IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Laccospadix Australasica

ZoneTenNut

Anyone having luck growing this palm, especially in south florida? I know they are difficult here, but was wondering what I could do to promote its success. I put a one gallon in about 4 or 5 years ago and it has barely moved. Its alive, but languishing.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Here in So Cal, No much luck.

They just croak in the ground.  They love the pots, I think they don't like Clay Soil.

(Not to be confused with Clay Aiken from American Idol.)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Grow fine here. Treat them the way you'd treat a small Howea. They'll never get big like a Howea and they don't really emerge from the canopy as such either. Shade to part shade, good drainage and lots of water will make them look good. In a truly tropical climate they may languish as they're an upland palm, but if there is a distinct cool season somewhere in the year they should be fine.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

i have one in my garden that is in a pretty shady spot.

its been in the ground for 3 years & is doing well.

i saw a large speciman(8-10' tall) in huntington beach,so it seems that they are probably better for so cal than florida.they apparently like cool over-night temps.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(Tyrone @ Dec. 10 2006,03:04)

Grow fine here. Treat them the way you'd treat a small Howea. They'll never get big like a Howea and they don't really emerge from the canopy as such either. Shade to part shade, good drainage and lots of water will make them look good. In a truly tropical climate they may languish as they're an upland palm, but if there is a distinct cool season somewhere in the year they should be fine.

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I have the shade/part shade, good drainage,  and lots of water. Summers are long, hot, and humid, but we do have a distinct cool winter season. It seems to do better in the winter, but has hardly grown at all. Do you know if it needs a more acid soil, as ours if more alkaline here? I also keep it mulched heavily.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(pohonkelapa @ Dec. 10 2006,15:09)

i have one in my garden that is in a pretty shady spot.

its been in the ground for 3 years & is doing well.

i saw a large speciman(8-10' tall) in huntington beach,so it seems that they are probably better for so cal than florida.they apparently like cool over-night temps.

pohonkelapa,

I know the long hot humid summers here are part of the challenge growing this palm in SF, so to be sure this is one of problems. How would you describe the growth rate of this palm in your garden. Slow, Moderate, Fast? Mine is extremely slow.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I only have seedlings, but there are some very fine examples of mature specimens in northern parts of NZ. Very well suited to mild maritime temperate climates. Possibly in same category as other Southern palms such as Howea, Hedyscepe, Rhopalostylis in requirements?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

I have a nice one that is just starting to trunk.  I think it is the clumping variety as there are two trunks and I've pruned off 4-5 suckers over the last few years.  It holds a lot of leaves (10-15 nice leaves maybe), and it has grown, but it's definitely a slow grower.  The tips of the emerging leaves on mine are spaced about 1 foot apart in the spear, so there are usually 3-4 leaves emerging at any given time, but it only opens 3-4 leaves a year.  So 12" of spear movement in 3-4 months for a nearly mature palm is VERY slow.  I have a few palms that grow that much in a week.

Not sure if my photo attachment is going to work, but I'm trying...

Matt

post-6-1165873716_thumb.jpg

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

yup,its working.

looks like a new leaf opening with nice color in the back

of the clump--sweet!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(ZoneTenNut @ Dec. 10 2006,19:57)

(Tyrone @ Dec. 10 2006,03:04)

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I have the shade/part shade, good drainage,  and lots of water. Summers are long, hot, and humid, but we do have a distinct cool winter season. It seems to do better in the winter, but has hardly grown at all. Do you know if it needs a more acid soil, as ours if more alkaline here? I also keep it mulched heavily.

Where they come from in the tablelands behind Cairns is quite rich volcanic soil. Quite new geologically speaking for Oz. Also because they're a rainforest inhabitant the amount of leaf litter is considerable, so I'd assume, though not completely sure, that the pH would be on the acid side. They grow fine in my garden with pH around 6.5. I've never tried them on alkaline soil to be able to comment. What is your pH where you are?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'll try posting this again. It doesn't seem to want to post the photo directly.

Here is one I plantted at my mom's house about 10 years ago from a 1gal. They grow well here if you give them shade and some water during dry times but they are fairly slow growing;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu242....54

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Matt in SD @ Dec. 11 2006,16:48)

I have a nice one that is just starting to trunk.  I think it is the clumping variety as there are two trunks and I've pruned off 4-5 suckers over the last few years.  It holds a lot of leaves (10-15 nice leaves maybe), and it has grown, but it's definitely a slow grower.  The tips of the emerging leaves on mine are spaced about 1 foot apart in the spear, so there are usually 3-4 leaves emerging at any given time, but it only opens 3-4 leaves a year.  So 12" of spear movement in 3-4 months for a nearly mature palm is VERY slow.  I have a few palms that grow that much in a week.

Not sure if my photo attachment is going to work, but I'm trying...

Matt

Smash the swooning sofa, soak the crying towel!

Envy, covetousness, all of that.

Well-done!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Eric in Orlando @ Dec. 12 2006,09:03)

I'll try posting this again. It doesn't seem to want to post the photo directly.

Here is one I plantted at my mom's house about 10 years ago from a 1gal. They grow well here if you give them shade and some water during dry times but they are fairly slow growing;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu242....54

Beautiful palm and very encouraging this has done so well in our soil here. Gives me some hope for mine. However, after five years in the ground, mine is still one gallon pot size. Thinking more and more that it is an issue more in the alkalinity of the soil.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

When you talk about Laccospadis, you must define which variety you have.  As I see it, there are about three forms:

1.  Mountain Form, suckering:  This plant suckers freely, does not throw a new red leaf, has less shine to the leaf, and is a great grower in So Cal.  It is hard to find.  I have one 12 feet tall, has seeded a few times.  

2.  Mountain Form, non-suckering: Single trunk, looks like above, reminds one of a small Howea f., no red leaf, easy to grow but slow.

3.  Lowland Form: Suckers a bit, shiny leaves, new emergent red leaf, slow growing, is the plant typically seen at nurseries under the name "Laccospadix a.", and more susceptible to cultural problems in So Cal.

Of the thee above, #1 is by far the best.   If you find one, buy it.  Maybe we'll get seeds this year; they appear at Christmas.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Phil, as I understand it, the large ones at RSN as #1.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin