IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aloe dichotoma

George Sparkman

Since it is growing season for A.dichotoma I figured it would be good to see some pictures

of plants grown by other PalmTalk people.

I planted this one in March of 08 with 4 heads.

It has never been watered other then getting rained on.

It now has 16 heads and has really gotten fat.

a.dichotoma.jpg

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Upvote 2

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

That is a cool looking plant. You don't have anything for scale there so I'm guessing 6 feet tall or better? How easy are they to propagate?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I'm pretty sure I've posted a pic of mine on here before. Here's a photo of my big one that I took abour 3-4 years ago. It still looks pretty much the same except maybe the existing branches are a little longer. Mine has been blooming every Fall for 7 or 8 years now. The diameter of the base is probably around 20 inches. It was first planted out about 20 years ago and was maybe two feet tall at the time with a 3-4" diameter stem and grew fast and vigorously the first 10 yearsf...then it slowed down. I basically never water it and just let it do its thing. I also have a little Aloe pillansii that's maybe 20-22 inches tall. It grows alot slower but looks fairly healthy. It's been in the ground for about four years now. Because of where it's situated, it gets a little accidental water every now and then in the Summer but that's it besides the winter rains. I had an Aloe ramossissimum that was growing quite fast on my steep hillside but about 2-3 years ago one winter it sucked up so much moisture that it fell over and split apart. I was able to root some of the pieces in other parts of the yard but they are still small.

post-81-12663941739893_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm definitely envious of how well grown these plants are in the photos! This species is much touchier about growing conditions here in northern California, as our normal winter rainfall amounts can easily rot them out, and they require extreme soil amendment measures and proper siting to keep them growing well, plus we can be marginally a bit too cold in winter for them. Much easier here as a container grown plant protected from winter rains and cold against a south/west facing wall to maximize heat gain and keep them a bit drier in winter. They are stunning plants down south!

Don't worry, they are a tough grow down here in Socal also as-they will rot very easily here as well. No water other than rainfall.

San Fernando Valley, California

I had one that was 15 feet tall in my garden. Last winter it rotted out. Still bummed about that one. Once it starts to rot, there is not anything you can do.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, if it rots in California what would it do in Florida? Anyone grow one like these over here?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Here are shots of mine. Still tiny and and hasn't branched yet.

post-1017-12664732189079_thumb.jpg

The bigger Aloe in teh back is Aloe Excelsa.

post-1017-12664732256419_thumb.jpg

It probably suicide trying to grow theme here in the tropics becuase of the humidity and the long monsoon season. My only guage is that Aloe Vera does OK over here.

But this one has done ok so far.

This one will probably stay in the pot forever. Aloe Bonsai I guess

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Jerry & Gene,

it is true that without very good drainage they have rotting problems

but strangely enough I grow them in pots (in pure DG - decomposed granite) at the nursery

where they get watered every week all year long just like the palms and all other plants (incl. all chemicals)and

I have never lost one.

So in my opimion it is all about the drainage and not that they can't handle water.

It is the same for me with Aloe ramosissima & Aloe Pillansii.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

That's reassuring.

I have several so I will experiment with them during the rainy season.

Except for Aloe Vera I dont see many aloes here in my country. I haven't seen any large specimen plants and it could be one of 2 things--other varietes have never been available before or they have been but just never survive long enough to get big.

I'm hoping for the former rather than the latter.

These are such amazing plants and look really good grown with palms.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Hmmmm lovely pic all!

There is no way this Aloe will grow here in the sub-tropics (without extreme measures), would love to have one though.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

That is a beauty George, what kind of cold tolerance do these have?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Wow, if it rots in California what would it do in Florida? Anyone grow one like these over here?

Aloe bainesii does well in SoFla rainfall if drainage is fast.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Matt,the one pictured and a bunch of others (a bit smaller)

saw 26f for 6+hrs and below 32f for 12+hrs in Jan07 with absolutely no damage (or blems).

Fastfeat,since Aloe barberae (bainesii) is a thirsty summer grower

I would expect it do well providing it does have good drainage as you pointed out

(kind of what SA cycads need in South Florida to flourish).

I don't think Aloe dichotoma or Aloe pillansii would do well in the ground in South Florida.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Got down to 25F in my yard (San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles county) a few years ago for a long time (over 7 hours) and all my Aloe dichotomas were burned, but not badly... just along the leaf margins. All are trunking, but only about 3'-5' tall. None are flowering age yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The plant in post #1 has flowered twice since planting in 08.

At first I was very concerned that it might be a stress bloom but it went thru the cycle with no problems.

When it flowered in 09 I crossed it with A.plicatilis since I already had many "Hercules" crosses.

Hopefully the crosses will turn out to have an A.dichotoma trunk with a wild head of A.plicatilis.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 2 years later...

Bump!!!

How'd those A. d x p come out George?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It probably suicide trying to grow theme here in the tropics becuase of the humidity and the long monsoon season. My only guage is that Aloe Vera does OK over here.

But this one has done ok so far.

This one will probably stay in the pot forever. Aloe Bonsai I guess

If you ever have any extras then you might consider trying to grow them epiphytically. If you scroll down to the bottom of this thread you'll see a photo of a couple Aloes growing epiphytically.