• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

%*&^%@^*(& Squirrels

Kailua_Krish

How do y'all keep the squirrels from eating your seedlings? Just today they ate a JxB F1, two trachycarpus of some sort I raised from seed, and an E. ferox! If I had a gun I would take care of them that way but unfortunately that isnt allowed in my 'hood. I was thinking of maybe building an enclosure for my seedlings?

I am soooo angry right now...

:rage:

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

What you guys need to do is plant a couple of good (preferably tropical) fruit bearing trees which keep the squirrels occupied and away from young palms which I don't think are too appetizing anyway. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

What you guys need to do is plant a couple of good (preferably tropical) fruit bearing trees which keep the squirrels occupied and away from young palms which I don't think are too appetizing anyway. :lol:

This doesnt work, half of my yard is fruit trees and the greedy little ___________ decide to take everything...

-Krishna

-Krishna

I lost $100's if not over $1000 to squirels. This took care of all my problems. Its like a safari in the jungle.

http://www.gamousa.com/

Thanks for the suggestion! I am figuring that they will just come back while I am gone though, as the plants are at my parents house...

-Krishna

-Krishna

Keel moose und skvirrel

Boris & Natasha

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Keel moose und skvirrel

Boris & Natasha

:floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Keel moose und skvirrel

Boris & Natasha

Thanks for the smile Peachy, I needed it after today :) I think Im gonna make a "cage" out of chicken wire. It should have holes small enough they cant get through. I will admit, I was tempted just to give up and only grow what was already in the ground...

-Krishna

-Krishna

Eat or be eaten.....better wait for cold weather, too many parasites in summer.

post-97-1277973499556_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Neat pest control tactic ;)

Edited by Dundo

How do y'all keep the squirrels from eating your seedlings? Just today they ate a JxB F1, two trachycarpus of some sort I raised from seed, and an E. ferox! If I had a gun I would take care of them that way but unfortunately that isnt allowed in my 'hood. I was thinking of maybe building an enclosure for my seedlings?

-Krishna

Sorry to hear this!I know how you feel.:)

Some weeks ago some bush mice also ate some very young tender seedlings,and the most precious: My only Butia catarinensis x Syagrus oleracea , my only two Butia lallemanti seedlings and one little Butia matogrossensis!!:rage:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Give them what they like, plant a nut tree! Their just hungry. :mrlooney:

We have two large pecan trees that they eat every nut off of, they are bad bad animals. I would have thought having a breading pair of falcons on the property and having a cat would have discouraged them, but no....

David, if I liked squirrel at alkl I would, my family (on the moms side) is from the sandhills of Levy county so I know all about eating the critters, I just think they taste awful, I'd rather the falcons dine on them...

I am so sorry to hear about that Alberto! Butia is my favorite genus and they ate my only Butia catariensis the other day, good thing this isnt a hard to find palm. I've kept all of my Butia microspadix (Ive gotten 3 to germinate so far!) under lock and key to prevent this happening to them. If you ever have rare Butia seed that you are willing to part with let me know, I really love these palms!

-Krishna

-Krishna

-Krishna

Sorry to hear about your palm seedlings, but have you actually seen squirrels eat them? My guess is it something else, like rabbits, mice, rats or even grasshoppers.

Unlike rabbits or deer, squirrels cannot digest cellulose and must rely on foods rich in protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Early spring is the hardest time of year for squirrels, since buried nuts begin to sprout and are no longer available for the squirrel to eat, and new food sources have not become available yet. During these times squirrels rely heavily on the buds of trees, in particular, those of the Silver Maple. Squirrels are omnivores; they eat a wide variety of plant food, including nuts, seeds, conifer cones, fruits, fungi, green vegetation, and insects. So, I'm just wondering if you have the right animal doing the damage.

Again sorry to hear about your palms seedlings.

Edited by Palm crazy

Dear Krishna :)

These are our methods that we follow here in kris garden...:rolleyes:

These are to prevent squirrel attacks !

post-108-12779948975194_thumb.jpg

post-108-1277994915917_thumb.jpg

This for summer protection

post-108-12779949851543_thumb.jpg

This one is for root protection,from field rats

post-108-12779950478407_thumb.jpg

By the way all these methods does work for us here.And also want to make a point here is that we do have here few fruit bearing trees but the squirrels love to rip off the new spears from palm seedlings,this drove me to improvise all possible means to discourage these creatures from attacking our young palms,using humane means....:hmm:

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I've heard the best animal for pest control are Jack Russell terriers, or a bobcat. :rolleyes:

Not even flying squirrels can out do these guys.....flying bobcat?

bobcat.jpg

-Krishna

Sorry to hear about your palm seedlings, but have you actually seen squirrels eat them? My guess is it something else, like rabbits, mice, rats or even grasshoppers.

Unlike rabbits or deer, squirrels cannot digest cellulose and must rely on foods rich in protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Early spring is the hardest time of year for squirrels, since buried nuts begin to sprout and are no longer available for the squirrel to eat, and new food sources have not become available yet. During these times squirrels rely heavily on the buds of trees, in particular, those of the Silver Maple. Squirrels are omnivores; they eat a wide variety of plant food, including nuts, seeds, conifer cones, fruits, fungi, green vegetation, and insects. So, I'm just wondering if you have the right animal doing the damage.

Yeah, I've eliminated pretty much every other option. It happens during the middle of the day, they dont really eat it, more just naw through the base and perhaps eat the heart, and we dont have deer here. What infuriates me is that this is the middle of summer so there is so much food for them! Whatever, I like the bobcat idea, after all, I am very fond of cats so what is one more :mrlooney:

I've started building a "palm cage" today which will hopefully be done soon... I'll post photos when done.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Ummm....is that stuff edible? :sick:

Yup, people ate them for a long time around here :mrlooney:

-Krishna

-Krishna

-Krishna

I tend to agree. I have a LOT of squirrels in my garden, and I've never had a problem with growing tips of any young plant, let alone palms being hurt by them. I have however had saplings uprooted (though not eaten) by what used to be a field rat infestation many years ago. With the rats terminated, that has also stopped. Perhaps some sort of bird has taken a fancy to attract a mate by building nests from spears. I have seen crows tap off dry mango branches for this!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

-Krishna

I tend to agree. I have a LOT of squirrels in my garden, and I've never had a problem with growing tips of any young plant, let alone palms being hurt by them. I have however had saplings uprooted (though not eaten) by what used to be a field rat infestation many years ago. With the rats terminated, that has also stopped. Perhaps some sort of bird has taken a fancy to attract a mate by building nests from spears. I have seen crows tap off dry mango branches for this!

Squirrels are a bit different here. I love the cute little palm squirrels in India but ours are quite a bit larger and from what I have seen, much more destructive...

-Krishna

-Krishna

Krishna,

Sorry to hear about your seedlings. I don't have a rodent/squirrel problem at all here.

I have six cats and a husky and they all fight to see who gets the lone stupid squirrel who sets foot on the ground, which does'nt happen too often! I used to find "gifts" on my doorstep but the critters have been wiped out, well,,, the stupid ones anyways! I had to cut a hole in the side of my greenhouse so the cats could get in there because i had a rat infestation. Key word "had"!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

David-

Nice method. Personally I count on Remington to solve my problems with squirrels.

What is your favorite Magic Hat beer? My dad lives about 45 minutes from the brewery, I have been there many times.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I have a bunch of fruit trees. Squirrel is a constant problem. I have found that you have to thin them out and keep them scared. My jack russel right now is under the mango tree. He barks when a bushy tail rat nears. I finish it off with a gamo whisper (scope and silencer). I also trap them. Hav-a-hart trap works great.

Another thing is that you have to have a barrier. For seedlings, chicken cage them like mentioned above. squirrel do indeed eat palm seedlings.

If the damage happens at night, it probably are rats. Daytime damage and it is probably squirrel.

I've become obsessed with squirrel. My lychee just became ripe and the mango are close. If I want fruit, I have to thin them out.

also, for fruit trees, like mango, you can wrap the fruit in newspaper, or any other type of bag that breaths. This will delay the rodents from finding the fruit.

Its a constant battle. Good Luck!

Krishna,

Sorry to hear about your seedlings. I don't have a rodent/squirrel problem at all here.

I have six cats and a husky and they all fight to see who gets the lone stupid squirrel who sets foot on the ground, which does'nt happen too often! I used to find "gifts" on my doorstep but the critters have been wiped out, well,,, the stupid ones anyways! I had to cut a hole in the side of my greenhouse so the cats could get in there because i had a rat infestation. Key word "had"!!

You would think 3 dogs and 2 cats would be effective enough but no. They all think its too hot here to move during the day, while I am outdoors in the yard :mrlooney: Obviously they are smarter than me.

-Krishna

P.S. I did not know Magic Hat was brewed in South Florida.

-Krishna

Personally I am such an animal lover I could never kill a squirrel or other critters, even if I lived in FL. I'm sure I would love your guy's big squirrels.

My personal experience with people who do kill animals for sport or fun usually don't have a very big heart for any animals. :indifferent:

We have California Ground Squirrels around my place and they like to try and dig under the slab of the house and even worse undermine the structural integrity of the concrete footings that my stilts are sitting on. I don't like killing any animals but in this case it's necessisary. Our cat couldn't control the squirrels because they are active during the height of the day, when it's sunny, and when cats are napping. A pellet gun or even a .22 rifle is not effective because unlike the tame squirrels in the local parks, these squirrels are extremely leary of people. If they see you 100 yards away they are in their burrows in a split second. So I've resorted to setting up a bait stations with poison specifically made for CA Ground Squirrels. It works great. They don't roam too far from their burrows so if I have activity on the property I set the bait station out in that area and in a week or so that small group is eliminated and they usually don't come back to that area until the next year. I've only seen one dead squirrel on my property and I disposed of it properly. I was worried about secondary poisoning of Cayotes, Hawks, Vultures, Cats, etc, but they usually die in their burrows and even if an animal eats a dead squirrel, which apparently their usually smart enough not to eat a "sick" one, the poison is an anticuagulent and needs to feed on for multiple days. So a single feeding is not leathal, thus making it safe to use around preditors.

post-126-12780854201758_thumb.png

post-126-12780854245449_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have a bunch of fruit trees. Squirrel is a constant problem. I have found that you have to thin them out and keep them scared. My jack russel right now is under the mango tree. He barks when a bushy tail rat nears. I finish it off with a gamo whisper (scope and silencer). I also trap them. Hav-a-hart trap works great.

Another thing is that you have to have a barrier. For seedlings, chicken cage them like mentioned above. squirrel do indeed eat palm seedlings.

If the damage happens at night, it probably are rats. Daytime damage and it is probably squirrel.

I've become obsessed with squirrel. My lychee just became ripe and the mango are close. If I want fruit, I have to thin them out.

also, for fruit trees, like mango, you can wrap the fruit in newspaper, or any other type of bag that breaths. This will delay the rodents from finding the fruit.

Its a constant battle. Good Luck!

Dave,

It's good to hear that the Lychee trees grow this far north. I was wondering just the other day if they would. I have some seeds to sowe, will they bare good fruit? Do i need to buy a grafted tree? Thanks for any advise in advance!

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

From what I read lychee do not come true to seed and it takes 8 to 15 years to mature for fruit. Air layering is the prefered method of propagation. Orlando would be tough on lychee without protection. 28F is the minimum temp without showing damage and duration of 2-4 hours really hurts it. I'm on South Merritt Island where it is somewhat protected area from the freezing temps. Not warm enough to grow betal nut palms but warm enough for mango and lychee.

Keel moose und skvirrel

Boris & Natasha

rofl7gpcm6.gif

PeachY - Keel moose? What did I do? Jez.

Krishna - After dispatching of the little darlings, marinate and BBQ IMO! laugh.gif

post-1729-12781593007381_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B