Forum. That is what this sub-forum is for --- to outline and discuss the various features. Anyone is welcome to write a document explaining certain aspects, like searching, or uploading photos, etc. And have you tried using the "Help" feature? This is also improved over previous versions and offers a lot of useful info.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Oh is that what reputation means. That one had me quite worried for a long time. Being technically inept I cant even find my last post half the time. So is there a button for the stinkers ?

Peachy

I've never used it before but just bumped you from 1 to 2.

Hi All,

What are your thoughts?

Regards

Stephen

Yes Stephen,

It's no secret that the forum format has limitations. But it also offers many advantages like simplicity, and is user friendly. Without going into the long history of forums in general, there have been several attempts by third party developers to try and expand the usefulness of forums and integrate other reference features into the package. I used one of these on my own site - starting with a wiki and integrating a forum into it. It is a very complicated and time consuming experiment. But they are all "hacks," and you are treading into a system where there is little or no support, upgrades, or guarantees - something that would not be a good idea for the IPS. As time passes, more and better features are being added to the various forum platforms including this one. The search feature here is much better than previous versions. But you have to know how to use the advanced features. I would predict continued added usefulness and features in the future.

As far as a "primer" for the Forum. That is what this sub-forum is for --- to outline and discuss the various features. Anyone is welcome to write a document explaining certain aspects, like searching, or uploading photos, etc. And have you tried using the "Help" feature? This is also improved over previous versions and offers a lot of useful info.

Thanks Palm Mod,

Not complaining just suggesting a simple document that explains the basic features for beginners, we don't want to scare anyone off, many gardeners I have found often struggle with computers..

It would be handy on the opening page at the top with a title like 'Start Here'

Just a thought.

Regards

Stephen

• Upvote 1

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon