IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus sp. "Arcoverde"

palmtreesforpleasure

Hi All

need a copy of the story that came with the seed, and any other information you may have, has it been named yet etc

thanks in advance

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi All

need a copy of the story that came with the seed, and any other information you may have, has it been named yet etc

thanks in advance

regards

Colin

Hi Col,

I've named it myself, so I guess I should clarify this...

In late 2004 and during the years of 05 and 06, one of my friends who is a Biologist (primatologist, in fact but also interested in plants) was researching the occurence of a small native primate (Jacchus) and collecting field data for his Master degree project at several small valleys and remote gullies located between the towns of Arcoverde and Sertânia, located in a semi-arid region of my state (Pernambuco), ~400 km west from my town. He was surprised to spot a small Syagrus population thriving at a small rocky area at an elevation ~700 m and he mentioned that these palms were not found anywhere else in the fields around that location. I got very interested and asked him to take pictures and bring me some seeds and I was lucky to receive a whole lot of them next time he visited the place (two or three of the local palms were profusely fruiting at the time), which I decided to share with a few palmtalk friends from all over, in order to help the conservation of the species for the future. For the pictures I've seen at the time (I guess I've posted these photos here in Palmtalk but it was before the two changes we've had in this board) this species (undoubtly a Syagrus) is actually a midsize to small palm in its rocky and rather dry habitat and resembles a small S. coronata variety, some of them even bringing the spiral helicoid leaf base scars in the trunk but the crown of leaves looking much smaller and very different from coronatas and not similar to Syagrus cearensis either, both species are only found at a great distance of this remote population, not exceeding 25 plants according to his observations in situ.

I've given many of these sprouted seeds to Harri Lorenzi in São Paulo too, the author of the best brazilian book on the subject (Palmeiras Brasileiras e exóticas cultivadas) and I believe he was planning on doing some research with these palms in the future. My friend has finished his research in the area and I've never made it to visit the spot myself anyway...

My seedlings here are doing fine, not fast growers but they look nice...I believe your seedlings were probably given by Jay from Perth, with whom I used to have a great seed partnership at the time, in Australia, and he might have shared them with you...

I've heard these seedlings are doing fine in Thailand, Florida, Spain and SE Brazil, maybe also in California, Hawaii, Italy, Samoa and South Africa (?). I guess some of the seeds I've sent ended up with Robert Riffle but he gave them to someone else in order to germinate for him and then offer to Montgomery and Fairchild.

I'd love to see pictures of these palms in cultivation. I'll have to look where I put the original paper pictures of these palms in habitat and use a scanner to post them here again. Just have to find it, among my zillion palm related articles, photos and memorabilia kept somewhere...

Cheers.

• Upvote 3

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hi Gileno

thank you for the information

Have 2 seedlings, seeds must have come via Jason, They have been slow growing to date. One will be going to Royal botanical gardens in Sydney and wanted some data on it for their records. As they are so rare, it will be good it will be somewhere for future generations to enjoy

thanks again

regards

colin

Hi All

thanks in advance

regards

Colin

Hi Col,

I've named it myself, so I guess I should clarify this...

In late 2004 and during the years of 05 and 06, one of my friends who is a Biologist (primatologist, in fact but also interested in plants) was researching the occurence of a small native primate (Jacchus) and collecting field data for his Master degree project at several small valleys and remote gullies located between the towns of Arcoverde and Sertânia, located in a semi-arid region of my state (Pernambuco), ~400 km west from my town. He was surprised to spot a small Syagrus population thriving at a small rocky area at an elevation ~700 m and he mentioned that these palms were not found anywhere else in the fields around that location. I got very interested and asked him to take pictures and bring me some seeds and I was lucky to receive a whole lot of them next time he visited the place (two or three of the local palms were profusely fruiting at the time), which I decided to share with a few palmtalk friends from all over, in order to help the conservation of the species for the future. For the pictures I've seen at the time (I guess I've posted these photos here in Palmtalk but it was before the two changes we've had in this board) this species (undoubtly a Syagrus) is actually a midsize to small palm in its rocky and rather dry habitat and resembles a small S. coronata variety, some of them even bringing the spiral helicoid leaf base scars in the trunk but the crown of leaves looking much smaller and very different from coronatas and not similar to Syagrus cearensis either, both species are only found at a great distance of this remote population, not exceeding 25 plants according to his observations in situ.

I've given many of these sprouted seeds to Harri Lorenzi in São Paulo too, the author of the best brazilian book on the subject (Palmeiras Brasileiras e exóticas cultivadas) and I believe he was planning on doing some research with these palms in the future. My friend has finished his research in the area and I've never made it to visit the spot myself anyway...

My seedlings here are doing fine, not fast growers but they look nice...I believe your seedlings were probably given by Jay from Perth, with whom I used to have a great seed partnership at the time, in Australia, and he might have shared them with you...

I've heard these seedlings are doing fine in Thailand, Florida, Spain and SE Brazil, maybe also in California, Hawaii, Italy, Samoa and South Africa (?). I guess some of the seeds I've sent ended up with Robert Riffle but he gave them to someone else in order to germinate for him and then offer to Montgomery and Fairchild.

I'd love to see pictures of these palms in cultivation. I'll have to look where I put the original paper pictures of these palms in habitat and use a scanner to post them here again. Just have to find it, among my zillion palm related articles, photos and memorabilia kept somewhere...

Cheers.

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 4 years later...

I was cleaning out part of the nursery and bumped up the Syagrus sp. arcoverde to a 25 gal container and placed around the pool area. Have not heard about this for awhile or seen any pics in cultivation. Here are some recent photos. This looks like a ornamental syagrus with very stiff leaflets and some what silvery undersides. The leaves are a lot narrower than S. coronata and much stiffer. Gileno, thanks for spreading the seed. Any one else post some pics of theirs??

post-112-0-38153600-1400359393_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-06802800-1400359399_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-04065300-1400359405_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-23155900-1400359411_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-79343800-1400359416_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-36472000-1400359422_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-87456600-1400359427_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...

I bought this Syagrus "Arcoverde" at a plant sale at Leu Gardens 5 or 6 years ago from an unknown member of CFPACS.  It's not been a fast grower here in Orlando, but appears happy and healthy.  It seems to have gotten over its initial sensitivity to frost.  It was nearly unscathed in the freeze we had back in January.  Meanwhile my Attalea was about 80% defoliated and I lost a Coccothrinax sp. and a small Roystonea borinquena. The bulbous leaf bases and the stiff leaves and leaflets seem very Butia-like, but the leaflets being on two planes is, I think, a definitive Syagrus characteristic.

Arcoverde (1).jpg

Arcoverde (2).jpg

Arcoverde (3).jpg

Arcoverde (4).jpg

Arcoverde (5).jpg

• Upvote 7

Yeah, that's an unusual looking one. Definitely has that in between Syagus-Butia look.  Great looking palm!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

What a nice looking syagrus. Any way to get seed any time soon? Or are any US-grown plants mature enough to flower and seed? 

I finally got mine in the ground a few months ago. Leaflettes could be mistaken for a Phoenix Palm, because they are so stiff.   Here are some recent pics.  Thanks to  @cfkingfishfor the gift many years ago and @Gileno Machado for sending him some seed.  Great addition to the Garden!  Many people wanted to buy this over the years, glad I did not sell.

DSCN4850.JPG

DSCN4851.JPG

DSCN4852.JPG

DSCN4853.JPG

• Upvote 5

Nice palms guys but this looks a lot to me like the natural cross between syagrus glaucescens and syagrus romanzoffiana. Pretty common in places where this species overlapping. 

2 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

I finally got mine in the ground a few months ago. Leaflettes could be mistaken for a Phoenix Palm, because they are so stiff.   Here are some recent pics.  Thanks to  @cfkingfishfor the gift many years ago and @Gileno Machado for sending him some seed.  Great addition to the Garden!  Many people wanted to buy this over the years, glad I did not sell.

DSCN4850.JPG

DSCN4851.JPG

DSCN4852.JPG

DSCN4853.JPG

That is a great looking syagrus. I wouldn’t have sold it either. 

2 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Nice palms guys but this looks a lot to me like the natural cross between syagrus glaucescens and syagrus romanzoffiana. Pretty common in places where this species overlapping. 

Any chance one of the parents could be Butia? That base is very un-Syagrus looking.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

14 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Any chance one of the parents could be Butia? That base is very un-Syagrus looking.

No idea but you actually right! 

I'm wondering how syagrus coronata x butia?! 

Might be similar to the palms above

very few has this cross and if they post any pictures we can see if any difference 

This are two Syagrus sp Arcoverde that I planted in the municipality of  Tibagi st. Paraná. 

P_20180914_152010_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 6

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Cultivated from seeds sent by Gileno. Close of trunk showing some fruits.

P_20180914_151908_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 5

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Petioles.

P_20180914_152046_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 6

Fruits

P_20180914_151937_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 2

Leaflets detail

P_20180914_152027_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 3

It withstood some freezing temperatures some years ago without damage. Pic from the other side.

P_20180914_151855_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Upvote 7

I think i have this palm in my collection.Thinking it as a hybrid of Butia-Jubaea. Seeds were sent to me by Bro M@x,Italy.

I had gifted on nice grown one to the local park.While mine are still in pots. I will try to post visuals of it in a day or so.

I did not plant as i feared it would put massive trunk ! BTW. the leaf colour is blueish silver and very impressive.

Love,

Kris.

Edited by Kris
  • Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Took photos of mine, hope to post them tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here are photos of my Syagrus Arcoverde. I got it from Christian Faulkner a couple years ago. It was germinated in 2007 and was still strap leaf when I got it - a very slow grower. I planted it in my Garden Lot between a Gaussia maya and a Pseudophoenix sargentii. It has finally gone pinnate and its leaves has a definite blue tint. Nice Syagrus.

5ba3e0fdeb340_SyagrusspArcoverde0109-20-5ba3e10a1d4fe_SyagrusspArcoverde0209-20-5ba3e117c671d_SyagrusspArcoverde0309-20-5ba3e1269756f_SyagrusspArcoverde04-09-185ba3e13103eba_SyagrusspArcoverde0509-20-5ba3e140ac83b_SyagrusspArcoverde0609-20-

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Cont..

5ba5d59238626_JUBEAHY_08.thumb.jpg.4a3b1

I have to go and get updates of the palms gifted to this park. I heard they do not water any plants during summer when usually the borewells of this park goes totally dry..:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,  Good thing to have donated this palm to the park. It would be interesting to see how it looks today.... This palm is originated from a dry enviroment, so maybe, it will survive and thrive with neglect.... 

• Upvote 1

So glad to see this palm thriving on multiple continents! Thanks @Gileno Machado for the seed back then, these palms were moved from Venice to Miami, then back to Pine Island where they hung out at @Rusty on Pine Is. for a little bit. I traded some for other things, I wanted to spread them but not sell them. I still have my last one in a 15 gallon, not quite sure what to do with it. From what Gileno told me, these grow around 800m elevation (about 2600 ft) in Arcoverde, which is west of Recife in a much drier area. 

• Upvote 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

• 3 weeks later...

Very Nice. Glad they are doing so well in different climates. Mine look fine here too.

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers