IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis canaliculata

Ntheastpalms

Perhaps this "magic marker" visual aid may helpful? :huh:

post-1729-015529500 1333307733_thumb.jpg

post-1729-001373500 1333308006_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Dypsis nuts

I have a palm that was purchased under the name of Dypsis canaliculata & I have been wondering if this palm is a form of Dypsis pretoniana as has been whispered by a couple of fellow palm growers?.

I have a Dypsis pretoniana planted as well & I must say that the palms look nothing alike & the D canaliculata is much faster growing, the palm pictured was planted 20 months ago out of an 8 inch pot & it is now higher than the 1.8 metre fence behind it. Where as the D prestoniana is only about 1 metre tall in about the same growing time in the ground.

Leaf colour & arrangement is also quite different.

Here is a couple of photos of both plants, let me know what you think

Dypsis canaliculata

dypsiscanaliculata005.jpg

dypsiscanaliculata004.jpg

dypsiscanaliculata008.jpg

So what's the consensus, is it D. tokoravina, or not, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hello fellow Dypsis nuts

I have a palm that was purchased under the name of Dypsis canaliculata & I have been wondering if this palm is a form of Dypsis pretoniana as has been whispered by a couple of fellow palm growers?.

I have a Dypsis pretoniana planted as well & I must say that the palms look nothing alike & the D canaliculata is much faster growing, the palm pictured was planted 20 months ago out of an 8 inch pot & it is now higher than the 1.8 metre fence behind it. Where as the D prestoniana is only about 1 metre tall in about the same growing time in the ground.

Leaf colour & arrangement is also quite different.

Here is a couple of photos of both plants, let me know what you think

Dypsis canaliculata

dypsiscanaliculata005.jpg

dypsiscanaliculata004.jpg

dypsiscanaliculata008.jpg

So what's the consensus, is it D. tokoravina, or not, thanks, Ed

Ed, heres 2 Pics of a same age Tokoravina which shows some very obvious differences.Note the "very long petioles" and the grey green spear opposed to a red. I have both are they are similar but very different. Pete

post-5709-053384500 1337033577_thumb.jpg

post-5709-083012200 1337033597_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, I thought they were different, but wasn't sure, may I use your photos in Palmpedia, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Thanks Pete, I thought they were different, but wasn't sure, may I use your photos in Palmpedia, thanks, Ed

Sure Ed, you have my permission to use any of my pics. Pete :)

Sure Ed, you have my permission to use any of my pics. Pete :)

Thanks Pete, BTW your jungle is beyond my wildest dreams, and none of that would be possible here, for it's often 4 degrees C. for four or five hours a night, four nights in a row, everything would surely freeze to death, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 1 year later...

Perhaps this "magic marker" visual aid may helpful? huh.gif

It's more bigger now

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B