IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus ruschiana

Jonathan

Hi all,

I was given some S. ruschiana seeds from Donald Sanders in Hawaii (thanks Don!), of which three have now germinated.

I was surprised to notice that the seeds were remote germinators - I couldn't remember any of the other Syagrus I've grown (romanzoffiana, flexuosa, abreojos) being remote - but then its been a while since I germinated them.

Is this common in Syagrus species? I know that other Cocoid palms like Parajubaea are remote germinators.

Is anyone else growing this species - any ideas about cold tolerance, etc?

The photo's I've seen on the net suggest it comes from dry, rocky areas, so it should like full sun I guess.

Like S. flexuosa, there just dosn't seem to be much info around about it.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Jonathan, I too have sowed syagrus ruschiana , the seeds have been given me by Donald Sanders in Hawaii ( again thanks don).

say frost resistant lightweight, hopefully good

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Jonathan, I too have sowed syagrus ruschiana , the seeds have been given me by Donald Sanders in Hawaii ( again thanks don).

I'm glad you got some Gyuseppe - we can compare notes later - we seem to have similar taste in palms!

Hopefully someone can give us a bit more information about this species.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I'm glad you got some Gyuseppe - we can compare notes later - we seem to have similar taste in palms!

Hopefully someone can give us a bit more information about this species.

Cheers,

Jonathan

I have 3 seedlings a few years old that are still in the "strap" leaf stage. Plan to put them in the ground in the fall.

Also have more seeds waiting to sprout. I hope :-)

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I too got S. ruschiana seeds from Don - thanks again, Don. Four germinated in just a few weeks. I potted them about 6-8 weeks ago and they are sending up their first green spike. I don't know much about them, except what I've read in the Encyclopedia of Cultured Palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I have one, too. Bought it as a seedling from a seller in Australia, no real progress is recorded. Hope dies at last, especially after such a winter ... pics will follow tomorrow.

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

I have 2 in the ground and 3 more still in pots. All are developing suckers. I have not placed any in full sun yet, and they done well in part shade. I feel they can take full sun in az but will do this slowly.

As for cold, mine have taken upper 20's F with overhead protection. and light frost in the lower 30's F without much problems.

They do like water untill they are well rooted in the ground. I will post pix of them when I take some.

Edited by chris78

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Jonathan, I have several planted in the ground but are still not that large (see pics below). They are multiple trunked palms that when once established do well for me with very little supplemental watering. Other than in photos I've never seen a full grown mature S. ruschiana. Hopefully I will when I go to Brazil for the IPS Biennial this month.

post-90-12706347952111_thumb.jpg

post-90-12706348319441_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

You're a lucky man Al - firstly for having such nice looking ruschiana's and secondly for going to Brazil!

Love the look of this species - far more delicate leaves than most Syagrus.

Chris - it sounds like they might do ok down here if they can handle a light frost every now and then - although I've got plenty of frost free areas where I could put them, so hopefully they wont have to endure that. Upper 20's is about -1 to -3C, it never gets below 0C here, so should be fine.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan, my S. amara were remote germinators. Fairly quick to sprout, very slow for awhile, but now starting to

grow faster.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii