RarePalmSeeds

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

The IPS has issued the expected revised "Terms of Service" - Effective Immediately - Please read more in an explanatory topic HERE.

NEW "TERMS OF SERVICE"

Photo

A very young seedling to identify

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mpiodi

mpiodi

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Dear friends

I dare show you a very small seedling and hope however that somebody may have an idea of what it is.
Because I discovered a very characteristic trait I have never seen before on another palm: fine blazing red edges of the leaflets.
Can this help to identify my seedling?
Its growing smoothly, since some months even in full sun.
Unfortunately I forgot where I collected the seeds.

Thanks!

Mpiodi

Attached Thumbnails

• unbekannt 33 mai 20101.JPG
  • unbekannt 33 mai 20102.JPG
  • unbekannt 33 november 09 (10)3.JPG

Wolfgang Hecht, Kinshasa, République Démocratique du Congo
4°19'54" S, Tropical, dry season June-September, average temperature 22-26°C,
1378mm average rainfall/year

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Tyrone

Tyrone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Dictyosperma. Which one is a bit harder. You'll have to grow it to find that out. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate with climate strongly influenced by the Southern Ocean. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Winter 8C to 16C min/max, Summer 15C to 24C min/max. Frost free. Approx 900mm rainfall with a winter peak. Driest month Feb with 25mm. 9km (5miles) from Southern Ocean. 6km (3.5miles) from Oyster Harbour. 13m asl. 1/3 clay, 2/3 peat soil on a flood plain.

It rains 6 months of the year and the other 6 months it continues dripping off the trees. 

The Tropical Look

#3 mpiodi

mpiodi

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Dictyosperma. Which one is a bit harder. You'll have to grow it to find that out. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, this was really very fast. Thanks Tyrone.
Is this so easy because its only Dictyosperma which shows this red edges?
I thought there is only one Dictyosperma - Dictyosperma album? Are there still others?

Mpiodi

#4 Tyrone

Tyrone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

Well technically yes. There are different varieties with different names which all look kind of similar when young. They all get red edges. There is D album, D album var album, D album var rubra, D album var aureum, D album var furfuraceum and D album var conjugatum. Its possible some of these varieties listed are the same in reality. When they mature you can see the difference.

I'm not sure if other palm seedlings get red edges, but Dictyosperma do and yours look like so many I've grown.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate with climate strongly influenced by the Southern Ocean. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Winter 8C to 16C min/max, Summer 15C to 24C min/max. Frost free. Approx 900mm rainfall with a winter peak. Driest month Feb with 25mm. 9km (5miles) from Southern Ocean. 6km (3.5miles) from Oyster Harbour. 13m asl. 1/3 clay, 2/3 peat soil on a flood plain.

It rains 6 months of the year and the other 6 months it continues dripping off the trees. 

The Tropical Look

#5 richnorm

richnorm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:02 AM

Best regards

Tyrone

Wow, this was really very fast. Thanks Tyrone.
Is this so easy because its only Dictyosperma which shows this red edges?
I thought there is only one Dictyosperma - Dictyosperma album? Are there still others?

Mpiodi

Latania seedlings can have red edges

#6 Tyrone

Tyrone

• IPS MEMBER
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:28 AM

Yes they can. Kind of forgot them. Both species come from the Mascarenes too.

Best regards

Tyrone

The Tropical Look

#7 ariscott

ariscott

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

It doesn't look like latania though...

Regards, Ari :)
Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia
-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

#8 peachy

peachy

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

That looks like a feather leaf palm, latanias are fan palms and by that size would be obviously so. I think its a Dictyospermum.
Peachy
I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.
Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

#9 Kumar

Kumar

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

I was sold a hyophorbe juvenile that has red edged leaves.

Bombay, India
Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India
Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

#10 mpiodi

mpiodi

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Well technically yes. There are different varieties with different names which all look kind of similar when young. They all get red edges. There is D album, D album var album, D album var rubra, D album var aureum, D album var furfuraceum and D album var conjugatum. Its possible some of these varieties listed are the same in reality. When they mature you can see the difference.

I'm not sure if other palm seedlings get red edges, but Dictyosperma do and yours look like so many I've grown.

Best regards

Tyrone

I remember now that I collected in february last year in the Botanical Garden of Kisantu seeds from these palm trees of which I posted after the visit a pic here in palmtalk - travellogs. Having seen this pic, the former belgian director of the garden wrote me that it is dictyosperma album.
So this is obviously the mother plant of my seedlings.

Best regards

Mpiodi

Edited by mpiodi, 10 July 2010 - 08:27 AM.

#11 mpiodi

mpiodi

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Sorry an error occurred

Here is the pic of dictyosperma album in Kisantu botanical garden I mentionned.

Mpiodi

Attached Thumbnails

• Dictyospema album Kisantu février 091 Mutterpflanze.JPG

#12 palmsOrl

palmsOrl

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Mpiodi, those are the best Dictyospermas I have ever seen (and I think it's attractive to begin with)! Those look like habitat shots, thanks for sharing.

-Michael

#13 hery

hery

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

Tyrone wrote :

Best regards

Tyrone

Only three kinds of dictyosperma are depicted -a fourth with much bigger trunk and crown, light green stiff leaves is known in Mascarene but has not been named yet- There are D album - sometimes follow by var album- D album var conjugatum -synonym furfuraceum- and D album var aureum from Rodriguez Island. This last dictyosperma is distintive mainly in the seedling state -for a non accustomed eye it could be confused with Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. I guess few collectors has this specimen because from now I have never seen on the web picture which looks like D aureum despite It would not be taken for granted. Otherwise, there is the ubiquitous hybrid between D album and D var conjugatum. Concerning D album var rubra, it has only his middle young crown leave which varies from D album var album. Not enough to be an entire specie !
Regards.

#14 hery

hery

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

Best regards

Tyrone

Only three kinds of Dictyosperma are depicted -a fourth with much bigger trunk and crown, light green stiff leaves is known in Mascarenes but has not been named yet- There are D album - sometimes follow by var album- D album var conjugatum -synonym furfuraceum- and D album var aureum from Rodriguez Island. This last Dictyosperma is distintive mainly in the seedling state -for a non accustomed eye it could be confused with Hyophorbe verschaffeltii. I guess few collectors has this specimen because until now I have never seen on the web picture which looks like D aureum despite It would not be taken for granted. Otherwise, there is the ubiquitous hybrid between D album and D var conjugatum. Concerning D album var rubra, it has only his middle young crown leave which varies from D album var album. Not enough to be an entire specie !
Regards.
Hery

Edited by hery, 26 September 2010 - 11:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users