IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Replanting palm trees on a University campus in Florida

kylecawazafla

I just got permission to replace the palms that were killed by the freeze this winter. This winter was exceptionally cold, and the temperatures reached the teens in parts of the city, but the courtyard managed to stay in the mid 20s! (like - 4/5 C?). Everyone told me that this winter was the coldest they have seen since the 80s. I was unpleasantly surprised by how many palms died from the cold.

Dead: (most were very small!)

Caryota 'himalayana'

Prestoea acuminata

Chamaedorea plumosa

Chamaedorea metallica

Dypsis lutescens (1 of 3 died of cold)

Archontophoenix tuckeri

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana "illawara"

Hyophorbe verschaffeltia

Arenga pinnata

Cocos nucifera

Survived but with damage:

Wallichia densiflora

Arenga micrantha

Epipremnum aureum (not a palm XP)

Dypsis decipiens

Bismarckia nobilis

Dypsis lutescens

Ravenea rivularis

Rhapis "singapore dwarf"

Acrocomia totai

Sabal uresana

Survived without problems:

Sabal causiarum

Lytocaryum wendlandianum (but it died because of a weedwacker!!!)

Sabal (unknown type, but I think it's Rosei)

Livistona decipiens

Livistona australis

Livistona mariae

Washingtonia robusta

Chamaedorea radicalis

Chamaedorea cataractum

Livistona saribus

Butyagrus

Arenga engleri

I may be missing some.

Anyways, if anyone has some palms in the Florida area they are willing to donate this summer, send me a PM or comment here. I am probably going to go to South Florida within the next month or so. Seedlings are not a good idea to plant, since the maintenance department is very "trigger happy" when it comes to thinks like lawn mowers, weedwackers, trucks(?!?!), and I'm sure other things. I would post pictures of it, and still can on request, but it is not much to look at now. :( The existing palms are growing though!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Try licuala peltata var sumawongii

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I was at UF in 1983 for the big freeze that year. Made me wonder why I had left CO to go to school in FL.

Surprised the Sabal uresana was damaged. I have one here that was unscathed by 12F and 12 hours below 15F.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Good luck Kyle. Replacement palms will no doubt inspire the maintenance dept. to treat them with a little more reverence!

Our Best Wishes to you Kyle; I think Alumni, Student body and Faculty all appreciate your efforts!

Best Wishes,

Merrill,

Professor Emeritus, U. F.

Edited by merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Hey! Thank you Ken! I'll send you a message the next time I head down there! It would also be cool to see your place too, since I have only seen it in pictures.

I really hope that the palms are treated with more reverence once some are replaced. It was very frustrating to always see them being damaged. Right now they are doing construction in the area, so I am always nervous the trucks are going to go over them. The palms aren't in the way, but it's just if someone backs out without looking and goes into a bed, the palms would be the first thing to go.

I was also surprised by the Sabal uresana getting damaged! Maybe it was mislabeled when I received it? There is a large Sabal causiarum right next to the baby S. uresana that was also damaged. The seedling S. causiarum was fine this winter.

Thank you very much Merrill!

Edited by kylecawazafla

the baby S. uresana that was also damaged. The seedling S. causiarum was fine this winter.

Sounds like maybe the Sabal uresana is really a Sabal causiarum, and the Sabal causiarum is a Sabal uresana.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Hi, Kyle:

mjff has offered a insightful explanation for relative damage to S. causiarum vs. S. uresana, which is in considerable agreement with my own experience.

Best Wishes,

merrill

Edited by merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Kyle,

Bummer the Caryota died, that thing was starting to take off. You can have another if you want to try again. Hopefully we'll go another 10 years or so before we see temps like that again.

If the Caryota hasn't been removed, I would cut about 4 inched off of the top to see if you can find any green. I had one at the house that I forgot about and left outside the greenhouse that saw well below 20f and completely defoliated. Its pushing up a new spear as of this week and hopefully will make it.

The offer for some replacement plants still stands. I will give you a call.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I just got permission to replace the palms that were killed by the freeze this winter. This winter was exceptionally cold, and the temperatures reached the teens in parts of the city, but the courtyard managed to stay in the mid 20s! (like - 4/5 C?). Everyone told me that this winter was the coldest they have seen since the 80s. I was unpleasantly surprised by how many palms died from the cold.

Dead: (most were very small!)

Caryota 'himalayana'

Prestoea acuminata

Chamaedorea plumosa

Chamaedorea metallica

Dypsis lutescens (1 of 3 died of cold)

Archontophoenix tuckeri

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana "illawara"

Hyophorbe verschaffeltia

Arenga pinnata

Cocos nucifera

Survived but with damage:

Wallichia densiflora

Arenga micrantha

Epipremnum aureum (not a palm XP)

Dypsis decipiens

Bismarckia nobilis

Dypsis lutescens

Ravenea rivularis

Rhapis "singapore dwarf"

Acrocomia totai

Sabal uresana

Survived without problems:

Sabal causiarum

Lytocaryum wendlandianum (but it died because of a weedwacker!!!)

Sabal (unknown type, but I think it's Rosei)

Livistona decipiens

Livistona australis

Livistona mariae

Washingtonia robusta

Chamaedorea radicalis

Chamaedorea cataractum

Livistona saribus

Butyagrus

Arenga engleri

I may be missing some.

Anyways, if anyone has some palms in the Florida area they are willing to donate this summer, send me a PM or comment here. I am probably going to go to South Florida within the next month or so. Seedlings are not a good idea to plant, since the maintenance department is very "trigger happy" when it comes to thinks like lawn mowers, weedwackers, trucks(?!?!), and I'm sure other things. I would post pictures of it, and still can on request, but it is not much to look at now. :( The existing palms are growing though!

I can donate a couple 5 foot xbutyagrus if you find a good spot for them. Email Erik at sales@mulepalm.com

Kyle,

Shoot me a PM when your down this way next. I'm in western Broward County. I have a Chamaedorea microspadix that I know will laugh at any cold you get, one or two species of Butia, and others I'm sure. This is a hell of a project that you've taken on and it needs to continue on. Thanks for all your time and effort.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey! I'm actually in Miami right now. I decided to come here this morning. I will PM you guys my phone number and you can call or text me anytime to organize something. I am leaving on memorial day, so this is a very quick visit!

I agree with what Tank was saying about the Caryota "himalayana". Mine totally defoliated too, but now has a tall spear opening. The trunk is at least 13 feet tall and survived 20F or below several nights. You might try it again; it is a lot hardier than some people think, and grows quite quickly.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

• 1 year later...

Now that Kyle has graduated and left the University, just curious what the facility maintenance "keystone cops" have done to keep Kyle's plantings alive? :blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Kyle,

Bummer the Caryota died, that thing was starting to take off. You can have another if you want to try again. Hopefully we'll go another 10 years or so before we see temps like that again.

If the Caryota hasn't been removed, I would cut about 4 inched off of the top to see if you can find any green. I had one at the house that I forgot about and left outside the greenhouse that saw well below 20f and completely defoliated. Its pushing up a new spear as of this week and hopefully will make it.

The offer for some replacement plants still stands. I will give you a call.

Kyle,

I had the exact same experience with a Caryota ochlandra ? here in Jax--- it survived then it broke off mid trunk about 10 feet up--- real bummer --- I had a large C. himalaya that survived --- totally defoliated and it only put up one frond over the summer ---- very slow growing over 10 years old and only 4 foot of trunk but none the less alive.

Kyle The S. yungagenis survived here in Jax (out side in a pot ) during the bad 2 winters. If I had more I would give you but you are welcome to as many L. saribus, chinensis and australis that you care to help me dig up.

also I would nt expect much more than indifference from the maintenance staff --- we wne thru the same thin at FCCj South here in Jax--- the effort really boiled down to 3 persons (once you subtracted out the folks that had other vested interests) ; Mat Encinosa , Walter Rogers, and my self yet after 23 years we have a permanent garden that will live on for perpetuity. The gardens at Oakland Ca boil down to the efforts of a single person , so dont get discouraged by the results 23 years from now it will be a testiment to the ages.

Best

Ed Brown

Snapped some pics of the Kyles UF campus plantings. He tucked some stuff away so I'm sure I missed some plants.

Wallichia disticha (I think, as I remember there being two species of Wallichia)

post-526-073513300 1331064569_thumb.jpg

Kerriodoxa elgans

post-526-098267300 1331064781_thumb.jpg

Ravenea rivularis (I think?) w/ Wallichia densiflora (I think) in the back

post-526-035544500 1331064861_thumb.jpg

Wallichia densiflora

post-526-090403300 1331064978_thumb.jpg

post-526-047384600 1331065002_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Flattened Caryota maxima.

Not sure how this happened but it still seems to be doing ok so I might drive by with a shovel this week and straighten it out.

post-526-084648800 1331066993_thumb.jpg

Livistona saribus

post-526-045419100 1331067026_thumb.jpg

Unknown palms w/closeup, assuming they are Chamaedorea radicalis

post-526-042499200 1331067056_thumb.jpg

post-526-005882500 1331067106_thumb.jpg

Mule

post-526-066633400 1331067214_thumb.jpg

Ravenea rivularus?

post-526-027929500 1331067175_thumb.jpg

Arenga, I knew he had both engleri and micranthra but I only saw one. looks like engleri

post-526-097831000 1331067253_thumb.jpg

Unknown palm, new spear had red fuzz on it, assuming its Dypsis decipiens. If it is this, it looks really good, with only minor leaf tip burn on one of the older leaves.

post-526-060879000 1331067321_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Last pics,

Livistona decora and a nitida or australis

post-526-008404700 1331141235_thumb.jpg

Copernicia alba is growing very fast

post-526-013319700 1331141473_thumb.jpg

Overview of the Sabal, Livistona, Copernicia area

post-526-050804500 1331141569_thumb.jpg

Big mule

post-526-093180800 1331141595_thumb.jpg

Big Brahea armata across the plaza at the school of Journalism. Probably one of the biggest B. armatas in Florida.

post-526-056883000 1331141671_thumb.jpg

post-526-054761800 1331141690_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

The Wallichias are more cold hardy than I thought (and they are probably planted in an optimum microclimate). Both looked completely unscathed.

Only plants that I couldn't find:

Rhapis "singapore dwarf"

Acrocomia totai

Arenga micrantha

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Wow, great pictures. The "Ravenea rivularis" in post 18, pic no. 6 appears to be a Lytocaryum (soon to be Syagrus) weddellianum.

It's a bit startling how hardy some of the Arengas are!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hello Jason! Thank you so much for the photo updates of the palms! You covered most of them! It is so cool to see how they are doing, and thank you for the pics. I can't believe the Kerriodoxa is looking so good! Thank you for that one, Jason! The Wallichia disticha is actually the Arenga micrantha. I can't believe it's still alive. It normally only holds onto one leaf. I put it "in the bushes" because I was afraid that it would get too much cold exposure, but instead it looks like all it wants is sun exposure! It was very cool to see these!

Kyle,

Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought there were two species of wallichia in the plants you were keeping at my house. Also, I'll try and get the Caryota straightened up this week.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jason - your a good man taking care of Kyle's babies! :D Thanks for the photo update, I thought surely they were goners after Kyle moved. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B