IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New species Johannesteijsmanni discovered in the Philippines!!!

Gbarce

post-1017-12751404755169_thumb.jpg

THis just makes me want to cry.

THis Johannesteijsmanni Magnifica was in the shade shade house but in a spot where it got hit by the sun through a gap for maybe 2 hours in the afternoon.

This the effect-- death!

At first the older leaves were just browning at the tips but after a while-- even after we moved it to a shadier spot it just went down hill.

After a few days all of the leaves just dried up and turned brown.

When even the emerging new leaf browned up too I knew it was a goner.

So apparently Joey's aren't sensetive to just root disturbance-- add high heat as well

• Upvote 2

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Yeah... most of the ones that are doing well have been planted in deep shade... Sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately, once they go down hill, it is very hard to bring them back.... There is only one thing left to do, go and get another one.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I got my 3 (one of each species) through a winter here and was patting myself on the back until just after xmas when we had a really hot spell and they ALL croaked. !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I'm pleased as can be to have a 3-leaf Joey altifrons and J. perakensis push a new leaf. The spear on the J. altifrons is just opening. drool.gif

Sorry about your loss Gene. I had no idea they were so sensitive to light! J. magnifica too! sad.gif

What kind of heat are we talking about peeps? Mine see highs of 30-32 Celsius / 85-90 Fahrenheit - in a shaded spot in the greenhouse.

Thats temperately warm John, we are talking about hot weather.

Peachy

27.35 south.

How ironic that I can enjoy the healthy growth of a Joey as a houseplant indoors in Scotland (thanks again John!). Gutted for you Gene :(

Mark Peters

Indoor palm grower

Monifieth, near Dundee

Scotland's sunny NE coast

How ironic that I can enjoy the healthy growth of a Joey as a houseplant indoors in Scotland (thanks again John!). Gutted for you Gene :(

Mark, I think they make for a great indoor palm!

Thanks Peachy, for the clarification. It always plays on my mind when people say "watch the heat" in reference to sensitive young palms.

THis Johannesteijsmanni Magnifica was in the shade shade house but in a spot where it got hit by the sun through a gap for maybe 2 hours in the afternoon.

This the effect-- death!

At first the older leaves were just browning at the tips but after a while-- even after we moved it to a shadier spot it just went down hill.

So apparently Joey's aren't sensetive to just root disturbance-- add high heat as well

:D

Well this will stuff you all up.

Joey's ABSOLUTELY HATE ROOT DISTURBANCE ![we all know that]

Also come to sudden DEATH with not the correct PH ........... they like it ALKALINE. Standard potting mix goes off very quickly.....you need a rock like marble or old cement /concrete to slowly leech lime into the soil.........or regular application of dolimite. Up to 4 times a year - recommend on the change of the season so you remember - less is more princable.

HEAT........I am not sure about that we go to 46.C in the nursery under the shade cloth/bush house.

Our hot house under hard roof goes to 46.C as well.

And I have some self sewn seedlings now 1.2metres tall been growing in FULL SUN for years.......probably 8 years.

Two varieties....must check again which ones but for sure to include altifrons.

:hmm:

In habitat I believe it is HUMUDITY that we have to reproduces in our gardens for these tropical plants to thrive along with warmth.

:)

cheers with a beer

Teresa

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Teresa,

If you were re-potting (carefully) a strap-leaf Joey and were going to add a few small lumps of concrete, would you put them in the bottom of the pot below a few inches of new soil, then drop the seedling in the pot, or would you put them in the top of the pot? Thanks!

Teresa,

If you were re-potting (carefully) a strap-leaf Joey and were going to add a few small lumps of concrete, would you put them in the bottom of the pot below a few inches of new soil, then drop the seedling in the pot, or would you put them in the top of the pot? Thanks!

On the bottom and fill with potting mix.

like the orchid guys use polystrene foam at a filler

for drainage on there orchids with the bark

The trick with re potting

these guys .......IT IS VERY DIFFICULT.

Is to have a very tight root ball before re potting.

sometimes better to wait till root bound

in the meantime a pinch on dolimite sprinkled on the top 4 times a year.

eg on a 1 to 4 leaf seedling. well watered. [ less is more - make your own judgement

on application of this.]

With the rock eg concrete.......you can not over do it.

In habitat Joey's grow between rock bolders and with heavy leaf litter.

To simulate this is difficult as we all have different soil types.

To cheat you can plant in it's pot when you find the perfect position.

I have waited until they have nearly filled a 10 pot and planted in the

garden in it's pot. [ not exactly environmentally friendly.]

But worked a treat.

In the short term the Bonus is if it is not working out you can move it.

If joeys like alkaline soil, perhaps that's why my J. lanceolata is just barely clinging to life in a 1g pot? Should I add some calcium carbonite in the form of shells (our alkaline soil here is sand and fossil shells)? Can I put some on the surface of the potting mix and let them leach out during watering? If they are that root sensitive I don't want to disturb it by repotting. It doesn't look healthy enough to plant out in the garden yet with only 3 strap leaves and I fear it can't survive winter, esp. one like the last. Teresa, thanks for any advice that may save my little one.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

If joeys like alkaline soil, perhaps that's why my J. lanceolata is just barely clinging to life in a 1g pot? Should I add some calcium carbonite in the form of shells (our alkaline soil here is sand and fossil shells)? Can I put some on the surface of the potting mix and let them leach out during watering? If they are that root sensitive I don't want to disturb it by repotting. It doesn't look healthy enough to plant out in the garden yet with only 3 strap leaves and I fear it can't survive winter, esp. one like the last. Teresa, thanks for any advice that may save my little one.

:unsure:

I hope that the top application of your shells works.

They are had to grow even for the experienced grower.

Many have made peace with the soil before today at Utopia.

Seeds that germinate prior to sewing even die if the humidity drops they must stay moist. Even seed that is harvested must stay moist in transit to sewing - when outer seed covering cracks...........IT IS HISTORY. :rage:

and will not germinate. :(

Teresa

Thanks, Teresa. It's clung to life since I got it 15 months ago. If it goes I won't try again.

Meg

Florida

Meg,

They are worth trying again!!! I killed one so far, and I will try again with different approach this time... After seeing how beautiful they are in Singapore... I want to have a whole field full of them...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Interesting about the lime. I've got 4 J altifrons that I got in bare rooted that I've been growing for about 4 years successfully. I've never repotted them, and the pots sit in a tray so they don't touch the ground. I'm scared to repot, but the mix must be getting a bit acidic now. I think I might try and lime it up a bit and see how they go.

Thanks for the info Teresa

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Mikey(CalyptrocalycLicuala and Freck) tipped us off about the lime.

I've been placing chunks of broken concrete hollow blocks on the the surface of the soil in my pots.

I do this for Licualas, Joeys, iguanuras, and calyptocalyx

seems to work just fine

Hmmmm Joey Magnificas are so hard to come by

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Well well. You learn something everyday! Thanks Teresa!

I have a magnifica and 3 altifrons out in the garden. The best of them is an altifrons that I planted bag an all. The #*"! Moles just keep disturbing the others, they alive but not happy campers.

Going to apply some concrete on them all this morning!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Well if I am ever affluent enough (and stupid enough) to try any of the Joeys again, I will put them in some of the concrete pots I have here. I really do love them but with the 100% attrition rate added to the initial high purchase costs, its a bit daunting for me even now that I am armed with new knowledge. Anyway it is now winter so I am only going to plant tough cold hardy things if I even bother to buy any. (yeah you all say...that'll be the day)

Peachy

27.35 south.

So sorry to hear of the loss of the J.magnifica. I do appreciate all of the discussion; it will help me avoid problems with my J. altifrons. I have one in the ground under a white orchid tree (Bauhinia something); it seems to be doing well, not growing too fast, maybe some lime will help it. The other one is still in a 1 or 2 gal. blk plastic pot. I germinated the seeds; these are the only survivors from ten seeds. I also germinated about three out of five J. magnifica seeds. They all died; I think back now and believe they got too much sun, even though it was partially shady. Maybe I'll try again, if I can locate more seeds. :hmm: They will be able to join the ever lengthening list of palms in the garden that I may never get to see full grown. At least not from the current perspective. :rolleyes::unsure::huh::( Thanks for all the tips, I'm sure my Joeys will appreciate having me more informed about their needs. :D

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

This the effect-- death!

Hi Gene, I feel sorry for your loss...I've had my biggest J. magnifica (almost a meter tall) do the same last year when I tried to pot it up and moved it into a different spot. I guess J. altifrons are much less sensitive palms than magnificas...I've done the same thing with many altifrons and they grew stronger than before...

My only two remaining Joey magnifica are sitting in their small pots because I'm really undecided about taking the risk again...I've lost 2 of these already and the process is very quick, like shown in your picture... :(

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 weeks later...

Well if I am ever affluent enough (and stupid enough) to try any of the Joeys again, I will put them in some of the concrete pots I have here. I really do love them but with the 100% attrition rate added to the initial high purchase costs, its a bit daunting for me even now that I am armed with new knowledge. Anyway it is now winter so I am only going to plant tough cold hardy things if I even bother to buy any. (yeah you all say...that'll be the day)

Peachy

Oh goody! Another species I can't grow! crying.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 7 years later...

GREAT little old post! Any other Johannesteijsmannia growing tips? :yay: Preferably for potted Joeys?

On 5/29/2010, 4:38:26, PalmatierMeg said:

Meg, did you end up trying the shells? 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Well, one keeps learning. A BIG thanks for the bump.

This is one palm I have marginal success with, so the info is most helpful. 

I keep trying though, as they are too beautiful to ignore. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 hours ago, Missi said:

GREAT little old post! Any other Johannesteijsmannia growing tips? :yay: Preferably for potted Joeys?

Meg, did you end up trying the shells? 

The lanceolatas are long gone but I have two J. altifrons that are doing okay in pots. I will likely never plant them. One thing I didn't know about Joeys back then: they are highly root sensitive so take special care with them.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I agree with what has been mentioned. I got 10 seeds from RPS and 3 germinated. One died early on and two were potted into plastic potting bags. I put one in a decorative pot and kept one in the planting bag. The potted one thrived and eventually outgrew the pot.It was top heavy and would blow over every time we had strong winds. I tried to transfer it to a larger pot and despite my best efforts it died.

The remaining Joey I planted out in the garden. It was planted in the potting bag with just small slits cut on the sides. That was six years ago and it is doing great. It is planted on a pile of construction debris. The area is filled with wire, cement bits, gravel, bones from the workers lunches. They tried to hide all this trash before leaving the work site.

• Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

This photo is from February 2017.

Happily growing on the construction debris pile.

IMG_0255.thumb.jpg.74eb30f84a013b6058018

• Upvote 5

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

2 hours ago, scottgt said:

That was six years ago and it is doing great. It is planted on a pile of construction debris. The area is filled with wire, cement bits, gravel, bones from the workers lunches. They tried to hide all this trash before leaving the work site.

Good growing mix receipt, thanks.

Rio_Grande.gif

My Joey growing under shade cloth between house and carport.  It is growing in a 5-gal plastic container but has rooted into the ground so I will just leave it there as is.  Nice to know that they prefer alkaline soils.  Here are 2-pics to give you an idea what it looks like and where it is growing.

Joey palm  4-'16.JPG

Zamia parasidica  5-'17 (1).JPG

• Upvote 4

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

On 8/8/2017, 5:19:31, PalmatierMeg said:

The lanceolatas are long gone but I have two J. altifrons that are doing okay in pots. I will likely never plant them. One thing I didn't know about Joeys back then: they are highly root sensitive so take special care with them.

I've read many accounts of them being root sensitive for some, but not for all! I will certainly heed warnings and be extra careful when potting up Perhaps those who had issues repotting them did it when the weather was not ideal? Do you know what did your laceolatas in? Have you tried magnifica? I've had an altifrons for a couple years now and magnifica for a year. Only issue I've had thus far is that scale insects seem to love them. A treatment of a little systemic and then a moist q-tip a week later does the trick, though!

On 8/9/2017, 4:18:09, Al in Kona said:

My Joey growing under shade cloth between house and carport.  It is growing in a 5-gal plastic container but has rooted into the ground so I will just leave it there as is.  Nice to know that they prefer alkaline soils.  Here are 2-pics to give you an idea what it looks like and where it is growing.

Joey palm  4-'16.JPG

Zamia parasidica  5-'17 (1).JPG

How wonderful it is!! :wub: Thanks for sharing!