IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID

ariscott

Hi everyone,

I don't want to be a new member and asking for ID on palms... but my other half has been bugging me to post pics of this particular palm. It was in one of the rental house we lived in and it was flowering when we moved out. Pity, they could not wait until it was actually fruiting before kicking us out, so we can collect some seeds...

Every time we showed the photos to other palm enthusiasts, we always got different answer, so I thought I might ask this forum and see what we can come up with.

It was very difficult to take decent photo of the palm, hence we couldnot take overal palm pics. Well, at least, if we can't identify it and buy the palm somewhere else, Scott (my other half) is going to knock on the door to collect some seeds... :)

Thanks, Ari :)

post-512-1165927148_thumb.jpg

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The leaves and inflorescence are telling me that it's a Clinostigma (not sure of the species).  The crown is a bit deeper green than most Clinostigmas I've seen but maybe it's the lighting.  Pretty sure it's a Clinostigma.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Euterpe precatoria!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhmust have must have....uh (passes out)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB awakes just in time to ask, "hey can you send me some seed?" :;):

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

agree wid matola bee, my small E.prec variegata has the same leaf and leaflets as this one.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ooops.  I'm wrong, Matt's right (MattyB that is).  I should have paid more attention to the crownshaft color.  Euterpe precatoria it is.  I could just go edit my original to look cool, but that would be wrong.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I remember that spikey looking flower of euterpe...that and I want to marry Euterpe precatoria.

Whooooohooo.  I got Matt in SD on that one.  I'll have to print this thread out and save it because that dosn't happen often.  He must have the day off and started drinking already. :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Dec. 12 2006,15:16)

MattyB awakes just in time to ask, "hey can you send me some seed?" :;):

Thank you for the id... so now we just have to find one..... Might have to go to Cairns for this one  ???

For the seeds, we will go pass the house today and see whether it has any yet. It  has been 3 months since we moved, so I hope it is not too late. I can definitely send you some, if we can get any... Is it hard to germinate?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, 3 months probably isn't enough from flower to ripe fruit but I really don't know Euterpe cycles.  They are known for being easy to germinate.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ari,

Euterpe seeds are VERY easy to germinate! You don't even need me to wish you good luck, but I will anyway! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ari,

Why would you feel bad asking for an ID in this Forum? We love it.

MattyB,

Indeed, savor your moment of superiority over Matt in SD. Few and far between. That guy's good.

Maybe we should have a round of "Battle of the PalmTalk All-Stars" one of these days.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Can we have divisions?!  I am a newbie and want to compete against other newbies for now ;)

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

(IPSPTModerator @ Dec. 12 2006,22:11)

Ari,

Why would you feel bad asking for an ID in this Forum? We love it.

I just don't want my first post to be asking palm ID, that is all. Now that I know you all love it.... I will do it more often  :D  :D.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(bgl @ Dec. 12 2006,19:34)

Ari,

Euterpe seeds are VERY easy to germinate! You don't even need me to wish you good luck, but I will anyway! :)

Bo-Göran

I will ask for instruction once I got the seeds :) :).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"