IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis canaliculata

Ntheastpalms

This is mine....

Sorry about the photos. I have to go out there again later and take a proper photo if you think it is worth taking more photos. The LCD backlight on my camera died while we were walking around and it was too wet to take the other camera. And it was very hard to take photos when the display is dead and no viewfinder...

post-512-077459900 1284850543_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari I'd love to see a few more pix if you could! Can you show the base of the petiole to see if there is any color or tomentum?

Looks pretty good from what I see....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's one I planted today. I bought it as a 'Maria's Stumpy' a few years ago, but have my doubts...after being neglected in a pot it has finally found a home! If I go by Bill's comments this isn't D.canaliculata as the spear is green.

post-42-046103800 1284877771_thumb.jpg

post-42-097184200 1284877798_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Apparently, this one shows it better... (Scott told me to post this as well)

post-512-001904000 1284887533_thumb.jpg

and Scott thinks Daryl & I have the same palm, whatever they are...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Cool! Thanks to the both of you for the pics!

Ari, looking closer, I'm sure yours is the same batch of Canaliculata.

Daryl, I see the little tomentum specs that most of the others don't have, plus it is pretty colorful/ red at the base. I think if it came from a humid greenhouse or shadehouse it may be that green. I forgot that each leaf/petiole has shown more color as its out on its own. So I'll go out on the limb with Scott and say probably. If it doesn't get more color in the next year, probably not. :blink:

Both look really good!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mine is bigger than Daryl... It has been in the ground for at least 2 years. It is now 2m tall (sorry, I was to shy to pose in front of it).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yeah, it looked a little leggy from all the shade its getting. But growing well I can see!

It is not as shady as it looks... It gets FULL morning sun.

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of updated pics for BS Man

Lots of colour on the new spear.

post-907-071124000 1288935385_thumb.jpg

post-907-006258400 1288935645_thumb.jpg

post-907-082454900 1288935899_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

& just a few more

It is really hard to get a full size shot of the palm so the photos are a bit dark. Just a couple of minutes after the photos were taken it was pouring rain.

post-907-047909000 1288936939_thumb.jpg

post-907-011916400 1288937252_thumb.jpg

post-907-041637700 1288937571_thumb.jpg

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Hi Matt,

It looks like yours & mine are about the same size. How tall is that fence? Let's compare in the next few years...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari

The fence is 1.8m high. For a large Dypsis this palnt is a rocket.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

They are definitely about the same size... let's compare in 2 years...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Looking spectacular Matt!! Glad to see the shade is off, how long now?

Hi Bill

The shade has been off since the begining of September & the palm gets sun until midday than again from mid afternoom no sign of sunburn at all.

If only all "Big" Dypsis were this easy for me to grow.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Sorry to hear you are anti-Dypsis lately Peachy... Hey, POM listed 140 species of Dypsis....there's bound to be confusion and new ones added. :D

But a big one like this Big Curley/prestoniana? at Mardys today shows the wait is worth it. The Lenster in the pic.

post-27-1273127819721_thumb.jpg

This pic makes len look about 12 years old. It's either the huge Dypsis palm he's standing next to, or those 3/4 high socks. Probably the socks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Now that these guys have shown quite a bit of growth they might be easier to identify. The first pic I posted a year ago to the month and the only guess at the time was 'prestoniana complex'. Interesting horizontal growth habit and in full sun all day.

One is growing a bit faster than the other and is showing a rust color at the base of the petiole. It's really gotten beefy after a year in the ground. That's a one gallon pot for scale.

One year ago

post-1300-062896400 1288997925_thumb.jpg

today

post-1300-084262600 1288997942_thumb.jpg

post-1300-027101100 1288997959_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Sorry to hear you are anti-Dypsis lately Peachy... Hey, POM listed 140 species of Dypsis....there's bound to be confusion and new ones added. :D

But a big one like this Big Curley/prestoniana? at Mardys today shows the wait is worth it. The Lenster in the pic.

post-27-1273127819721_thumb.jpg

This pic makes len look about 12 years old. It's either the huge Dypsis palm he's standing next to, or those 3/4 high socks. Probably the socks.

:floor:

Tim- Is yours showing any red/tomentum on the emerging spear?

Looks great by the way....

BIG DYPSIS RULE! :P

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. There isn't any tomentum on the spear at all, just 'clean green' from where it emerges. Once the spear has developed there is red tomentum at the base of the petiole. Here's a pic.

post-1300-070787600 1289068296_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Interesting Tim, not showing a characteristic that shows up in Australia and here....

Mine sat and did nothing for six months after being in the ground for a year. In june it sent up two spear leaves remote from each other. It seemed odd since I never saw that before. Now it is doing it again. Just curious, does this species ever develope into a double trunk. I am wondering if that is happening to mine?

Guess I will just sit back and see what happens. :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Mine sat and did nothing for six months after being in the ground for a year. In june it sent up two spear leaves remote from each other. It seemed odd since I never saw that before. Now it is doing it again. Just curious, does this species ever develope into a double trunk. I am wondering if that is happening to mine?

How about some photos? love to see close up, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

How about some photos? love to see close up, Ed

Ed - it is heavliy surrounded by crotons. The leaflets are so thick on the palm that I have to "feel around" for the spear leaves. As the grow out I can get a picture. To get a picture of the base will be difficult.

Moose- I know the growing point/crown spreads a lot on these once given some room and sun. Be careful of water in the crown and or rot.

Moose- I know the growing point/crown spreads a lot on these once given some room and sun. Be careful of water in the crown and or rot.

Bill - agreed on the spread. It just threw two spears almost simultaneously for the second time. We will monitor its development. It is located in very sandy well drained soil. Our rainy season is in the summer. Our dry season is during our cooler winters. Crown rot is not usually a problem for me. Since I look at almost every plant in my garden at least once a week, corrective measures are usually quickly taken when something goes amiss. :innocent:

You, Jeff and Ryan have taught me that crown rot should be monitored on most dypsis until a trunk developes. :interesting:

• 1 year later...

My turn to ask the Moose for an update on the "twin spear" process...

post-1729-048027200 1333216027_thumb.jpgpost-1729-005922100 1333217276_thumb.jpgpost-1729-052415800 1333218498_thumb.jpg

Well, aaaigh, urrrr, aaaaargh ... Pfffffft :lol:

Bill - Get your booty back to South Florida and I'll let you touch it. :huh:

:huh::blink:

:huh::blink:

post-1729-093538700 1333279143_thumb.jpg

Bill - it is difficult to take photos showing the twin spears. I believe the crown (meristem) has split. I tried something I've never done before. Tried to outline the base of the two spears. They really look remote from each other. I'll try and get my son to help with better pictures. These are a month old and the spears are much longer now.

OK Ron.. I used the tiny drawing pic to get the idea, and then looked on your previous big one.

I have never heard of these as being multiples... Soooo I suspect one of two things. Either a late germinating seed stuck near the first one ..ooorrr a Double germination off of one seed. Rarely do those make it to full size.

But I do not suspect a problem if they are both growing... I suspect "twins"

Pretty Cool. :)

Or it could be that it really did divide or even sucker. I believe Marcus has a multiple Carlsmithii. Darian has a multiple Decaryii and Leptchelois. You don't find many multiples of Decepiens in wild but they are more common than singles in cultivation.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hi Ron, you are a lucy man, I dare anyone on the face of the earth, to show me another big tillering Dypsis, with two growing points below ground elevation, but am I wrong? does anyone else have one, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

OK Ron.. I used the tiny drawing pic to get the idea, and then looked on your previous big one.

I have never heard of these as being multiples... Soooo I suspect one of two things. Either a late germinating seed stuck near the first one ..ooorrr a Double germination off of one seed. Rarely do those make it to full size.

Bill - I pretty much gotta rule out a "late germinating seed" hypothesis. Double germination (double embryo) kinda of unlikely put can not be ruled out. Jeff Searle is the "Daddy". I suspect that if he saw a "double germination" he would have held the palm for his garden. Got it as a 3 gallon, stepped it to a 7 and grew it for several years. Because it is a tillering Dypsis, I wanted to make sure it was really established. Actually I contacted Ryan (Palmarum) to get his opinion. There was never any evidence that this palm was not a single growth point (meristem) palm prior to planting I still have my Tahina spectabilis in a container because I am too paranoid of it declining after planting.

I am leaning towards Len's suggestion that it has split or suckered. I felt kinda confident before that it started to split soon after planting. However, it was suggested that it may have just been doing a double spear from the same meristem. Was not curious enough to dig it up to find out. The base was very crowded and I was not completely sure. I figured that time would tell. It was only recently that evidence that the emerging spears were seperated enough that it could be surmised that they were coming from seperate growth points.

Ed - thank you, I have been called many, many different things in my life. A "Lucy" man is a first though. LOL :lol:

Interesting that neither growth point is dominating the other. One lags slightly behind the other in pushing the new spear but thats it. Both develope at the same time year after year, each has the same number of leaves.

Bill - I gotta pretty much gotta rule out a "late germinating seed" hypothesis. Double germination (double embryo) kinda of unlikely put can not be ruled out. Jeff Searle is the "Daddy". I suspect that if he saw a "double germination" he would have held the palm for his garden. Got it as a 3 gallon, stepped it to a 7 and grew it for several years. Because it is a tillering Dypsis, I wanted to make sure it was really established. Actually I contacted Ryan (Palmarum) to get his opinion. There was never any evidence that this palm was not a single growth point (meristem) palm prior to planting I still have my Tahina spectabilis in a container because I am too paranoid of it declining after planting.

I am leaning towards Len's suggestion that it has split or suckered. I felt kinda confident before that it started to split soon after planting. However, it was suggested that it may have just been doing a double spear from the same meristem. Was not curious enough to dig it up to find out. The base was very crowded and I was not completely sure. I figured that time would tell. It was only recently that evidence that the emerging spears were seperated enough that it could be surmised that they were coming from seperate growth points.

Ed - thank you, I have been called many, many different things in my life. A "Lucy" man is a first though. LOL :lol:

Interesting that neither growth point is dominating the other. One lags slightly behind the other in pushing the new spear but thats it. Both develope at the same time year after year, each has the same number of leaves.

Omg, I miss spelled lucky, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ron, If you can get some good pictures and explanation, I think your palm deserves its own thread..

I do have to say I am quite bummed that I missed on getting some multiheaded D. lepto's that were at Palm Mountain when I first got into this and did not appreciate their rarity.. :(

I think most all died from neglect there. I thought they were ugly... neglect did not help.

(Yes, I know what you are all thinking... keep your snide comments to yourself. :P )

Its OK Ed, I knew what you meant and are right on point with your observation, but I think of Ron as a "Lucy man" anyway... hahaha :lol:

Its OK Ed, I knew what you meant and are right on point with your observation, but I think of Ron as a "Lucy man" anyway... hahaha :drool: Stop teasing Bill!

Ed - I knew it was a typo, actually the Emerson, Lake and Palmer tune was going threw my head after seeing your post. :lol: Ed did ask an interesting question, has anyone else experienced a spliting of their Dypsis canaliculata?

post-1729-099790400 1333305172_thumb.jpg

Bill - my introduction to this device may have morphed me into a "Lucy man" :huh:

post-1729-041989300 1333305914_thumb.jpg

You guys and Lenny's comments made me go take a gander at the palm today. I pulled away the mulch from around the base of the palm to get a better view the bottom of the spears. Found that the mulch had been rendered into compost. Good thing I checked since it rained heavily yesterday afternoon. Compost was still damp. Got it mostly pulled away now. The base of the spears are seperated by three inches.

post-1729-045758200 1333306567_thumb.jpg

Next are the two spears in the upper canopy. The tip of one spear can be seen at my fore arm. My fingers are wrapped behind the other spear. This spear extends up another 18 inches. Could not pry my son away from facebook to assist with the photos. Leaflets are all over, the best I could do (sorry about the fuzzy focus) giving my physical "Lucy" limitations. :innocent:

Bill - seriously, you need to stop by the next time you make it back out this way. I definitely can come nowhere near Mike Harris' place but there are some humble palmy offerings here in the Moose Land. Ed you are more than welcome if you make it down this way as well.

Best regards to all,

Ron

Its OK Ed, I knew what you meant and are right on point with your observation, but I think of Ron as a "Lucy man" anyway... hahaha :drool: Stop teasing Bill!

Ed - I knew it was a typo, actually the Emerson, Lake and Palmer tune was going threw my head after seeing your post. :lol: Ed did ask an interesting question, has anyone else experienced a spliting of their Dypsis canaliculata?

post-1729-099790400 1333305172_thumb.jpg

Bill - my introduction to this device may have morphed me into a "Lucy man" :huh:

post-1729-041989300 1333305914_thumb.jpg

You guys and Lenny's comments made me go take a gander at the palm today. I pulled away the mulch from around the base of the palm to get a better view the bottom of the spears. Found that the mulch had been rendered into compost. Good thing I checked since it rained heavily yesterday afternoon. Compost was still damp. Got it mostly pulled away now. The base of the spears are seperated by three inches.

post-1729-045758200 1333306567_thumb.jpg

Next are the two spears in the upper canopy. The tip of one spear can be seen at my fore arm. My fingers are wrapped behind the other spear. This spear extends up another 18 inches. Could not pry my son away from facebook to assist with the photos. Leaflets are all over, the best I could do (sorry about the fuzzy focus) giving my physical "Lucy" limitations. :innocent:

Bill - seriously, you need to stop by the next time you make it back out this way. I definitely can come nowhere near Mike Harris' place but there are some humble palmy offerings here in the Moose Land. Ed you are more than welcome if you make it down this way as well.

Best regards to all,

Ron

Gee Ron thanks, but the new meds they got me on for the Parkinson's, I'm already developing a tolerance to, so this summer I'm going for Deep Brain Stimulation, so I'm not driving more than 20 miles or so at a time, but if you want to ever come here, you'll leave with a bunch of cool palms and Neo's, (boy the jokes that are going to be made over the first paragraph), Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif