IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought tolerant palms

LauraAnu

What do you guys think is the most attractive drought tolerant palm? I am looking for ideas to plant in a particular area in my yard that is fairly dry. I am looking for about two species and they must be something I am not currently growing or have on my to buy list. Any thoughts?

I presently have or on my to buy list(which I think are drought tolerant):

Coccothrinax argentata

Coccothrinax crinta

Pseudophoenix sargentii

Pseudophoenix vinnifera

Phoenix dactylifera

serena repoens

dypsis decaryii

syagrus coronata

Laura

Laura,most of the palms I grow at the beach are drought tolerant.All need to be watered well to get them established.

Thrinax radiata is great,Dypsis madagascariensis,Lantanias,Livistona decora,L.nitida,Copernicias,Cocothrinax.

I have posted these pictures before but here are a few. Look up my other posts.I find that even palms not considered drought tolerant do well when planted in shade out of the wind,like Rhapis.Caryota mitis was my biggest surprise,it does great at the beach.

post-175-12668513626953_thumb.jpg

post-175-12668514415502_thumb.jpg

post-175-12668515421375_thumb.jpg

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thanks for that info Scott. I am just a few miles from the beach so this helps. I do have some thrinax radita and lantanias growing here. I will have to look into the livingstonia nitida and decora along with some copernicia. I have a small seedling of copernicia hospita that was given to me but man that thing is slow :( . It has had the same two leaves for the longest while and I have not seen any additional growth.

Wher I am, I don't have much shade and the plants are exposed to the wind so that will probably rule out some species for a few years until all ny other plants grow in.

Laura

My top choice, Copernicia fallaense

In the first photo, they are the 2 smaller specimens growing under C. baileyana. They will grow up to look similar but with silver blue leaves instead of green.

copbail.jpg

6e5f.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a