IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An impossibly tall and skinny

bubba

This specimen is on the grounds of Henry Flagler's Whitehall. I am uncertain what variety but it is something to look at:

P1020707.jpg

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

The crown looks reminiscient of a Washingtonia or possibly a Thrinax? If you had gone around the tree you would have got a better shot.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

John, Bubba tells it like it is. He was standing under the tree, so that's what you get. He don't play. I once saw Bubba eat a sandwhich right out of his hand!

post-126-12737899168352_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

john its either brutally hot or freezing cold in floriduh.if bubba had gone out from under that tree he wouldve exposed himself to one or both of these conditions--a dangerous move.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

John, Bubba tells it like it is. He was standing under the tree, so that's what you get. He don't play. I once saw Bubba eat a sandwhich right out of his hand!

kids,always remember to take generic pix of PT members whenever you go on a PRA so that you have stuff like this on hand to snark them with whenever you deem it appropriate. :greenthumb:

still "warning-free."

:D:lol::lol:

Wow...forget about the crown...the height of the Palm is awesome... :winkie:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

You folks are working me like a mule! I try to post something you may find interesting and I get whupped up on by Epic, Matt and Paul.Not that I do not deserve it but I am bored.I know I can't hold the camera right because of that problem I had with a reptile but just know my heart is in the right place.

I do appreciate Gileno's comments because that is one weirdly tall Palm. Admittedly, the picture does not do it justice but I read up on the IPS site and found a rather incredible article written by Carlo Morici in the 2002 edition of Principes on a Palm referred to as Cocothrinax boschiana. There are some fascinating shots of the Palm in it's native habitat in the DR on a cliff near the ocean. It's appearance and heighth are similar.

I seem to remember a group of nearly identical Cocothrinax that we saw when Paul and Matt came to Fairchild with Ken.

I admit that I was standing under the tree.I admit that I tell it like it is.I admit I fear danger and ate that sandwich.

• Upvote 1

You folks are working me like a mule! I try to post something you may find interesting and I get whupped up on by Epic, Matt and Paul.Not that I do not deserve it but I am bored.I know I can't hold the camera right because of that problem I had with a reptile but just know my heart is in the right place.

I do appreciate Gileno's comments because that is one weirdly tall Palm. Admittedly, the picture does not do it justice but I read up on the IPS site and found a rather incredible article written by Carlo Morici in the 2002 edition of Principes on a Palm referred to as Cocothrinax boschiana. There are some fascinating shots of the Palm in it's native habitat in the DR on a cliff near the ocean. It's appearance and heighth are similar.

I seem to remember a group of nearly identical Cocothrinax that we saw when Paul and Matt came to Fairchild with Ken.

I admit that I was standing under the tree.I admit that I tell it like it is.I admit I fear danger and ate that sandwich.

Come on guys, how can you pick on someone w/a name like Bubba? How American can that be? The name, not the picking!!! :-)

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Got any pics of that sandwich? Nice palm BTW.

Odessa, Tx on the southern Llano Estacado! USDA Z7b, Arborday.org Z8

Oh, here's a yodeling video, to be totally inappropriate . . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

john its either brutally hot or freezing cold in floriduh.if bubba had gone out from under that tree he wouldve exposed himself to one or both of these conditions--a dangerous move.

He might also be in jail. This just in from WSVN News.....Man with camera seen at various locations across S. Florida. While stating that he was just taking pictures of palms (c'mon....who really does that? That's just plain uncommon), it became clear that banks in the vicinity were being robbed. Investigators, etc.....

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

That is one tall palm, estimated height is?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

I'm pretty sure he's standing next to a Coccothrinax crinita, the old yodleing man palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Took a trip back to Mr. Flagler's Whitehall to get a better look at the Palm, which is the subject of this discussion. It is tall and getting a good picture is hard but here goes:

P1020712.jpg

This gives some idea about the thin nature of it's trunk:

P1020713.jpg

By the way, the birthday boy(Ken) was correcto:

P1020716.jpg

I think Matt is putting words in this old boy's mouth!

• Upvote 3

The house looks like 30' so palm is about 60. Anyone else think it's a Thrinax?

BTW it was turkey as I remember. Rye?

ken johnson nails the palm and i'd wager the sandwhich,as well. :winkie:

still "warning-free."

Very Funny!

Kinda like "Heidi Meets Lawrence Whelk"

:D

• 5 years later...

Back in the days when a thread could be funny. There were some players and even contenders!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bubba said:

Back in the days when a thread could be funny. There were some players and even contenders!

Clearly, this forum is just a shadow of what it used to be.

That is a heck of a palm, whatever it is. Was that ever decided?

Have to go yodel down the elevator shaft of the Dark Tower . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Davorino, Had not watched that yodeling before.It was great. I remember the announcer in that gigg and he introduced Leo Kottkee to a German audience and Leo played some slide guitar that nearly went  nuclear with Power Failure and Tilt Billings. That tall specimen is a Thrinax radiata and it is amusing.

• 1 year later...

Sucker seems skinner and taller 7 years latter. I guffawed and then went on to buick