IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Horrible Discovery for my Sabal(s)

carolinapalms

Okay, I know this one is dead. It was transplanted two years ago. It has been a horrible winter. It just didn't make it. I went out to look at it today. The trunk was soft. It squished in when I pushed on it.

post-1817-12686085732157_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12686085848907_thumb.jpg

But to my Surprise: This healthy looking Sabal has a soft trunk too. Is this one going to die also? I fear that it is. What is causing this holes? I was planning on replacing the obvious dead Sabal this Spring. Now I am wandering what is going on with these palms. When I push on the trunk, it sinks in about a quarter on an inch if not more.

post-1817-12686087255892_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12686087438216_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12686087648311_thumb.jpg

Sounds like it's probably palmetto weevils. There are preventatives, but I think once they are infected one generally has to remove the palm.

From what you have pictured, this is not the actual trunk, just the old boots and they can feel that way. They are fibrous feeling in the spots you have picture where you have been poking around and you can push in a bit on them in places. It looks fine (the green one in your second post).

Zone 9 Central Florida

I took pictures of the boots. It appears that something has burrowed in at that spot. However, the trunks are soft all the way down. :(

maybe some better pics. If I had to say it looks like a woodpecker has been at it. I have the same problem occasionally, bugs like to hide in the boots and woody goes after them.

Semper Fi

Don

Should I be alarmed that my apparently healthy tree has a soft, squishy trunk. I had planned to transplant more Sabal Palmettos this Spring. I am now concerned that something in my yard is doing this.

I found this:

Rhynchophorus cruentatus Fabricius, Family Curculionidae (Snout and Bark Beetles). According to the University of Florida, the palmetto weevil is the largest weevil in North America (this one is about an inch long). This weevil "is native to Florida and is the only species of palm weevil in the continental United States. Worldwide, there are ten described species of palm weevils. Until recently, the palmetto weevil was considered a minor pest, attacking only severely wounded and dying trees. However, it is starting to gain status as a pest of stressed nursery and transplanted palms."

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I found this:

Rhynchophorus cruentatus Fabricius, Family Curculionidae (Snout and Bark Beetles). According to the University of Florida, the palmetto weevil is the largest weevil in North America (this one is about an inch long). This weevil "is native to Florida and is the only species of palm weevil in the continental United States. Worldwide, there are ten described species of palm weevils. Until recently, the palmetto weevil was considered a minor pest, attacking only severely wounded and dying trees. However, it is starting to gain status as a pest of stressed nursery and transplanted palms."

It might be Alberto but we still need some better pics.

Sables don't always transplant well especially if it had been at the nursery to long. It seems to me it would take about 2 years to die if it never rerooted after it was planted. One would need to dig into the hole to see if it was the cause or came after the fact. In Alabama you can find large Sables in pots that have already regenerated roots. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Don

If it's pushing out new growth... it should have regenerated some roots.

So you're saying the whole trunk is soft? This is strange. My Sabal Palmetto is as hard as a rock on the trunk itself. I have seen birds making small holes in the boot area like yours, getting nesting materials. I'd say give it some time and see... no idea why the whole thing would be soft.

Zone 9 Central Florida

Yes, the entire trunk is soft now on both trees. Within the next few day, I am going to cut the obvious dead tree down. At that point I will perform an "autopsy". I'll post some pics if there is anything interesting.

Yes, the entire trunk is soft now on both trees. Within the next few day, I am going to cut the obvious dead tree down. At that point I will perform an "autopsy". I'll post some pics if there is anything interesting.

Yes, please do!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Unfortunate to say the least! badday.gif It appears you have some large chunks of mulch to deal with now. crying.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I took a slice out of the trunk. Here is what it looks like.

post-1817-12687826693382_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12687827126409_thumb.jpg

post-1817-126878272633_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12687827434552_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but this demonstrates that I can push in on some spots of the green tree.

I didn't find any beetles or anything obvious inside the tree.

I would imagine that the first tree just didn't take and it rotted. I think the holes are from a woodpecker.

But why is this healthy looking tree becoming soft?

post-1817-1268782797098_thumb.jpg

post-1817-12687828085997_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you can tell, but this demonstrates that I can push in on some spots of the green tree.

I would imagine that the first tree just didn't take and it rotted. I think the holes are from a woodpecker.

Was it soft before? I've noticed that sometimes there is an outer covering over the fibers that is actually pretty soft, this is only with transplanted trees, and occurs because of the way that they trim the boots off. Don't chop the green one down quite yet.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I don't think that is was soft before. I'll wait and see what happens to the green one.

I can see what you mean... I see it pushing in but I have never seen that before. Since it's still green, just be patient and see what happens this summer with it. It's not a beetle problem though or the bud would be dead I think. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I've never saw anything like this before on a Sabal Palmetto with green leaves.

Zone 9 Central Florida

Sables don't always transplant well especially if it had been at the nursery to long. It seems to me it would take about 2 years to die if it never rerooted after it was planted. One would need to dig into the hole to see if it was the cause or came after the fact. In Alabama you can find large Sables in pots that have already regenerated roots. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Don

My adult sabal was purchased the last year, after 6 years at nursery, and is behaving quite well!

First, I don't think it's the palmetto weevil, as they attack the apical meristem (growth bud) area as larva, eating it away until the entire crown collapses.

Your photos definitely look like trunk rot. I have no idea what disease caused it, but I had two palms (one a majesty palm, another a royal palm) both die of trunk rot. The trunks started getting a spongy feel to them, then they started to shrivel, and eventually all the fronds started to die.

With regard to the majesty palm, I sent samples (as directed) to Dr. Monica L. Elliott, professor and Interim Center Director University of Florida - IFAS Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center. She tested the tissue samples and told me it was trunk rot, but I can't recall what disease caused it (this was several years ago).

Mad about palms

It could have very well been caused by the cold, wet winter we have had down south this year.

Zone 9 Central Florida

My guess is that it was dropped on the tree bar when the landscaper was transporting it. Clear away the soft tissue and drench with a good fungicide. The cold weather probably helped along the rot but is not likely the cause. It might live but have a very ugly hole in it. It needs to dry out. Maybe peroxide will work.

The other tree was definately the evil palmetto weevil.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 4 weeks later...

I cut the tree down a few weeks ago. Yesterday the replacement tree was planted. When the guy pulled up the stump, he discovered that the root ball was still wrapped in plastic. :hmm: He asked who planted the original tree. I wasn't at home, but my wife told him that we used the same company.

I cut the tree down a few weeks ago. Yesterday the replacement tree was planted. When the guy pulled up the stump, he discovered that the root ball was still wrapped in plastic. :hmm: He asked who planted the original tree. I wasn't at home, but my wife told him that we used the same company.

Sabals are tough but not stupid-proof. Hope this outfit did a better job this time.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I thought this kind of things only coold happen here.....:mrlooney::huh::rolleyes:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Sabals are tough but not stupid-proof. Hope this outfit did a better job this time.

And they should at least return your money for the originals. Obviously, it's not your fault they died.