IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Question about a Sabal Palm

k.a.m.

Hello, my name is Kevin and I am very glad that I have been able find and join your web sight. I manage the grounds at my downtown office in Beaumont, TX. where I have eight Texas Sable Palms. There are two in the front of our office that are planted in the concrete sidewalks. The city removed the sidewalks and replaced with brick pavers and planters around our Palms. Several weeks ago a powerful storm blew through and left some of my boots hanging down, I noticed an enormous amount of sap coming from this area on one of the Palms and I am concerned for the Palm. Can anyone please tell me how this might have happened and how I can hopefully remedy the problem.

Thank You,

Kevin

Welcome, Kevin. Can you post photos? Sabals are tough and can take hurricane winds. Some are prone to losing boots, others hold on to them. Is there a wound on the tree? What type of "fluid" is leaking? Do you see signs of insects or fungus? We need as much info as you can provide.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Kevin, I agree with Meg, we need a more information and pictures if possible... welcome to the group. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

PalmatierMeg, iamjv, Thank You for your replies. Here are some photos of the spot in question. I have inspected

the area but I see no evidence of insect or trauma.

HPIM8129.jpg

HPIM8132.jpg

Kevin, I do not beleive that "sap" if from the palm. I thing maybe something has been flung on the palm from another source.

Tampa Scott, it is most definitely coming from the Palm. I have other pics of the sap running down the trunk. I have cleaned the area three times, there does not seem to be a hole where the sap is coming from but it continues to flow from the area. At the base of the Palm the drainage on the ground as of today was almost a quart.

Hi Kevin, welcome to palm talk. Well I am not much use, but I do know that sabals are so tough and can survive just about anything nature throws at them. If you can find a wound that the sap is coming from, pour a bit of peroxide in it. Otherwise just give it a bit of fertiliser to help it recover from whatever caused it.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hey Kevin,

Welcome.

I think the hole may be caused by insects that were eating away behind the boots. They have probably been at it for a while and when the boots fell off you caught them in the act. Systemic insecticides like cygon can go after many boreing insects (which you may have). Other than that there is no real way to close the hole. The palm will eventually seal it off. You may want to clean the boots off all of them to take away the insects homes.

Ken

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I agree it looks like palm weevil damage but I thought they usually go into the crown as the "wood" is too hard for them. I could be wrong though. It is below the bud so one weevil is not likely to get to the bud. Check the bud for more damage though and if you can find cygon, drench the fronds and the roots. I'm thinking that with all that sap, the weevil might get suffocated. Don't forget to fertilize as a healthy palm is less likely to attract weevils.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Peachy, Ken, and Jerry. Thank You for your replies. I will try to find some Cygon but My local garden centers are of no real help. Is there an alternative spray on the market that will combat the Weevil? Also what would be the annual fertilizer amounts for my Palms? I currently feed them every 6 months with Palm plus. I am truly glad that I have found this sight, as there are not any experts of Palms that I know of in my area. Thank You all again for your help.

Thinking twice about your Sabal, it might be some type of Woodpecker or Sapsucker that did it. These birds injure a tree to attract insects so they can eat them. If that is the case, insecticide might not be what you need. Maybe you don't need to treat at all. You might want to talk to a local or maybe your county extension agent to see if this is common there. In any case, Sabals are about the toughest palm you can grow.

I would use about 5lbs of palm fert two or three times a year. Get an analysis heavy on potassium.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds