IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rio slideshow

Gileno Machado

Just saw a few pictures of Rio in this weblink and decided to share the link: Rio photos UOL

It seems the sun is shining there again, but the "marvelous city" was badly hurt last week...some attractions are still closed down for access problems and repair. Hopefully things are improving there and we'll have a great Biennial.

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

I'm sure and certain you'll have a great time Gileno mixing with everyone, have a drink for the aussie ratpack one night, ah, you better make that more than one drink. And I'll be thinking of you all and singing that great australian ballad...

When my baby

When my baby smiles at me I go to Rio

De Janeiro, my-oh-me-oh

I go wild and then I have to do the Samba

And La Bamba

Now I'm not the kind of person

With a passionate persuasion for dancin'

Or roma-ancin'

But I give in to the rhythm

And my feet follow the beatin' of my hear-eart

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It's going to be a fantastic experience no matter what! Just boarded the first leg of my flight, filled with anticipation. See you soon, Gileno. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am lamenting that I cant go-- family vacationalready planned. I visited Rio 3x in the past --- even if the weathr is lousy-- its better than any weeks you would spend in the states or most other places.

Rio is the prettiest place I have ever been-- City has very classical architecture large boulevards --- I went to the beach at Ipanema and it looked like a place of movie stars (except me). I saw large Allagoptera caudescens on some of the streets and Encephartos gratus-- Parque Flameco has a dozen species of Syagrus and huge Corypha. The ride up to the Tijuca forest is breath taking we hiked all through the forest there . By all means sample some of the beers --- they have many brands rivaling even the good suds the Germans brew!

Please post alot of photos as I need some respite from this deep spring fever funk I am in !

Best regards,

Ed

Kathryn my old facebook pal, more details on the "wonderful" please.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathryn:

What are the palms with the white under the leaves in the picture on the right-hand side?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Kathryn:

What are the palms with the white under the leaves in the picture on the right-hand side?

I think Allagoptera (Poliandrococos) caudescens .

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thanks Alberto; I didn't have a clue. I could have sat under those palms for hours. The camera doesn't do them justice.

Hi Kathryn! I´m enjoying your photos!!

Now looking again and closer,the crown looks a lot like an Astrocaryum sp,that is a very spiny palm and the leaflets also has white undersides....

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thanks Alberto; I didn't have a clue. I could have sat under those palms for hours. The camera doesn't do them justice.

Now looking again and closer,the crown looks a lot like an Astrocaryum sp,that is a very spiny palm and the leaflets also has white undersides....

Alberto,

They look a lot like the Astrocaryum murumuru we have in the forest around here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Gileno,

It was great to meet you and Barbara, hope ya'll had as good of a time as we did. I will try to post some photos soon.

Paul & Judy

Alberto,

They look a lot like the Astrocaryum murumuru we have in the forest around here.

dk

Yes, I remember A.murumuru in the RBG!

Here are a few shots from the Rio Botanical Garden.

post-158-12723344722995_thumb.jpg post-158-12723345247696_thumb.jpg

thanks for posting the palm photos Kathryn - now, when will we see that photo you took of Craig posing with those two Brazilian Idol contestants who were dressed in matching pink outfits?

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Here are a few shots from the Rio Botanical Garden.

post-158-12723344722995_thumb.jpg post-158-12723345247696_thumb.jpg

thanks for posting the palm photos Kathryn - now, when will we see that photo you took of Craig posing with those two Brazilian Idol contestants who were dressed in matching pink outfits?

You can see Craig and his pink friends in this topic: Rio Biennial