Tijuca Forest National Park

2 posts in this topic

One of the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro was unfortunetly closed down for visits during the IPS Biennial. I haven't visited the place since I was very young, with my parents, and I was expecting to come back last month with our IPS mates but the strong rainstorms in Rio in early April resulted in several landslides so the access to all roads and trails (including the old Imperial Chinese Vista and the tram to Corcovado) was forbidden for tourists and visitors for security reasons so we went to Flamengo Park and Pão de Açucar instead.

The Tijuca Forest was the first National Park established in Brazil and it represents the largest urban Forest Eco-system in the world, declared Biosphere Reserve of the planet by UNESCO a few years ago. Many species of palms are found in the Park, as well as many other native and exotic plants.

Now they are starting to allow the visits again...take a look at this slideshow pictorial:

http://Tijuca Forest

For everyone who enjoyed the stay in Rio, it's one more reason to come back in the future... :winkie:

One of the main attractions of Rio de Janeiro was unfortunetly closed down for visits during the IPS Biennial. I haven't visited the place since I was very young, with my parents, and I was expecting to come back last month with our IPS mates but the strong rainstorms in Rio in early April resulted in several landslides so the access to all roads and trails (including the old Imperial Chinese Vista and the tram to Corcovado) was forbidden for tourists and visitors for security reasons so we went to Flamengo Park and Pão de Açucar instead.

The Tijuca Forest was the first National Park established in Brazil and it represents the largest urban Forest Eco-system in the world, declared Biosphere Reserve of the planet by UNESCO a few years ago. Many species of palms are found in the Park, as well as many other native and exotic plants.

Now they are starting to allow the visits again...take a look at this slideshow pictorial:

http://Tijuca Forest

For everyone who enjoyed the stay in Rio, it's one more reason to come back in the future... :winkie:

Gileno,

That is too bad that you could not go to Tijuca forest. It is a great place. I always loved to explore there. The fact that it is the result of a reforestation program in the 19th century is also unique. I know the cariocas always say that Tijuca is the largest urban tropical forest, but in reality the Reserva Ducke in Manaus at 10,000 hecatares is nearly three times larger and it is in the city limits of Manaus. Unfortunately the place has very poor infrastructure unlike Tijuca. The views of Rio from the forest roads is one of the best views in the world.

dk