IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa Experiment #1

Just1MorePalm

I haven't seen these palms in full splendor without some form of protection in this area(Southern California)...I have read that these palms are "proving to be more hardy that we first thought"....So I figured what the heck...

I removed some "huge" 6 year old Queens, dug out massive piles of roots and began my experiment...

The first picture is of the Queens(RIP)planted from 15s about 6 years ago...and the second is of the new test subjects...they will be in full coastal sun, South Facing...they were planted from root bound large 7 gal pots...I acclimated them for about a month to my current local and saw a warming trend so off we go...

I live in Huntington Beach Ca about 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean...

Your comments, Advice, Ridicule are appreciated...

Happy Growing...

post-4259-12681883060595_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12681883580149_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 5

wow! that will be a great entrance when they produce the new red fronds. i have a friend with a macrocarpa slightly larger than yours in full sun. it does really well and still throws vibrant red fronds although the climate is somewhat different hererolleyes.gif .

good luck with the experiment!

Can't comment about your chances, but what is that in the first picture planted under the power line?

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Nice choice of palms! Those C.macrocarpa's look like they are in great shape. Don't know how they will fare in the full-sun but I wouldn't be surprised if they burned up allot. Mine have been acclimating for 6 months and are frying up like bacon but that may not be the case for you. In any event in 2 to 4 years they will be acclimated and looking awesome. There are some splendid examples of this palm in full sun down here in South OC.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Steve,

That's a city planted King palm...5 years ago from a 15 gallon...it is not danger of hitting the power lines...It's a good 15-20 feet from the lines...maybe this angle is better to see.

Curry..I would love to see them....everyone I see have some form of protection...

post-4259-12681913473279_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just1MorePalm
  • Upvote 1

One-More:

Welcome to our group!

You are among friends, even if we get a little looney once in a while :mrlooney:

I've grown hundreds of them (mostly in pots, 23 in the ground) and Chambeys will take a while to acclimatize to the full sun. I think you'll see a lot of leaf burn, unless the specimens you planted are already acclimatized to full sun.

On the other hand, they'll probably do better where you are than further inland, though you're not right on the beach.

I'm in La Habra, and I have some large ones that did well after I took down the big tree that sheltered them.

I'd give yours plenty of water, especially in the summer. Maybe every other day, for a few minutes at a time. These guys are thirsty.

All of that said, once they take, they'll look marvelous.

And, if you want to see some in the flesh, just drive up Beach Booley, make a right where it "T"s at Whittier Booley, and you're near my place.

Best of luck and keep us apprized of what happens.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Steve,

That's a city planted King palm...5 years ago from a 15 gallon...it is not danger of hitting the power lines...It's a good 15-20 feet from the lines...maybe this angle is better to see.

Curry..I would love to see them....everyone I see have some form of protection...

I have one planted in full sun here in Hawai`i. It's near a lily pond so the humidity is a bit higher than normal. It's looking pretty good w/a few feet of trunk. The trouble is it's in a bad spot to photo between some bamboo and a few banana trees.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

My oldest one, same size as the ones pictured, has done very well for me in a mostly shaded spot. The one frond that has stretched out into midday sun got pretty scorched during a three day 95F + very dry heat wave. The rest of the palm, protected from full sun, looks fine. What I like about these is their continued, albeit slow, growth throughout the winter months.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My oldest one, same size as the ones pictured, has done very well for me in a mostly shaded spot. The one frond that has stretched out into midday sun got pretty scorched during a three day 95F + very dry heat wave. The rest of the palm, protected from full sun, looks fine. What I like about these is their continued, albeit slow, growth throughout the winter months.

Water them light and often in the summer. Or, heavy and often if the Water Klan won't lynch you . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You are in HB, like me, so I take it you got them from the Magnolia Home Depot. Those palms are from Rancho Soledad, so they are not acclimated. You will get leaf burn. How much will be dependent on which direction your house is facing. Like Dave has said, they will take time to acclimate to the sun.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Not sure how long they will take to acclimate, but I do know that they will, and will eventually look great. I have seen a couple big ones here in Fallbrook that are in pretty much all day, full sun and they look very good! Best of luck with them.

Dave..Thx for the kind words...I hope that someday these babies will grow into palms like yours are...I have been giving them lots of water and will continue to...they are fairly acclimated from what I can tell..the branches are not too stretched...I kept them in the sun for about a month while I dug out the roots of the queens...They didn't show any signs of burn at all...I expect some bleaching, but hopefully they will not burn to much...only time will tell...I attached another photo to show the compact canopy better...

Hey Joe...They are from Rancho Soledad...the shade house at Rancho Soledad is only 50% and as far inland as they are compared to HB I think I have a pretty good chance that these babies will only get bleached not burned...

These were the biggest, root bound 7 gallons they had with a compact leaf structure...and Jess gave me a killer recession buster deal...So, I thought I would return the favor and use(sacrifice) them in the name of science(Thank You, Jess from Rancho Soledad!)...I've bought other Chamby's from Home Depot and yes they get them from Ranco Soledad, but I have never had them burn...the palms were smaller though and I put them under other palms. So this is new territory for me, Full South facing sun...No were to hide...If we fail we have a contingency plan...Get the bigger size palm in photo #2...

Thank you Jason I hope Your right...If there Chamby's growing in full sun that are mature palms in Fallbrook...that is encouraging...The palms I see around here always have some form of protection from another tree or building...So its nice to hear those success stories...especially as far inland as Fallbrook...

post-4259-1268202863708_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12682034140398_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just1MorePalm
  • Upvote 1

They will be fine, just will not look pretty for a while. The winter sun (especially this winter) will not burn the fronds too badly. The real test will come this summer. BTW, no matter what size palm you put in, the fronds will burn off as it goes through the acclimation process. I also would have bought them from Home Depot instead of Rancho Soledad because you would have gotten a year guarantee instead of none...

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Like Dave said, keep the water up to them and they should be fine, they don't look stretched at all and they are very healthy looking, :drool:

I have seen many grown in full sun in Australia's tropical summers and they seem to suffer worse if they are subjected to strong hot winds as well as the sun, good luck, keep us posted.

:)

• Upvote 1

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

They will be fine, just will not look pretty for a while. The winter sun (especially this winter) will not burn the fronds too badly. The real test will come this summer. BTW, no matter what size palm you put in, the fronds will burn off as it goes through the acclimation process. I also would have bought them from Home Depot instead of Rancho Soledad because you would have gotten a year guarantee instead of none...

Joe...The Home Depot is great but it's a lot more expensive and dossen't have the size or selection you get from Rancho Soledad...Home Depot sells them this size for $199 each...Thats a good value but not near what I paid...My savings will cover the cost to replace them if necessary...The Home Depot is good for a quick fix, but if I buy multiple palms it's worth going to the source and picking out the "best" palm/s for the application...This also gives you an opportunity to negotiate a better price on the package...With Rancho Soledad you also get a free tour of some of the nicest palms around and some pretty smart and helpful people...

• Upvote 1

That sure is a nice looking planting. They look compact. I suspect you'll get some burn this summer but they will acclimate in time. They can handle full sun at your location after they grow some roots for a few years. Don't give up on them, they'll look amazing some day.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Chambeys don't stretch in the shade like some palms do.

They'll lose that dark coloring and be much lighter in the sun, even if they don't burn.

dave

I have nine Chambey's in the ground in HB. My hookeri, that was shade grown has been in the ground for well over a year. Every frond it throws out gets burned and it is not even in full South facing sun. The existing fronds are going to fry to a crisp this summer. The palms will not look pretty, but they will make it. Since this palm only throws 2/3 fronds a year, it will take time for them to recover and look good. Once they do, I agree, it will be a great planting.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

nice full sun lots of water they will be fine i have 5 out of seven in full sun I thought home depot was expensive @ 59.98 here wow i guess not

• Upvote 1

I tend to neglect macrocarpa. Well-shaded in a hot location yet it grows very slow. I've underestimated its water needs, it appears.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

OK, now that I've got a moment I went and shot up a champ macrocarpa to serve as a shining example to us all.

This beauty is under a mile from the beach.

Chanbey_southsc1.jpg

Talked to the man who raised/planted this Chembeyronia too. He said he started exposing it to sun(not sure if half day or full day) as a small thing. Many years later this is what we have. Shows what can happen in the big picture of things.

Also, it may not look like it but this palm is out a ways in the front yard with little shade or protection. This guy is in full sun.

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Here is a Chambeyronia planted sometime in the last 3 years, not sure exactly. I think it may be a houailou but the leaves are so burnt that my id is jacked. More likely a hookeri or macrocarpa...maybe Jerry can chime in and tell us the story on this palm(his 5 star front yard!)

It's in full-sun as you can see and is acclimating at it's own pace. What do you think this palm will look like 3-5 years from now?

Chanbey_southsc3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Vince Bury

Another angle.

Chanbey_southsc2.jpg

WOW...That is an awesome site to see...I would bet the new frond is amazing too...I can only hope that my experiment reaches that level...That puppy is fat & happy...You don't see that everyday...

What is the silver trunk palm behind it?

Thank You for the great picture... :greenthumb:

Edited by Just1MorePalm
  • Upvote 1

i am gonna say thats a caryota trunk behind it.

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Outstanding observation Paul, I agree, and is that yellow item a fire hydrant ? Shouldn't it be red ? Man, the world is full of wonderful things, yellow fire hydrant, well I never.

Nice Chambys by the way and I love the swap you did, out go the queens, in come the flamethrowers.

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have 5 or so of them. I threws them into full sun as 20G and they didn't like that at all. It took about 3 years to look somewhat good. Now, they look just great in full sun and have trunks in the 3'-5' range.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Provided you don't get too hot, 40C or over and you keep the water up to them, there is a good chance they will eventually take the sun, although it may get ugly along the way. A friend of mine who lives within a couple of miles of the coast tends to plant seedlings in full sun, and he's planted C hookeri's as 3 leaf seedlings out in fullsun. Well they shrivelled up, but gradually got over it all and are now fat little things that are taking the sun though a little bleached. However what else would you expect for a plant only 12 inches tall. They are going to be the toughest, fattest Chambeyronia's around. I don't know how my friend does it. He did the same to his 12 inch tall Hyophorbe indica's and they're now fat little things. I put a 6ft tall H indica in part sun and the thing burns like a wimp, however I'm 12 miles inland, maybe that's the difference.

If you pull it off, your Chambeyronias will be quite a sight.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Update: 2 weeks since I first planted these puppies...We have had a few very sunny and hot days for this time of year...But, for the most part the weather conditions have be ideal...There is no real "burn" so far...the growth has continued without any lag...I have been watering on a regular basis about a gallon a day each on the sunniest days and then skip the overcast days...Thank You Dave in SoCal for the advice on the watering...I really think they would have burned and bleached without the extra watering....I planted some robelini that burned a little during the same time frame, and they have been getting the same treatment...

We are not out of the woods yet, since this is only the second day of spring...But, we are off to a better start than I had hoped for...Some of those days were HOT (85F)...

I swear on the PalmTalk "Rules and Guidelines" that no artificial shade has been used.(I have been tempted though)

post-4259-12692027370552_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12692028120428_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12692028838214_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

For the second week, they look great :drool: once again, Dave beat me to it but WATER, WATER, WATER, and good luck, so far so good.

• Upvote 1

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

For the second week, they look great :drool: once again, Dave beat me to it but WATER, WATER, WATER, and good luck, so far so good.

Thanks Lowey, It was your second vote for more water that pushed me over the edge...I usually will water the new palms in well at first, then wait for a few days then begin a light water on the root ball...but, after each watering these trees seem very happy so I keep giving it to them and they just seem happier...since these are in the front walk of my house were they cant hide I hope to do this right...I still watch them to be sure that the water drains and is not pooling...I have a few other Chambey's in my yard that are now getting a larger dose of H2O thanks to you guys and they responding well too...I'm fortunate my soil here is a mix of sand and clay and it drains pretty well...Thanks Again...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lowey, It was your second vote for more water that pushed me over the edge...I usually will water the new palms in well at first, then wait for a few days then begin a light water on the root ball...but, after each watering these trees seem very happy so I keep giving it to them and they just seem happier...since these are in the front walk of my house were they cant hide I hope to do this right...I still watch them to be sure that the water drains and is not pooling...I have a few other Chambey's in my yard that are now getting a larger dose of H2O thanks to you guys and they responding well too...I'm fortunate my soil here is a mix of sand and clay and it drains pretty well...Thanks Again...

So how are they progressing :D

Bruce

Great advice, I am thinking of putting some in full sun too.

Will be interested in how they go over the warmer months.

Good Luck

PS Do C. hookerii have the same amount of sun tolerance?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Lowey...Thx for asking...

The Palms are trucking along...We have had quite a few hot days and some windy days with low humidity, but they haven't shown any signs of burn yet...Ive had one frond open and it is almost hardened off and might be a little lighter green than the others..only time will tell...I am watering them nearly everyday on the Sunny /dry days and they seem to respond well to that...Its a good thing that the palms are in a well draining position...They sit in chopped up roots from the Queen palms I took out and sandy native soil...So the drainage is excellent...

I still have my fingers crossed since our sunniest days are still ahead...

The first picture is from 3/28 when the first frond started to harden off...the other pics were the best I could get with the sun starting to blast the area this morning...It's going to be over 80f again today...ouch!

Again...I swear on the "PalmTalk Rules and Guidelines" no artificial sun protection has been used...

Stephen...Not sure about the Hookerii and its hardiness...this is all uncharted waters for me...

post-4259-12707410406757_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12707410892123_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12707411348467_thumb.jpg

post-4259-12707411651817_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just1MorePalm

You're not out of the woods yet or anytime soon. The summer is comming and it will be the real test. The last couple of weeks is mild to say the least. Even though you're close to the beach, I say it will take about two years to acclimate. The palms will do very well in your area. BTW, they're trunking already? They look about 2-3 three inches across. Mine is about six inches accross and it is not trunking yet. Very nice palms!

Here is a Chambeyronia planted sometime in the last 3 years, not sure exactly. I think it may be a houailou but the leaves are so burnt that my id is jacked. More likely a hookeri or macrocarpa...maybe Jerry can chime in and tell us the story on this palm(his 5 star front yard!)

It's in full-sun as you can see and is acclimating at it's own pace. What do you think this palm will look like 3-5 years from now?

Chanbey_southsc3.jpg

Curry...I saw that palm last week...and I think it's a fake or in a state of suspended animation...It looked exactly the same as when you took that picture...if its still there in 3 years I think it will look exactly the same...the owner said it is a Macro...he also said he has had trouble with that area of his yard...Bad drainage...and this palm is getting pulled soon...

although, the triple macro in the back was a sight to see Wow! I wish I had my camera...no bad drainage there...It is one of the largest triples around...

You're not out of the woods yet or anytime soon. The summer is comming and it will be the real test. The last couple of weeks is mild to say the least. Even though you're close to the beach, I say it will take about two years to acclimate. The palms will do very well in your area. BTW, they're trunking already? They look about 2-3 three inches across. Mine is about six inches accross and it is not trunking yet. Very nice palms!

I know we have a long way to go...but I am very pleased with the hardiness so far...I thought they were going to fry the first week...We are taking it one day at a time...and so far so good...

They all have a little trunk, a couple of inches...they were container-ized so the caliper is not that large but they should beef up over time...they will probably be on the slim side...

Looking at your pictures I see something that is important. Add more mulch! That little bit of bark is not gonna help you when it gets hot. Add a 2" layer of compost and then another 2" of your decorative bark. That decorative bark is pretty useless unless you pile it on super thick. But you need to get 4" of organics over that dirt and your palms will love it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)