IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Upright Onilahensis

Bags

I have always loved this palm and after seeing a few of these beauties again at Mardy Darian's I am wondering why I don't have one yet. Who' got em? Thanks, Aaron

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Shon,

I'm pretty sure it is Dypsis Psammophila. A few others thought so as well.

BTW the colocasia 'mojito' is good to go. Stop by any time.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Aaron,

the "clumping ambo" is one of the upright D. onilahensis. Wheather it's the same as those robust ones at Dr. Darians or not, I don't know. Ask quaman58. He's got a large one of the clumping ambo's. Maybe his is getting fat with age. I suspect they are the same palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

Nick's palm in the palmpedia thread was initially labeled as Ambositrae. You might not be able to tell from the pics but it is quite a bit larger than the weeping Onilahensis. It grows very fast and has a similar look to the upright Onilahensis. Does anyone know if the upright seedlings have the dark color similar to the Miss labeled Ambositrae?

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Aaron,

I have 3 different upright D. onilahensis.

1. The mislabled D. ambo clumper. This is very colorful purple when young, clumps profusely, not much powder, takes full sun from a 1 gallon size plant, grows super fast, and has leaves that are not in a dramatic "V" shape or recurved leaflets. Leaflets are more similar to D. baronii, and are always regular.

2. Unlabled Dypsis, upright clumper, light powder evenly on trunk and crownshaft, leaflets held in upright "V" shape w/ recurve to the tips, clumps but not profusely, leaflets sometimes have terminal bifid or a double leaflet here or there when young.

3. Dypsis sp. 'Cuesta Linda', could just be a very colorful D. baronii though, not sure

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Aaron, Ron Lawyer has them and Doc has seedlings too. I will ask him how much this week. Not many actually have this plant. I know Louie Hooper and Dean Ouer have adult ones too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Louie Hooper usually has lots of seedlings for sale that come from his big plant.

San Fernando Valley, California

Oh yeah, Louie has them for sale too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Aaron,

like Matt said, mine was purchased labeled as D. ambositrae. It looked EXACTLY like a D. onilihensis I had purchased before. I even posted a pic of both side by side in 2006. I assumed they were the same plant, as there were virtually no differences. The plant labeled onilihensis is currently about 18" tall. The "ambositae" is nearly 10 feet tall with about 4 feet of woody trunk. Spectacular, whatever it is. Matt seems to think there are a few left at Phils. He would know..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Jessie Bergman was nice enough to give me one of his personal plants when I was looking for another one of these a couple weeks ago at the nursery. Rusty and Jessie and probably Shon would know where to find the last ones.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

I am pretty sure I have the three you mentioned. The only reason I am wondering if the upright and the clumping ambo are the same palm or not is that they are both amazing and if different I want one of each. I picked up an upright out of Rusty's stash at JM yesterday. It is in the ground now, so we will see.

Brett,

I saw some pics of your "ambo/onilahensis" palm and it looks unbelievable. I had on that was growing like a weed and was one of my favorites until it croaked. Do you have any updated pics? It seems to have the same characteristics as the upright onilahensis. It is pretty robust and grows very fast. This could be a future avenue palm around here.

Len,

Let me know what he says. I would love to get one straight from the source.

Peter,

I'll keep louie in mind.

Shon,

You will have to take a look at the two side by side tomorrow.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Aaron,

I'm not sure if this was the one you saw at Docs. Here are a couple from today.

post-55-12798582795766_thumb.jpg

Stunning wax white crownshaft, pure green trunk--no wax residue. Sorry for the dark image. Notice the branching stalk behind.

nice fuzzy stuff

The two pictures (only meant to post one), are from May 2006. Not sure which one is the plant in question. It was planted later in the year & survived the '07 freeze.

post-55-12798584546299_thumb.jpg

post-55-12798585297497_thumb.jpg

post-55-12798586052042_thumb.jpg

post-55-12798588467159_thumb.jpg

Edited by quaman58

Bret

Sorry the previous post got so scrambled up. It's getting late..

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one from CyadsandPalms, in Fallbrook, not sure if it is the upright thou you'll have to call him, 5 gallon for good price. Will post picture tomorrow.

Edited by Palm crazy

I just got one from CyadsandPalms, in Fallbrook, not sure if it is the upright thou you'll have to call him, 5 gallon for good price. Will post picture tomorrow.

Maybe this one isn't as upright as I though, will have to see what happen to the new leaf when it opens.

a03f9eb9.jpg

dats da droopy

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"