IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Elaeis guineensis

bubba

I purchased this Palm from Jeff Searle(I think)about 4 years ago. It resides at the back of my yard and has proven to be a stalwart. It's growth has been dynamic but less in heighth and more in girth.This is a shot from this weekend:

P1020555.jpg

This is a shot upward towards it's fine leaves:

P1020556.jpg

This Palm suffered no damage whatsoever during our cold. There is a mature and rather large specimen nearby that I will try to picture. My favorite was a large stunner that was toppled by Wilma.I have heard some Forum members reporting problems. Does anyone else have this Palm? Does it grow in California? How about Sydney, Melbourne, Spain, Greece as well as the usual suspects?

What you look for is what is looking

Here are few stills of Oil Palm Growing in Lal Bagh,Banglore(South India).

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

A close-up of the trunk :mrlooney:

IMG_2126.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Bubba, there is a huge old one in the downtown Ft. Myers park that dates from 1955. I had photos but lost them all in a computer crash last year. I dug up seedlings from beneath that palm but most bit the bullet this winter (they were only 3-4 strap leaves in pots). So far, just a few of the seeds I collected have germinated and I have kept them indoors. I hope to have them planting size by next spring.

Kris, those photos are fantastic.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I've got three at my place. Two large about 14 or 15 metres tall (to the left in the photo) and a smaller one about 3 metres (to the right in the photo). Keep getting seedlings coming up but I pull them out.

post-4226-12712592229315_thumb.jpg

A photo of some near Kokoda in Papua New Guinea, they have huge plantations of them over there.

post-4226-12712593649124_thumb.jpg

I've got three at my place. Two large about 14 or 15 metres tall (to the left in the photo) and a smaller one about 3 metres (to the right in the photo). Keep getting seedlings coming up but I pull them out.

post-4226-12712592229315_thumb.jpg

A photo of some near Kokoda in Papua New Guinea, they have huge plantations of them over there.

post-4226-12712593649124_thumb.jpg

[/qu

Dont pull out seedlings of those lovely looking palms. Dig them out and send them to poor old ladies in Brisbane who cant afford to buy them from nurseries. :D

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Glad you mentioned that Peachy. I had a look and there's still 6 at the 2 to 3 leaf stage. They're yours if you want them. There's another I've been cutting back for a while (too big to pull out) hoping it would die but it's re-shooting again. Going to have to dig it out. I decided a few years back that 3 was more than enough for me and I'd given away to everyone I could coerce into taking them. The only place left that will take them is the compost heap. biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

I have one and its certainly a fast grower, winter doesnt even slow it down. If my memory is correct its going through its fourth winter. This palm would grow in Sydney no problem but it's a large palm. I will post a picture of it when I get the chance.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Does anyone in other parts of Australia have experience with this palm?

Port Douglas has avenue plantings of them...

cheers

post-249-015938200 1309672521_thumb.jpg

post-249-001663900 1309672588_thumb.jpg

Very worrying to see PNG is planting thousands and thousands of acres of this palm, not on already cleared land but Beautiful Equatorial Rainforest so they make some $$ on the Timber while they wait for a return on oil palm plantations.The clearing is still nonstop in Beautiful Borneo for oil palm plantations. Not Good. So much cleared and degraded lands, grow the plantations there. Greed, Greed, Greed.

Edited by Pedro 65

I have one and its certainly a fast grower, winter doesnt even slow it down. If my memory is correct its going through its fourth winter. This palm would grow in Sydney no problem but it's a large palm. I will post a picture of it when I get the chance.

Cheers

Mike

Good to know that, Mike.I remember seeing them all over Port Douglas. Are they fast growers for you, Mike?

I had planted two small oil palms beside my royals a year back. They have been picking up speed all year and braving the merciless frond falls from the royals. Yesterday when I checked, I found that the base is expanding and the spears have accelerated a great deal during the rains.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Bubba,there are large plantations of these here in Guatemala.More and more are being planted. I have one at the beach and was surprised by its ability to withstand salt and wind.They do love water and the more you give them the better they look.I enjoy planting bromeliads in the old leaf bases / they stay attached for years.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On a trip to Costa Rica, we took a puddle jumper from San Jose to Manuel Antonio to see Jeff. Before landing we flew along the coast over vast plantations of oil palms.......I was shocked at the amount of land under cultivation.

From what I understand, these huge parcels used to be banana plantations. The amount of fertilizer used must be staggering let alone where and what happens to the runoff.

post-1300-013701700 1309823603_thumb.jpg

The view heading for the coast.

post-1300-065797900 1309823680_thumb.jpg

The plantation just before landing.

post-1300-005792800 1309823730_thumb.jpg

View from a little restaurant right in the middle of the plantation.

post-1300-077947700 1309823826_thumb.jpg

View of the tasty food and an ice cold beer.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Cheers

Mike

Here is a picture of mine.

post-250-055645000 1309846416_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Cheers

Mike

Here is a picture of mine.

That looks really nice, Mike. Did you get it from a nursery or grow it from seed? I'm wondering where I could get my hands on one...