IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea at cooler high latitudes

Bennz

What is the highest latitude at which Roystoneas are established? Is there any species that truly has better cool tolerance than others?

Following the discussion a while back suggesting moderate cool tolerance for R. borinquena,  I have recently received some seeds of this species collected at about 600m in Puerto Rico, which seems to be about the highest elevation this species occurs at. While this elevation is certainly cooler than the lowlands, it still seems to be about the same as my summer all year around. I am reasonably confident that I could get them to establish in my frost free area with the help of climate shelters to give them the required daytime heat, but is there any real long-term chance?

Is there any site where Roystonea grows at 2000m? I'm sure I would not be the only one queing up for seeds if there is...

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Roystonea's growing at 2000 meters? Thats over 6000 feet up. BURRRRRR! Without looking at any palm books, I can't think of one.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I know Roystoneas grow at nearly 1500m in Costa Rica and they also grow in Medellin at 1500m, but 2000m might be pushing it.

Anybody been to Bogota and seen Roystoneas?

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Hi,

I remember to see Roystonea oleracea nearby Caracas city, Venezuela ( 1200 - 1500m ), on the mountains and between Caracas and Colonia Tovar ( 1000 - 2200m ) it is not difficult to see some Roystonea palms. By the way, in this area there are a lot of Ceroxylon interruptum too!

Regards,

Carlos

Bennz,

I'm experimenting with R. borenquena in my northern California Bay Area landscape and so far, so good. This is only its second year in the ground but it has grown from a two strap leaf seedling to a nice looking 17 inch all pinnate plant and has experienced temps in the low 30s (1 or 2C) without protection and only receives 2 hours of direct winter sun but 7 to 9 hours of spring/ summer sun. Our summers are mild here, probably similar to yours with a rare heat wave now and then. Sorry, I don't have a picture to post right now.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

wow, Roystonea and Ceroxylon together? I'd love to see a picture of that! Which Roystonea occurs there?

The problem with growing marginal palms is that even if they do survive, they often look pretty unhappy when right at their extreme tolerances. I know I should forget Roystonea and just plant Ceroxylon, which are a much better climatic fit for me. Although if Roystonea can grow at Colonia Tovar, they should grow well here. Ah well, back to dreaming... maybe one day I will photograph R. borinquena growing in a forest of Ceroxylon quindiuense in my back paddock.

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

(JakeK @ Dec. 03 2006,15:42)

I know Roystoneas grow at nearly 1500m in Costa Rica and they also grow in Medellin at 1500m, but 2000m might be pushing it.

Anybody been to Bogota and seen Roystoneas?

Yes, and YES!!!

I saw a Roystonea (don't know which one) growing in Bogotá at ... 2600 mts! I remember seeing a Queen palm too, reeeally stunted but growing.

Looks like it was in a sheltered location. Sorry I didn't take a picture but I'll be returning soon and will demand to be taken there.

Common palms overthere are Ceroxylons, King palms, CIDP, other date palms, Ph. roebellenii, and stunted D. lutescens. No Trachys although they can be a nice introduction to the landscape.

But once you take the road to Sylvania, Fusagasugá, Melgar, etc, heading towards the Tolima department, going down to perhaps 1500 mts and lower, Roystoneas are truly massive and very common.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Frank are you suggesting the Bogota Roystonea was less stunted than the Queen ??? I would have thought Bogota would be so heat-deprived from the palm growing perspective that true tropicals would be impossible there. Also are there any Parajubaea in Bogota?

Is this climate tables accurate for Bogota? Because if this is accurate, then Bogota almost as cold as my coldest month, but all year around.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather...s=022208&refer=

All these comments keep me hoping.

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Bennz,

I remember Roystonea oleracea in the way to Colonia Tovar, not in main town!

If there are someone out there from Merida in Venezuela, please go to the Central Square and take a photo to the big R. oleracea which is living there since long time ( I hope it´s still there ) It´s living at 1641 meters high, in a very humid and cold place. Well, it´s in the tropic, so temperatures are high in the day, just you should have in mind.

In Tenerife island, here in the Canary islands, you can see Roystonea regia living in La Laguna, at 600 meter. Ask to Carlo Morici for some pictures in the way to Mesa Mota.

Good luck Bennz!

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Ben.

Roystoneas are hot lovers and grow just when temps. are over 25 or 27º C.-

I saw some few rare Roystonea regia growing in the downton of Salta city in my country at 1200 (aprox.) metres a.s.l..-

Some rare and few grow here in the dowtown of my city but slowly.-

Tried a good  sized one, here in the sububs, had survived some winters with protection but was easily killed (completely destroyed) by 2000 year august freeze.-

Mine was too exposed, and received dammage (sunburn) from our strong sun every summer.-

(remember that we havent the benefic of the ozone layer over our heads!:-)

Good luck with your Roystonea trial.-

Like Jim, I put some bottles, and some Roystonea 's in the ground. The bottles are about 3 feet and the Roystonea 's are about 5-6. They had some slight damage to them just this past week when we have had temps in the low 30's(0c) even falliing to a low 26F(-3C). It has been quite cold lately, although we have had warm days, cold at night. When we were in the mid 20's i did rap them out and threw a towel over them.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(Bennz @ Dec. 04 2006,15:12)

Frank are you suggesting the Bogota Roystonea was less stunted than the Queen ??? I would have thought Bogota would be so heat-deprived from the palm growing perspective that true tropicals would be impossible there. Also are there any Parajubaea in Bogota?

Is this climate tables accurate for Bogota? Because if this is accurate, then Bogota almost as cold as my coldest month, but all year around.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather...s=022208&refer=

All these comments keep me hoping.

The royal didn't look stunted. It was in the middle of brick buildings so I assume that had to do with it's survival chances there.

I saw Parajubaea at the José Celestino Mutis Botanical Gardens.

The climate looks accurate, with almost constant rain for the "winter" months.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Zack,

Yes, I have Roystonea in the ground but I'm not brave enough to plant my bottle palm in the groud. It's growing in a black pot on my flagsone back patio in full sun but I roll her inside every night in the late fall and  winter and she's pushing a new spear quickly even now. They really hate cold feet.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I love Roystonea's so much, I am tempted to plant one and build some type of elaborate protection system for it on the coldest nights.  I normally don't do elaborate cold protection, but Roystoneas might be worth it.