IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post Tour 2010

Palmagrantit

Does anyone have additional information about the post tour? No one has returned my inquiries regarding payment. Is the tour full?

Grant L Stephenson
PO.Box 569

Spicewood, Texas 78669
Phone 713-665-Palm (7256)
Toll Free (800) 460-Palm (7256)
Email: gls@hciglobal.com
Web Site: www.hciglobal.com
Llat: 30.564662',Llong: 098.321335'

Member of The International Palm Society

WWW.Palms.org

Grant,

I registered successfully in early December. Later, I sent someone this info:

"I went to the (long) email address provided in the biennial supplement, which is a subsite of the Jardim Botancio Plantarum site, and you purchase a reservation as if it were an item in the "shopping cart". Later I got a confirmation message from Harri Lorenzi. The instructions given at this email address are helpful, but not complete, and some inspired guesswork is still needed. Don't be afraid to hit the "back" button if something leads to a dead end. I'll repeat the address:

http://www.plantarum.org.br/jdbotanico/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&catid=29

Good luck!"

Later, this individual emailed to Hari Lorenzi for his personal confirmation, but I don't have his email address.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Grant,

I registered successfully in early December. Later, I sent someone this info:

"I went to the (long) email address provided in the biennial supplement, which is a subsite of the Jardim Botancio Plantarum site, and you purchase a reservation as if it were an item in the "shopping cart". Later I got a confirmation message from Harri Lorenzi. The instructions given at this email address are helpful, but not complete, and some inspired guesswork is still needed. Don't be afraid to hit the "back" button if something leads to a dead end. I'll repeat the address:

http://www.plantarum...&id=92&catid=29

Good luck!"

Later, this individual emailed to Hari Lorenzi for his personal confirmation, but I don't have his email address.

Thank you Mike I'll give it another try!

Grant L Stephenson
PO.Box 569

Spicewood, Texas 78669
Phone 713-665-Palm (7256)
Toll Free (800) 460-Palm (7256)
Email: gls@hciglobal.com
Web Site: www.hciglobal.com
Llat: 30.564662',Llong: 098.321335'

Member of The International Palm Society

WWW.Palms.org

• 3 weeks later...

I've just watched a nice show on cable TV about the Inhotim Museum and Botanical Gardens in Minas Gerais state, scheduled for a day long visit during the post tour. The program is mainly focused on Contemporary Art, showing some of the exhibits but it also gives an idea of the gardens and plants collection around the installments (?). In the interview, the Botanic Curator of the park mentions that they already have some 400 species of palms planted in the garden, and another 500 species will soon be added and shown in a new Palm pavillion...their goal is to host the biggest palm collection in the world in the next years. I know they have bought the biggest part of the Luiz Sérgio palm collection from Amazonic species and transplanted most of the adult palms from Pará state. maybe they'll let the participants take a preview of this pavillion, not open to the general public yet...

For those who will be visiting the Museum, the two parts (20 minutes each) show gives a good idea of the Garden's Project, which had the initial outlines started by Burle Marx right before his death. (sorry it's in Portuguese)

Inhotim part one

Inhotim part 2

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Thank you, Gileno, for additonal information about the post tour. My husband and I will be joining the group. We look forward to meeting you.

I have heard that the post tour is full. Can you confirm that.

Palm Student

Suzanne Rowlands

Thank you, Gileno, for additonal information about the post tour. My husband and I will be joining the group. We look forward to meeting you.

I have heard that the post tour is full. Can you confirm that.

Palm Student

Hi Suzanne, we're looking forward to meeting you too, especially during this post tour. Sice my wife and I have already visited most of the attractions in Rio, the post tour will be the real adventure for us during this biennial.

I'm not sure about the reservations being closed down. I've heard that it was almost full in December so I believe they're sold out by now but it's better to e-mail Harri Lorenzi directly at his Plantarum website. I guess he decided to limit the group to a single bus and only a few seats were available when we booked the tour a few months ago.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers