IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Questions about Rio trip

mike in kurtistown

I have some questions about traveling to and living for two weeks in Brazil that I could use some help with. Since the answers will undoubtedly also benefit others on the Forum, I am asking them here. Other Forum members might also have their own questions.

No. 1 - How much of our cash, if any, should we change into Reals upon arrival? If we do exchange, do we do it at the airport, or can the hotel change our money into reals?

No. 2 - What kind of electrical outlets are used in Brazil? For instance, the outlets in France are different and require a converter before any US electrical device can be plugged in.

No. 3 - What kind of internet service is available in the Windsor Barra Hotel?

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I have some questions about traveling to and living for two weeks in Brazil that I could use some help with. Since the answers will undoubtedly also benefit others on the Forum, I am asking them here. Other Forum members might also have their own questions.

No. 1 - How much of our cash, if any, should we change into Reals upon arrival? If we do exchange, do we do it at the airport, or can the hotel change our money into reals?

No. 2 - What kind of electrical outlets are used in Brazil? For instance, the outlets in France are different and require a converter before any US electrical device can be plugged in.

No. 3 - What kind of internet service is available in the Windsor Barra Hotel?

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to meet you in Rio for the biennial.

About your questions:

1- I'm not sure but I believe you could exchange some cash at the airport upon arrival, but not much. They'll probably charge you some extra fixed taxes there and maybe offer you an exchange rate a little underestimated comparing to other banks downtown but it's safe to deal with them, in general, like in most airports worldwide. The same should apply to big hotel's front desk, they all exchange currency for the guests, maybe at a better exchange rate, in case they don't charge fixed fees and taxes. The dollar is still slowly comming down at the moment here, the devaluation was ~5% this year and more than 15% since a year ago. I guess we were very lucky to be able to book and pay for the hotel when the dollar was much stronger...I doubt they'd charge the same today...Anyway, expect the exchange rate to be around 1USD= R$1.75 when you're buying something in Brazil at the moment. Major international credit cards are accepted everywhere, with automatic conversion (Visa, Mastercard and American Express) so you won't need a lot in local currency except for small souvenirs, snacks, taxis, tips, etc...

2-In Brazil we have two electrical systems: 110V 60Hz for the South and Southeast (Rio included) and 220V 60Hz for the Northeastern States (I'm not sure about Manaus, maybe Don could help but I guess it's 220V), so the power outlet in Rio should be OK for most US electrical devices. Most computers and battery charges are actually bi-volt now and I don't think there'll be much trouble in Rio with power outlets. If there's any problem with coupling devices, I guess the hotel will be able to help...

3-I'll be surprised if they don't have free wireless wi-fi internet available at the hotel now, being a five-star class but I've been to a few big hotels in São Paulo where they charge an extra small fee and give you a password for unlimited use.

I Hope it helps,

Aloha & Boa Viagem (Have a nice trip)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Mike,

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to Rio. I hope you have a great trip.

As to money my advice is to use your ATM card to withdraw money when you need it. There is one thing to be aware of though. Not all ATM machines in Brazil work with withdrawls from foreign banks. If you look for the Visa Plus, Honor or similar on the machine it should be ok. There are multiple bank ATMS most everywhere under the BANCO 24 HORAS sign. You will find them in supermarkets, convience stores at gas stations, drug stores, and even many hotels. They work fine with most foreign ATM cards. All HSBC bank ATMs take foreign cards. Bradesco bank takes most foreign cards, but they do not take my Wachovia ATM card for example. The Banco do Brasil has certain ATMs but not all, the ones with Visa Plus, mastercard, AMEX on them work. I am letting you know this because I see tourists trying to use ATMS that do not make USD or Euro transactions trying to figure out what to do. I always recommend to take money out as you need it from ATMs over going to a bank or a currency exchange house to exchange money. At the airport one of their are ATMS. All of them for foreign withdrawls have either bilingual English - Portuguese, or a selection for the language allowing use in English.

As Gileno mentioned the current for electric varies in Brazil. In Manaus it is 110 V. Most hotels have outlets that take US and Brazilian plugs. Some places do not have outlets taking three prong plugs like computer power cables though.

As to internet all hotels of any size have either wireless in the lobby and cable in the rooms, or wireless everywhere. Many hotels are free, but some charge per day for internet service.

I look forward to meeting a few people as they come through Manaus this week.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thank you Gileno and Don for your information about ATM's . It will be very helpful and help decide how much money to take.

Palm Student

Suzanne Rowlands