IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto cold damage

Jono Miller

In the wake of the early 2010 winter, I'm looking for information and photographs of cold damaged cabbage palms. In particular, I'm interested in 1) the fate of palms that had been burdened with snow loads, 2) symptoms of cold damage in mature palms, and 3) symptoms of damage in seedling and juvenile palms. Photographs combined with location information and what is known about the tree (transplanted or grown in place) would be especially helpful.

I may be retracing paths others have trod, but I'm trying to understand the original distribution of Sabal palmetto in the Southeast before they were extensively relocated. It seems obvious that mature Sabal palms can survive way beyond their historic range. In light of both the survival of the transplanted adults and the germination of seedlings, it begs the question of why cabbage palms weren't found more extensively throughout the Southeast, where they apparently were never found more than 60 mies from the coast.

One possibility is that, while mature palms can tolerate significant cold, they would never have the opportunity if seedlings and juveniles succumbed for any reason. One reason could be cold.

Yes, you are on to something. While mature Sabal palms are quite hardy, seedlings can very easily succumb to the cold. For this reason, they aren't found wild naturally as far north as they can grow in cultivation.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 6 years later...
On 3/1/2010, 10:52:52, Jono Miller said:

In the wake of the early 2010 winter, I'm looking for information and photographs of cold damaged cabbage palms. In particular, I'm interested in 1) the fate of palms that had been burdened with snow loads, 2) symptoms of cold damage in mature palms, and 3) symptoms of damage in seedling and juvenile palms. Photographs combined with location information and what is known about the tree (transplanted or grown in place) would be especially helpful.

I may be retracing paths others have trod, but I'm trying to understand the original distribution of Sabal palmetto in the Southeast before they were extensively relocated. It seems obvious that mature Sabal palms can survive way beyond their historic range. In light of both the survival of the transplanted adults and the germination of seedlings, it begs the question of why cabbage palms weren't found more extensively throughout the Southeast, where they apparently were never found more than 60 mies from the coast.

One possibility is that, while mature palms can tolerate significant cold, they would never have the opportunity if seedlings and juveniles succumbed for any reason. One reason could be cold.

Old, mature sabal palmetto in Carlsbad, NM died in 2011. They had been there since at least the early 90s and a few had 10-15' of clear wooded trunk. I believe the city dropped to -2f if i rember correctly and filifera were the only palms that survived in that city. 

• 5 years later...

Report from 2021/2022 Vancouver Island freeze (late enough now that any delayed damage / spear pull would have showed up).  -8.3C was the ultimate low with 3 consecutive days failing to crack 0C. Lots of heavy, wet coastal snow fell before the deep freeze, which may have helped (insulation on the spear / on the fronds).

Sabal palmetto sailed through the freeze with 0 damage. I'm actually surprised how good it looks, since its mid-May and its yet to really warm up to Sabal temperatures. Its actually noticeably growing (albeit very slowly) even though we haven't cracked 20C even once this year yet. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

• 3 months later...

2022 - 5 foot palm with trunk still underground. 12F with 30-50% frond damage

5D3_8936.JPG

palmetto around 4:55 mark

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F