IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

old and tall Sabal palmetto

Eric in Orlando

I saw these groupings of Sabal palmetto in McIntosh,FL, just south of Gainesville.

A group of old and tall specimens

100_0439.jpg

and on the same property, a group of good sized S. palmetto all still holding the boots

100_0440.jpg

and these old S. palmetto are growing on the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings homestead at nearby Cross Creek

100_0404.jpg

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I had seen these palms around in a few very old gardens but it took me ages to find out what they were. As soon as I did know, I pestered everyone till I got one. Sabal palmetto and rosei are so pretty and unbelievable tough as well. As Alex said, way underrated

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

They do not worry about it!

Cause they are magnificent palms. :)

(...)

Yes, I know, i do have one of these guys... :D

post-3292-12723884237241_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

The tallest palmettos I have ever seen are 20ft.... they are slow growers.... but they are in my top 5 of genus!

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

Jason, they get a lot taller then that. There are 40- and 50-footers (possibly even taller) at the Myakka River State Park.

There are some 90 footers in Highlands Hammock State Park

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I agree, wild, well grown Sabal palmetto are very attractive and exotic looking.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Anyone want to estimate the age of these sabals?

Nice pics,

:) Jonathan

The tall ones, probably well over 100 yrs old.

Beautiful Sabals! Believe it or not, they're actually my favorite palm.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9 Central Florida

I've never seen such large tall Sabals. Such a tough palm, but so SLOW.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Jason, they get a lot taller then that. There are 40- and 50-footers (possibly even taller) at the Myakka River State Park.

I've only been to Panama City Beach Fl, Galvy TX, LA, and Virginia beach (and kitty hawk nc)

First time I saw a washie was a few weeks ago.....

I've only been to Panama City Beach Fl, Galvy TX, LA, and Virginia beach (and kitty hawk nc)

First time I saw a washie was a few weeks ago.....

Jason, no worries. First time I ever saw a Sabal palmetto I was 21, so you're still 10 years ahead of me.

Boo ya :)

First palm I've EVER seen (grown outdoors) is Cocos Nucifera in Hawaii!

And the latest one I've ever seen was a Trachycarpus Fortunei.

There are many very old (100+ years?) S. palmetto on the undisturbed barrier islands and protected inland areas near here. Several tens of feet tall, 20-30 m or so I would guess for the tallest. These groves have lots of seedlings, but few larger juveniles, surprisingly. A great native tree. I have found that S. "texana" grows faster than palmetto on the sand-clay mixed soils here. One planted as a seedling five years ago now has 2 m leaves and a one m clear trunk - even growing as an understory specimen.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Eric, you might remember the ones at the corner of Conway rd and Pershing? They were removed for road widening unfortunatly :rage: They were easily 50-60 footers all four of them.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

No I don't remember those but not suprising by our jackass govt that they were destroyed instead of saved and moved. Probably replanted Sabal palmetto when the construction was complete.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 6 years later...

...at my mother's house

el1.JPG.9fd62045207065f21bcbbf1c85d12642

el.JPG.5d56eacfd322dddc2e4dc0d31684eacc.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2016, 4:27:43, sur4z said:

...at my mother's house

el1.JPG.9fd62045207065f21bcbbf1c85d12642

el.JPG.5d56eacfd322dddc2e4dc0d31684eacc.

Dang that looks nice. This is what I think if when I hear Florida.

PalmTreeDude