IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal causiarum

AJQ

After doing a search I still can't find enough info on this one.

Anyone growing these?

I'm after the usual info on :

Cold Hardiness, frost tolerance, light requirements, soil requirements, wind tolerance, sun tolerance, growth rate

( I know they are meant to be quite slow)

and heat requirements etc, etc.

Many thanks.

Regards Andy.

Edited by AJQ

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Here is what I have learned about it from various sources:

Cold Hardiness: Supposedly fine for 9a, all of my sabals were fine with our wicked cold winter here, with only maritima damaging at 20 degrees

frost tolerance: Im not entirely sure of this one but Ive heard its pretty good, but not sure they could handle ice or snow

light requirements: All Sabals (except minor) need high light if you dont want to be dead before they are 15 ft tall

soil requirements: from what Ive seen these arent too picky, they seem to grow just as well in clay as they do in sand

wind tolerance: they are native to a very Hurricane prone island so wind tolerance is good, as it is in most sabals

sun tolerance: The more the better

growth rate: Slow as you said, but I have also heard that once they get a trunk they speed up

heat requirements: Sabals really seem to need a lot of heat to get going

Hope this helps some!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Thanks for the info guys & girls.

I also hear that they don't need as much heat as other Sabals to grow reasonably well.

Is this indeed the case?

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

I thought that was Sabal bermudana that didnt need as much heat. Causiarum being from Puerto Rico should need a lot of heat. Not entirely sure on this one though.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Hmmmm..... going to have to re-think this one and do more research. I have not found a lot of relevant info on it yet.

Thanks for your help though.

Regards Andy.

I thought that was Sabal bermudana that didnt need as much heat. Causiarum being from Puerto Rico should need a lot of heat. Not entirely sure on this one though.

-Krishna

I've heard that this is the case too - bermudana is supposedly best for cool summer areas.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I have one in the backyard here in South Carolina. We saw night after night of 20 degree weather this winter and about 40% frost damage to leaves. Stems were fine. It actually grows rather fast if you fertilize it. The leaves are HUGE.

• Like 1

Cold Hardiness=zone 9 or upper 8 :), frost tolerance=i think they have some, light requirements=high, soil requirements=they almost don't require soil :mrlooney: , wind tolerance=very good, sun tolerance=high, growth rate=one of the fastest sabals,heat requirements=high.

I have a few grown from seed, now almost 4 years old, still in pots. A very trouble free palm, it handles strong winds very well (I live in a very windy area), it doesn't mind long periods of cool weather either. Its growth rate is not very fast but definitely not the slowest growing in my collection. In my climate it starts growing new leaves once the daytime temps rise to around 19-20C and up, which means around 7 months per year for us. In this period of time it may grow 4-5 new leaves which is not bad at all. It needs daytime temps to around 30-35C to grow in its fastest, though, below 25C it's a slugger. Mine have taken down to -3C with frost as 1.5 years old seedlings, showing no damage at all. They also like full sun. Actually full sun and strong heat all day is their favorite environment.

• Like 1

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

I have several in Augusta, Ga. They do very well, but we had a freak snow storm this winter (8") that really bent the leaves down. The bent leaves haven't straightened up, but new leaves are emerging nicely. I am in zone 8.

trunkS.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Wow! Great looking specimens!

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

This palm grows well for me in Puerto Rico, understandable since one common name is the Puerto Rican hat palm. It thrives in full sun with no special care. It does take up alot of room though, but it's worth it.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Wow, I didn't realise they got that Big! Looks like Bizzie country........... :drool:

Regards Andy.

I know I've posted this pic before, but it's awesome!

Notice the liguels (papery flaps) amongts the leaf bases, that's how you can tell it's S. causiarum. If it doesn't have that, and it's a huge one, it's probably S. dominguensis or S. maritima.

post-126-12729888613589_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That's another awesome photo Matt, thanks for sharing, I had not seen this one.

How old is it?

Regards Andy.

• 10 years later...
On 5/3/2010 at 6:34 AM, JLeVert said:

I have several in Augusta, Ga. They do very well, but we had a freak snow storm this winter (8") that really bent the leaves down. The bent leaves haven't straightened up, but new leaves are emerging nicely. I am in zone 8.

trunkS.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

What temperatures have your trees survived?

I am growing one in San Antonio, Texas.  I am in the Hill Country on the border of 8b/9a (so, 8b).  The picture was taken last June, and it was approximately 3 years old at the time.  I grew it from seed, and put it in the ground after one year of growth.  It is still kicking and even bigger.  I have another one in a pot that I keep outside all year round.  If you are truly in a solid 9a, then you should be fine to put one in the ground.

20200628_120321.jpg

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2021 at 7:36 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

I am growing one in San Antonio, Texas.  I am in the Hill Country on the border of 8b/9a (so, 8b).  The picture was taken last June, and it was approximately 3 years old at the time.  I grew it from seed, and put it in the ground after one year of growth.  It is still kicking and even bigger.  I have another one in a pot that I keep outside all year round.  If you are truly in a solid 9a, then you should be fine to put one in the ground.

20200628_120321.jpg

Any updates on the ass rating?

There is a Adolescent Sabal causarium at Mercer Arboretum in Northern Harris County. It probably saw around 12F. I am sure it is defoliated. Maybe by summer it will come back. 

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Two smaller ones I planted last spring have started putting out actual fronds this past summer and withstood 24F and close to 2 days below freezing with no apparent damage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, amh said:

Any updates on the ass rating?

Now total ass...but no spear pull as of yet.  Pretty much most of my palms have been downgraded to "looks like total ass" rating after 3 really warm days.  Had spear pull (and some frond pull around the growing points) on some Washingtonia sps., Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaerops humilis (and all suckers; completely defoliated), Phoenix dactylifera (completely defoliated; probably dead), Trithrinax brasiliensis (dead), and all Brahea sps. ("Super Silver" completely defoliated; Brahea armata getting there).  Sabal palmetto and Sabal causarium starting to show burn damage to leaves now.  With the exception of Nannorrhops ritchiana, Sabal minor, and Serenoa repens (of which, they haven't shown any real problems yet...), I may be looking at near a total loss.  What is the conventional wisdom on editing burnt palm fronds?  Leave them on if the have some green and/or stiff petiole, or cut if completely brown and the petiole is soft and drooping?  Never really had to deal with cold damage at on this level and scale before.

• Like 3

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

• 7 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

Now total ass...but no spear pull as of yet.

Well did it pull thru ? 

T J 

• Like 1

T J