IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will Cocos nucifera (Coconut) grow in Sydney, Australia?

CoconutFreak

I was wondering if Cocos nucifera (Coconut) would grow in Sydney, Australia. I live there, and we have a warm temperate climate (Or some people say Humid Subtropical). Usually humid, winters are mildly cool with the coldest temperature ever recorded in the City center being 2 degrees celcius ABOVE freezing (0c). Summers can be very hot with temperatures in the 30s (Celcius) and a record high of about 45 degrees celcius. Usally frost free. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

CoconutFreak.

Northern Sydney, Central Coast Region. Zone 10a.

Temperature Extremes: -4 to +43

Warm Oceanic Temperate/Humid Subtropical Climate.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

I'd say, unfortunately, no. Not because of the absolute lows, but because of the cold duration. There may be a chance if you have a good microclimate, you use the right type, you fertilize it a lot in summer etc. but you'd be better off sticking with a Beccariophoenix alfredii.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

So true, Beccariophoenix is a better choice. I have a 'Windows' Beccariophoenix and they grow great here. I am trying to get Alfredii. Apparently a local nursery is going to get them. The owner of the nursery also likes palms.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

I'd give it a go if I were you.

Tyrone is growing one in Perth, I doubt whether your winter is any cooler than his???

Maybe get a dwarf variety, so you can protect it for longer, some are hardier than others I believe.

There is a guy in Port Macquarie ('Palm Nut' I think) who is growing one.

We're trying some crazy things down here in the roaring 40's, so why not hop on board the Marginal Waggon!

Cheers,

Jonathan

PS. PM me about B. alfredii, might be able to help you out.

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Sydney\ 34S is at the same latitude as Los Angeles\ 34N & coconut palms just don't seem well suited for our cool winters [though some have grown nucifera w/ mixed results]. Even San Diego is too cool for coconuts.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Your climate doesn't sound that much different from mine in SW FL: hot, humid, rainy summers and warm/cool, dry winters. Is that correct? Does anyone else in Sydney grow coconuts? Where I live coconuts thrive like fleas on a dog. Despite our awful winter I think the vast majority will survive although they look ratty. My young yellow Malayan and red spicata took down to -2C, got a heck of a beating but will probably come back. Good thing coconuts grow fast.

I'd say give them a try and see what happens.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for your opinions everyone. Yeah Sydney is a bit like a cool-winter Florida. Humid summers.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

What I could do is get a Dwarf Variety and cover it with plastic in winter nights.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

I'd say try it with a Pacific tall. They will get up and out of the cold air sooner and are easier to care for.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

If you've ever seen one in Sydney, go for it. If you haven't, then probably no.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I was reading some other gardening forum, and someone said they saw Coconut palms in Sydney. I also thought I saw one, but it might have been a nice looking Howea.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Some people say, King palms (Archontophoenix) look like Coconuts.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Thanks for your opinions everyone. Yeah Sydney is a bit like a cool-winter Florida. Humid summers.

Sydney is much, much cooler than Florida in both winter and summer. Ft Myers is almost as warm during their winters for highs as Sydney is during their summer.

Here is a comparison of Ft Myers FL and Sydney NSW

Sydney

January 78.8 °F 66.4 °F 5.10 in

February 79.2 °F 66.7 °F 5.00 in

March 77.4 °F 64.2 °F 6.40 in

April 73.8 °F 59.4 °F 5.20 in

May 68.5 °F 53.6 °F 4.00 in

June 63.9 °F 49.3 °F 5.50 in

July 62.8 °F 47.1 °F 2.20 in

August 64.8 °F 48.9 °F 3.90 in

September 68.7 °F 52.7 °F 2.50 in

October 72.0 °F 57.4 °F 3.50 in

November 74.7 °F 60.8 °F 4.60 in

December 77.9 °F 64.6 °F 3.30 in

Fort Myers FL

January 75.0 °F 54.0 °F 2.23 in

February 77.0 °F 55.0 °F 2.10 in

March 80.0 °F 59.0 °F 2.74 in

April 85.0 °F 63.0 °F 1.67 in

May 89.0 °F 68.0 °F 3.42 in

June 91.0 °F 73.0 °F 9.77 in

July 92.0 °F 74.0 °F 8.98 in

August 92.0 °F 74.0 °F 9.54 in

September 90.0 °F 74.0 °F 7.86 in

October 86.0 °F 69.0 °F 2.59 in

November 81.0 °F 62.0 °F 1.71 in

December 77.0 °F 56.0 °F 1.58 in

• Upvote 1

I was wondering if Cocos nucifera (Coconut) would grow in Sydney, Australia. I live there, and we have a warm temperate climate (Or some people say Humid Subtropical). Usually humid, winters are mildly cool with the coldest temperature ever recorded in the City center being 2 degrees celcius ABOVE freezing (0c). Summers can be very hot with temperatures in the 30s (Celcius) and a record high of about 45 degrees celcius. Usally frost free. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Ben

Where are you in Sydney as this will be the major factor if your able to grow a coconut or not. I have heard in the past that coconuts have been growen in Sydney successfully though never a great looker, but if its the challenge that your after I would say go for it.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Sydney's temps look more like southern Cal than Florida to me (actually cooler than SoCal, imo)

Well, for whatever reason, Sydney can grow plams that are not found growing in SoCal. I would bet it is the humidity and the fact the absolute lows are not as often and extreme as found in SoCal.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'd give it a go if I were you.

Tyrone is growing one in Perth, I doubt whether your winter is any cooler than his???

Maybe get a dwarf variety, so you can protect it for longer, some are hardier than others I believe.

There is a guy in Port Macquarie ('Palm Nut' I think) who is growing one.

We're trying some crazy things down here in the roaring 40's, so why not hop on board the Marginal Waggon!

Cheers,

Jonathan

PS. PM me about B. alfredii, might be able to help you out.

Sydney has cooler maximums in winter than Perth. Port Macquarie and Perth have similar winter temps being at similar latitudes. Getting to 20C in winter every day is your biggest obstacle to growing Cocos nucifera in Sydney .

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sydney is much, much cooler than Florida in both winter and summer. Ft Myers is almost as warm during their winters for highs as Sydney is during their summer.

Sydney

Fort Myers FL

Thanks for the data, Jim

I was struck by how much rainfall Sydney gets each month compared to California. New South Wales certainly is not a Mediterranean climate. As John points out, that moisture is likely why Sydney is frost-free. The climate seems like the east coast of South Africa well south of Durban.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We have more humidity and rainfall than California, so TAKE THAT California! Colder than Florida though.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Orlando Florida has similar temps to Sydney. Sydney winter low 8 degrees Celcius, Orlando winter low 10 degrees celcius.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

We have more humidity and rainfall than California, so TAKE THAT California! Colder than Florida though.

Yes you are in a much more fortunate rain region, similar to the East Coast of the U.S. than Western Australia.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Having originally grown up in Eastwood(suburb in NE Sydney),and living there for 25 years growing palms,i'd say Yes in growing a coconut in Sydney,but only in a sheltered microclimate...say the northern beaches in a north-easterly spot,protected from winter southerlies and in full sun 365 days ayear.A coconut that i saw growing at Foster is the most southerly grown one that i have seen growing well!(mind you it was facing north and up against abrick wall).Hope this info helps and good luck!...cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

• Upvote 1

Sydney

Fort Myers FL

Thanks for the data, Jim

I was struck by how much rainfall Sydney gets each month compared to California. New South Wales certainly is not a Mediterranean climate. As John points out, that moisture is likely why Sydney is frost-free. The climate seems like the east coast of South Africa well south of Durban.

Yes, NSW and Sydney have very consistent rainfall through the year due to prevailing SE winds which blow over the warm Pacific Ocean picking up moisture and dropping it over land especially when there is a mountain range running parallel to the entire east coast of Oz. I would call Sydney's climate a humid warm temperate/subtropical climate. According to the Koepen system of climate classification Sydney just misses out being sub-tropical as it is less than 18C on average during the day in the coolest month being around 16C on average. (The Keopen system puts the sub-tropics at starting around Port Macquarie at 31.5S.) However that is merely academic as some systems call southern England sub-tropical!!!!!!!!. Further north these SE prevailing winds switch to NE winds in the monsoon season bringing tropical rains etc. Sydney is much too far south to get this and generally stays in a SE flow all year round. The NE switch doesn't happen until you're in the tropics, maybe as far north as Mackay.

Sydney still has a winter peak of rainfall at 130mm in June though, but the variance between summer and winter is nothing like the variance in Perth on the west coast which is strongly Mediterranean.

Now to growing a coconut in Sydney, Newcal has touched on many pertinent points and has summed up my coconut's experience. In Sydney you have to increase daytime heat to the palm from May through to Sept. (Here in Perth it's just June to Sept) A north facing bright coloured wall with protection from cold southerlies is an absolute must. Plant it in total sand, no manures or composts at all, as these will retain much too much winter rainfall and will rot the palm. Put lots of rocks etc around the base and make sure you can get all of these rocks to absorb winter sun. No shadows must fall on your coconut during winter, so nothing tall near it on the north side if possible. In it's early years it pays to cover your coconut in a clear plastic tent. This may heat up rather a lot in winter, but don't be tempted to give it much water or fertiliser then. If it gets real hot in there as can happen on freak winter days, you can splash a bit of water on the leaves but not enough to soak the ground or hang around for nightfall. You want it bone dry by nightfall. As the coconut grows each winter can be a bit less protected. My coconut went through last winter with a hole cut in it's roof, and didn't really suffer, just a few black spots. This year it is too tall to really cover, but I want to put some sort of roof to catch any hail that may come in. I will still put some clear plastic around it to stop any cross breezes but the roof will be quite a bit above this surround of plastic. As they start to trunk coconuts get stronger. Mine is at trunking stage.

Now to fertilising. Obviously through winter when it is allowed to dry out you won't be fertilising. As you have only about 7 or 8 months to feed the plant up, it has to coast through winter on it's reserves. I feed mine up depending on the heat of the weather. Coconuts can be hungry little things and I give mine handfuls of NPK and trace elements every 2 or 3 weeks in the height of summer. Also they love regular seaweed and fish emulsion applications. If you can keep them well fed and healthy you're more likely to succeed. Also when you plant it out, make sure you do it early in the warm season to get it well established before cold weather, maybe Oct, early Nov. What you do have over me is more consistent summer rainfall and humidity which they love. 26C-28C is the ideal temp to grow coconuts and for them to photosynthesize efficiently. At 15C they don't photosynthesize at all regardless of light level. 20C is the safe minimum day average temp to aim for. Below this the palm shuts down quickly.

Hope this helps. All the best with your coconut endeavours. I can totally relate. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sydney still has a winter peak of rainfall at 130mm in June though, but the variance between summer and winter is nothing like the variance in Perth on the west coast which is strongly Mediterranean.

Hi Tyrone,

This might be true of the coastal fringe, but most of the Sydney basin is wettest in summer.

Also, the seasons are highly variable here. We can get heavy rain in September, the driest month, if a mid-latitude low parks itself off the coast at this time.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Hi Tyrone,

This might be true of the coastal fringe, but most of the Sydney basin is wettest in summer.

Also, the seasons are highly variable here. We can get heavy rain in September, the driest month, if a mid-latitude low parks itself off the coast at this time.

I took my info from the Sydney Observatory Hill site which has been reporting since the 1880's. I'd imagine rainfall and temps would vary across Sydney which is a big place. Mediterranean climates are normally typified by winter rainfall peaks, but even if it did peak in June, I wouldn't call it Mediterranean as it doesn't vary much across the year. I wouldn't be surprised if most parts of Sydney gets summer rainfall peaks. In that case Sydney is definitely not Mediterranean.

I think in Oz, only Perth and Adelaide are technically Mediterranean.

Best regards

Tyrone

When I lived in Sydney, there was a coconut growing in my suburb in somebody's front yard. It lasted 3 years, and was about 8ft tall, but a cooler winter must have done it in. I think in a protected microclimate near the beach, with no southerly or westerly winds would be good, and definitely would have to be planted in pure sand that was warmed by the sun all day. Heat (or lack of) has always been an issue with growing tropical palms in Sydney. If there is major damage by a cold winter, usually, the summer is not long enough or warm enough for them to completely recover, and they just decline, and eventually die. Soil temperature is a big factor too, and this is usually pretty cool for most of the year in Sydney. I tried coconuts many times, but didn't have a warm enough microclimate for them to survive...it was far from ideal though and there are many warmer areas in Sydney that would yield better results.

If you are in a warm suburb it is worth planting a few...you never know, one may just survive!

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow Tyrone :mrlooney: that was a thorough explanation of how to grow coconut in Sydney's climate. Also Daryl's input. I am impressed that nucifera can do OK at 34 latitude. The data Jim provided encourages me to consider a coconut but I think it would look like vietchia [ugly half the year :lol: In the favored micro-climates in LA, winter maximum may support the most magnificent palm.

Sydney

January: 26\ 19.1

February: 26.2\ 19.2

March: 25.2\ 17.7

April: 23.2\ 15.2

May: 20.2\ 12

June: 17.5\ 9.6

July: 17.1\ 8.3

August: 18.2\ 9.3

September: 20.3\ 11.5

October: 22.2\ 14.1

November: 23.7\ 16

December: 25.5\ 18.1

Inland Los Angeles

January: 20.5\ 10

February: 21.1\ 10.5

March: 22.2\ 11.6

April: 25\ 13.8

May: 25.5\ 14.4

June: 28.3\ 17.7

July: 31.1\ 18.3

August: 31.6\ 18.8

September: 30.5\ 18.8

October: 28.3\ 17.2

November: 23.3\ 12.2

December: 21.1\ 10

Rain falls between November to March w/ yearly total near 45.7.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I know this is a bit off the topic, but I've always felt that the rainfall figures for Sydney are a bit misleading regarding day-to-day weather.

The first half of the year looks a lot wetter if you go by averages, but we tend to get more settled weather in Autumn than in Spring. It's just that East Coast Lows are more common in Autumn, so a few days heavy rainfall does a lot to boost the averages from March to June.

Spring is frequently cloudy, windy and changeable, but the actual rain resulting is low in volume.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

A coconut that i saw growing at Foster is the most southerly grown one that i have seen growing well!(mind you it was facing north and up against abrick wall).Hope this info helps and good luck!...cheers Mike Green(NEWCAL)

• Upvote 1

Mike,it used to be and hopefully still is at the KFC takeaway at Foster.It's been afew years since i was last there,maybe it's died or moved or maybe it got too big and was cut down? Who Knows? Next time you're in Foster you can verify this for me,thanks ....Mike Green (NEWCAL)

If they can't grow them in the Botanical Gardens down by the harbour I don't think any where else in Sydney has much of a chance. Re the coconut in Forster (not Foster) the biggest and best Bismarckia I've ever seen lives in Tuncurry (just across the bridge) in a street near the bowling club. Unbelievable specimen.

Which street was KFC Foster in?, I will look on Google Earth.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Wow Tyrone :mrlooney: that was a thorough explanation of how to grow coconut in Sydney's climate. Also Daryl's input. I am impressed that nucifera can do OK at 34 latitude. The data Jim provided encourages me to consider a coconut but I think it would look like vietchia [ugly half the year :lol: In the favored micro-climates in LA, winter maximum may support the most magnificent palm.

Sydney

January: 26\ 19.1

February: 26.2\ 19.2

March: 25.2\ 17.7

April: 23.2\ 15.2

May: 20.2\ 12

June: 17.5\ 9.6

July: 17.1\ 8.3

August: 18.2\ 9.3

September: 20.3\ 11.5

October: 22.2\ 14.1

November: 23.7\ 16

December: 25.5\ 18.1

Inland Los Angeles

January: 20.5\ 10

February: 21.1\ 10.5

March: 22.2\ 11.6

April: 25\ 13.8

May: 25.5\ 14.4

June: 28.3\ 17.7

July: 31.1\ 18.3

August: 31.6\ 18.8

September: 30.5\ 18.8

October: 28.3\ 17.2

November: 23.3\ 12.2

December: 21.1\ 10

Rain falls between November to March w/ yearly total near 45.7.

Happ, if they're your weather figures I'd be trying a coconut for sure. They're warmer winter figures than my place, but the rest of the year looks similar. You get lower winter rainfall which is an advantage for you as well.

Best regards

Tyrone

Orlando Florida has similar temps to Sydney. Sydney winter low 8 degrees Celcius, Orlando winter low 10 degrees celcius.

But Orlando's Winter high is in the 20s Celsius, 22-25C (72-77F). This make a huge difference.

Sydney and Central Coast (where I live) get up to about 23 degrees celcius in winter too.

CoconutFreak.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

The current confirmed greatest latitude Coconut Palms are located at Port Elizabeth, South Africa at Latitude 33 degrees South 59 Minutes or almost exactly 34 Degrees. My recollection is that a warm current exists nearby that enhances the temperature range.You may want to compare that climate to get a better idea.

My belief is to stretch those zones. No guts, no glory!Do it!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

I think it would look like vietchia [ugly half the year

Speak for yourself, Mr. Happ :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Mike,it used to be and hopefully still is at the KFC takeaway at Foster.It's been afew years since i was last there,maybe it's died or moved or maybe it got too big and was cut down? Who Knows? Next time you're in Foster you can verify this for me,thanks ....Mike Green (NEWCAL)

Will do, thanks

Mike

Sydney and Central Coast (where I live) get up to about 23 degrees celcius in winter too.

Yes, but you don't average that. Here in Perth we can get the odd winter day of 25,26C but it's rare. Though 23C in winter does happen here it's definitely not common. You won't get 23C every week for example. It's the average heating days that count for the coconut as well as not too low minimums.

I think you're in with a chance with a coconut in Sydney, but you'll need to work for it. :)

Best regards

Tyrone