IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A very young seedling to identify

mpiodi

Dear friends

I dare show you a very small seedling and hope however that somebody may have an idea of what it is.

Because I discovered a very characteristic trait I have never seen before on another palm: fine blazing red edges of the leaflets.

Can this help to identify my seedling?

Its growing smoothly, since some months even in full sun.

Unfortunately I forgot where I collected the seeds.

Thanks!

Mpiodi

post-2039-12787119875209_thumb.jpg

post-2039-12787120208325_thumb.jpg

post-2039-12787120555294_thumb.jpg

Wolfgang Hecht, Kinshasa, République Démocratique du Congo

4°19'54" S, Tropical, dry season June-September, average temperature 22-26°C,

1378mm average rainfall/year

Dictyosperma. Which one is a bit harder. You'll have to grow it to find that out. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dictyosperma. Which one is a bit harder. You'll have to grow it to find that out. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, this was really very fast. Thanks Tyrone.

Is this so easy because its only Dictyosperma which shows this red edges?

I thought there is only one Dictyosperma - Dictyosperma album? Are there still others?

Mpiodi

Well technically yes. There are different varieties with different names which all look kind of similar when young. They all get red edges. There is D album, D album var album, D album var rubra, D album var aureum, D album var furfuraceum and D album var conjugatum. Its possible some of these varieties listed are the same in reality. When they mature you can see the difference.

I'm not sure if other palm seedlings get red edges, but Dictyosperma do and yours look like so many I've grown.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, this was really very fast. Thanks Tyrone.

Is this so easy because its only Dictyosperma which shows this red edges?

I thought there is only one Dictyosperma - Dictyosperma album? Are there still others?

Mpiodi

Latania seedlings can have red edges

Yes they can. Kind of forgot them. Both species come from the Mascarenes too.

Best regards

Tyrone

It doesn't look like latania though...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That looks like a feather leaf palm, latanias are fan palms and by that size would be obviously so. I think its a Dictyospermum.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I was sold a hyophorbe juvenile that has red edged leaves.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Well technically yes. There are different varieties with different names which all look kind of similar when young. They all get red edges. There is D album, D album var album, D album var rubra, D album var aureum, D album var furfuraceum and D album var conjugatum. Its possible some of these varieties listed are the same in reality. When they mature you can see the difference.

I'm not sure if other palm seedlings get red edges, but Dictyosperma do and yours look like so many I've grown.

Best regards

Tyrone

I remember now that I collected in february last year in the Botanical Garden of Kisantu seeds from these palm trees of which I posted after the visit a pic here in palmtalk - travellogs. Having seen this pic, the former belgian director of the garden wrote me that it is dictyosperma album.

So this is obviously the mother plant of my seedlings.

Best regards

Mpiodi

Edited by mpiodi

Sorry an error occurred

Here is the pic of dictyosperma album in Kisantu botanical garden I mentionned.

Mpiodi

post-2039-12787794252407_thumb.jpg

Mpiodi, those are the best Dictyospermas I have ever seen (and I think it's attractive to begin with)! Those look like habitat shots, thanks for sharing.

-Michael

• 2 months later...

Tyrone wrote :

Best regards

Tyrone

Only three kinds of dictyosperma are depicted -a fourth with much bigger trunk and crown, light green stiff leaves is known in Mascarene but has not been named yet- There are D album - sometimes follow by var album- D album var conjugatum -synonym furfuraceum- and D album var aureum from Rodriguez Island. This last dictyosperma is distintive mainly in the seedling state -for a non accustomed eye it could be confused with Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. I guess few collectors has this specimen because from now I have never seen on the web picture which looks like D aureum despite It would not be taken for granted. Otherwise, there is the ubiquitous hybrid between D album and D var conjugatum. Concerning D album var rubra, it has only his middle young crown leave which varies from D album var album. Not enough to be an entire specie !

Regards.

Best regards

Tyrone

Only three kinds of Dictyosperma are depicted -a fourth with much bigger trunk and crown, light green stiff leaves is known in Mascarenes but has not been named yet- There are D album - sometimes follow by var album- D album var conjugatum -synonym furfuraceum- and D album var aureum from Rodriguez Island. This last Dictyosperma is distintive mainly in the seedling state -for a non accustomed eye it could be confused with Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. I guess few collectors has this specimen because until now I have never seen on the web picture which looks like D aureum despite It would not be taken for granted. Otherwise, there is the ubiquitous hybrid between D album and D var conjugatum. Concerning D album var rubra, it has only his middle young crown leave which varies from D album var album. Not enough to be an entire specie !

Regards.

Hery

Edited by hery