Tijuca Forest National Park

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gileno Machado

Gileno Machado

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

One of the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro was unfortunetly closed down for visits during the IPS Biennial. I haven't visited the place since I was very young, with my parents, and I was expecting to come back last month with our IPS mates but the strong rainstorms in Rio in early April resulted in several landslides so the access to all roads and trails (including the old Imperial Chinese Vista and the tram to Corcovado) was forbidden for tourists and visitors for security reasons so we went to Flamengo Park and Pão de Açucar instead.
The Tijuca Forest was the first National Park established in Brazil and it represents the largest urban Forest Eco-system in the world, declared Biosphere Reserve of the planet by UNESCO a few years ago. Many species of palms are found in the Park, as well as many other native and exotic plants.
Now they are starting to allow the visits again...take a look at this slideshow pictorial:

http://Tijuca Forest

For everyone who enjoyed the stay in Rio, it's one more reason to come back in the future... :winkie:
Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil
Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S
Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C
2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 amazondk

amazondk

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

One of the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro was unfortunetly closed down for visits during the IPS Biennial. I haven't visited the place since I was very young, with my parents, and I was expecting to come back last month with our IPS mates but the strong rainstorms in Rio in early April resulted in several landslides so the access to all roads and trails (including the old Imperial Chinese Vista and the tram to Corcovado) was forbidden for tourists and visitors for security reasons so we went to Flamengo Park and Pão de Açucar instead.
The Tijuca Forest was the first National Park established in Brazil and it represents the largest urban Forest Eco-system in the world, declared Biosphere Reserve of the planet by UNESCO a few years ago. Many species of palms are found in the Park, as well as many other native and exotic plants.
Now they are starting to allow the visits again...take a look at this slideshow pictorial:

http://Tijuca Forest

For everyone who enjoyed the stay in Rio, it's one more reason to come back in the future... :winkie:

Gileno,

That is too bad that you could not go to Tijuca forest. It is a great place. I always loved to explore there. The fact that it is the result of a reforestation program in the 19th century is also unique. I know the cariocas always say that Tijuca is the largest urban tropical forest, but in reality the Reserva Ducke in Manaus at 10,000 hecatares is nearly three times larger and it is in the city limits of Manaus. Unfortunately the place has very poor infrastructure unlike Tijuca. The views of Rio from the forest roads is one of the best views in the world.

dk
Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO
03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West
Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level
1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta
Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .
Posted Image

Click here to visit Amazonas
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users