IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca concinna

Ntheastpalms

I have the posting bug since Wal has given us Aussies a tune up :mrlooney:

Sooo here we go, In my fathers garden he has a palm that was purchased as Areca triandra but the infructescence just dosen't strictly fit the description for Areca triandra it looks more like Areca concinna.

Areca triandra infruct is supposed to stay at or fall below the horizontal & Areca concinna is supposed to stay above the horizontal & be more vertical :blink::huh:, if i'm wrong please correct me.

So without any more jibberin her are the photo's

Arecaconcina.jpg

Arecaconcinna003.jpg

Arecaconcinna002-1.jpg

Arecaconcinna004.jpg

Areca experts, what is your opinion??

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Beautiful fruit also, whatever it is. I'm no Areca expert and we have to think that Arecas grown in cultivation may look different according to local conditions, air circulation and exposure. How old are these palms? It looks like they're fast growers...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Matt How cold does it get there? I wish my Arecas looked like that.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Gileno

This palm is 5 years in the ground from an 8 inch pot, in the pot it was about 1 metre tall, so yes they are pretty fast growers.

G'Day Tyrone

It gets to about 3 deg C in the coldest part of winter here which is from mid July to the end of August.

The cold wind is much more of a problem as it really burns the leaves but the palm recovers quickly in spring.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

PalmatierMeg in Florida would know, as she has seed-setting A. concinna in her garden.

CHOICE MAtt , I have a few seedlings from a plant similar to this sp .

I must return to the place I collected seeds from and have another look .

Spare some seeds ? :mrlooney:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hi Gileno

This palm is 5 years in the ground from an 8 inch pot, in the pot it was about 1 metre tall, so yes they are pretty fast growers.

G'Day Tyrone

It gets to about 3 deg C in the coldest part of winter here which is from mid July to the end of August.

The cold wind is much more of a problem as it really burns the leaves but the palm recovers quickly in spring.

So would you be in easy coconut growing territory?

I wish I knew if what you had was concinna. But I don't. It's really nice though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

When I was at the Searle fall sale, they had a couple Areca concinna for sale. Based on what I remember, your palm looks the same as the ones I saw.

-Michael

PalmatierMeg in Florida would know, as she has seed-setting A. concinna in her garden.

It looks a lot like my A. concinna but slightly more robust and with more seeds. They don't carry a lot of fronds and sometimes look a bit "rumpled". My husband thinks it's scruffy but I love it. But it is really cold sensitive.

Even after all our hard work to protect it from our wretched winter I'm really getting concerned that it's on life support. It's the last palm left that I really wanted to survive and I'll be really down if it dies like the others. I have 1/2 dozen seedlings surviving in 4" pots from its one and only seed harvest. Wish I'd kept more seeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, I'm wondering if what I acquired as A. concinna is the real deal. Mine are still small in 1 gal. pots. Are they at

all distinctive at this stage? Are they any different looking than say triandra when young? I'll have to snap a photo.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

G'Day Michael

The seeds are very exclusive & therefore extremeley expensive :lol: but I'll see what I can do :winkie::winkie:

Hi Tyrone

There is a coconut growing on the northern side of a house about a kilometer down the road from dads place which is about 4 or so metres tall & just beginning to form a trunk so I think that both Areca triandra & Areca concinna would be worth a try if you can keep the cold dry winter wind off them.

Thanks for the input Michael

Hi Meg

Thanks, you have made my day with an ID. Allthough its sad to hear your palm may not make it after your really cold winter in the USA :(:(

Hi Tim

The plant looked like any young Areca triandra when it was purchased. There was nothing unique about it at all.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Well I'm growing a Dwarf Malay coconut that is just forming a trunk but it does get winter help. I should try a triandra in the garden. I have quite a few seedlings in the tunnel that are going fine. I also have some A catechu var alba seed waiting to come up, so if I could get those going and a vestiara happy I'd be delighted.

Best regards

Tyrone

That's a ripper Areca.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thats looks identical to my Areca catechu though not as tall as mine. I havent had any success with it producing seed but the inflorences looks identical to it as well.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

My A.catechu has much longer infloresences . The Rat Pack saw it recently , and it has had a few more since the visit late last year, :angry: but no seed set as of yet .

It is the unusual no petiole dwarf hybrid one .

Grown like the clappers over this wet season and now has 2m of trunk and roots busting out all over around the base of the trunk . post-354-12716380329669_thumb.jpg

HAve you got some sort of key for the genus Matt ?

Approx what size are the seeds ?

Catechu seeds are easily 5cms long and 3cms across .

Hi Michael

The seeds are much smaller than Areca catechu, I'd say about 12mm to 15mm long oval in shape with pointed ends & about 8mm to 10mm in diameter.

I will get a photo of the seeds for you in the next couple of days.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Here is a photo of some of the seeds cleaned & ready for sowing.

I was a bit out with my initial measurments :)

post-907-12720002353653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ntheastpalms

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Meg, I'm wondering if what I acquired as A. concinna is the real deal. Mine are still small in 1 gal. pots. Are they at

all distinctive at this stage? Are they any different looking than say triandra when young? I'll have to snap a photo.

Tim

Tim, I'm growing several strap-leaf seedlings from Meg's A. concinna, but I've no experience with A. trianda. Stems and foliage are lime green, and the speckling on the stem is apparent on the leaves too.

post-1155-12720105677694_thumb.jpg

Those look about the right size for A. concinna. The thing I noticed most about the fruit from my palm is that there was almost no fruity "pulp" under the skin. Rather than peel the red skin off with a paring knife I skipped cleaning and just let them dry out.

And I have possible good news! It looks like my A. concinna is starting to open a new leaf (the spear just "unravels" from the tip rather than unfolding). I am growing more hopeful that it made it through our winter with our help. I will take photos over the weekend - and hope I'm not jinxing its recovery. I still don't know if it will set seed this year.

Meg

Florida

Those look about the right size for A. concinna. The thing I noticed most about the fruit from my palm is that there was almost no fruity "pulp" under the skin. Rather than peel the red skin off with a paring knife I skipped cleaning and just let them dry out.

And I have possible good news! It looks like my A. concinna is starting to open a new leaf (the spear just "unravels" from the tip rather than unfolding). I am growing more hopeful that it made it through our winter with our help. I will take photos over the weekend - and hope I'm not jinxing its recovery. I still don't know if it will set seed this year.

Hi Meg, I have one little seedling you gave me and it's fine. It's a fairly slow grower for me and is still smaller than John in Andalucia's photo. I orginally had it under shade cloth but now have it in full shade, it seems to like it better. Lots of water. Good Luck with yours.

All my best to you, Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Woohoo :D:D thats good news Meg I hope your palm keeps recovering.

The fruit on the seeds was sort of well, not juicy but it was really hard to clean off the seeds. They certainly didn't have the abundance of flesh like a Wodyetia seed.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

• 7 months later...

Hi

Just found this thread. My Areca Concinna has ripe fruit on it, with more coming. :drool:

The fruits are 40mm * 24mm and seed 40mm * 20mm approx.

This is a strong growing and pest resistance species, at least in the Far North Queensland.

It is easily distinguished from Areca Triandra, with much smaller fruits 30mm * 12mm and seed

20mm * 9mm approx, on my plants at least.

Hope this helps, if anyone wants a photo, just ask.

Hello Justin, welcome to PalmTalk. Treasure those seeds. My A.c. had an excellent summer and I hope a kinder winter. The nursery where I bought mine in 2008 apparently lost all theirs in 2010. For some reason, I love Arecas but they are SO cold sensitive. I've established a small Areca "grove" around my rumpled concinna: A. catechu dwarf & semi-dwarf, A. trianda, A. vestiaria orange and maroon. All were planted in June so must face winter. I also have A. guppyana, A. ipot, A. vestiaria yellow and numerous A. latiloba in pots.

Meg

Florida

Welcome Justin , great to see you here mate , Thanks heaps for those ab-fab Dypsis .. did you see the post ?

Consensus was it was the correct name .

Matt the seeds you sent me have sprouted and I will pot up soon .

My Areca Alley will be planted out soon .

Hi Meg

I to am a Areca lover, mainly due to there pest resistance and very tropical appearance.

I have Catechu , Catechu(round fruit), Ipot, Guppyana, Vestiaria Red and Maroon, Triandra , Concinna, SP from NG

(strange single trunk, moderate height, with small needle like leaflets), Macrocalyx, Dawf Catechu, and Areca Macrocalyx var. 'Marie'

Justin

HI Michael

Missed the markets today, did you go?

No I havent see the post yet, will look now.

Hi Guys,

Hey Matt, they way to tell if you have A. trianda or A. conncina

is A.conncina has fragan smelling flowers a nice smell.

Cheers Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Hi Meg

I to am a Areca lover, mainly due to there pest resistance and very tropical appearance.

I have Catechu , Catechu(round fruit), Ipot, Guppyana, Vestiaria Red and Maroon, Triandra , Concinna, SP from NG

(strange single trunk, moderate height, with small needle like leaflets), Macrocalyx, Dawf Catechu, and Areca Macrocalyx var. 'Marie'

Justin

Great selection. I'd really love to try regular A. catechu (esp. alba) and A. macrocalyx but they get too tall for me to protect from the inevitable freeze. My A. concinna hasn't produced seeds since I bought it and I have a feeling my colder-than-Miami winters keep that from happening in Cape Coral.

BTW, I'd love to see photos of your palms.

Meg

Florida

Hi Justin & Mikey

Thanks for the info & from memory the flowers did have a pleasant smell Mikey.

Michael, that is great news & I have heaps that I will have to pot up shortly myself.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

So Mikey [ or anyone ] what other differences between concinna and triandra ?

What Peter called triandra at Whyanbeel must have been comcinna cause it smelt fantastic :lol: sort of lemony sweet mmmm mmmm

It was a very fast grower with massive tall stems

nearly like bamboo ....

and PACSOA mention "Rarely seen in cultivation (most plants sold as A. concinna are actually A. triandra ) "

OR does concinna smell different to triandra and thats the only way to tell them apart ?

post-354-063373200 1290996292_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiearoids

Hi Meg

Justin

Justin, photos please... I like areca too. At the moment, I only have A. ipot (although I have a funny suspicion it isn't ipot), A. catechu, A. triandra, A. vestiara, A. camarinensis and I have been looking for A. macrocalyx and if possible A. catechu dwarf.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi all

I'm just going off wot Arden told me years ago Michael,

next time ya see him ask him he'll know other differences dude.

Hey Ari, I think i have a spare A. macrocalyx when are

you guys coming down next I'll keep it aside, have you

got A. subicaulis :drool: a truely stunner of a palm :D small

I've got all but two ya want.

Cheers Guys, Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

I have no flowers to smell at the moment, but the fruit size speaks for it's self.

And as you can see from the photos both have upward facing infructescences ssssss lucky I don't lisp

post-5153-092689800 1291068354_thumb.jpg

post-5153-098446400 1291068688_thumb.jpg

They all look great Justin,nice tall A.ipot. :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's