IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaeopsis caffra - Pondoland Palm

FRITO

I have a nice size 7 gallon. I plan on taking with me to a warmer place so I can plant it in the ground.

What is the climate like in Pondoland South Africa?

Anyone have these in South Florida? What about the tropics?

Here is one in Foster Botanical garden in Hawaii zone 11. I guess it grows fine, or is that the Hawaiian Gods keeping it alive?

palmbob_1086648599_769.jpg

Does this Hybridize with other cocoid Palms? Like Queens or Butia? Anyone ever tried this cross? :drool:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Hi, Luke:

Jubaeopsis has a phenomenal number of chromosomes. A cytogeneticist at the UF suggested that it was even possible that Jubaeopsis was an aggregation of clones, which basically multiplied asexually. There have been attempts [all unsuccessful apparently] to hybridize Jubaeopsis

Best Wishes,

merrill

Edited by merrill
  • Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

Dang, Luke, looks like them Hawaiians're being bad sports about their bandwidth! Whatever happened to Mi bandwidth e su bandwidth!?

Here's a pic of one in Pauleen Sullivan's place in Ventura:

palmbob_1062223743_215.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

All I see is unauthorized access signs. No pics. What the hell is happening?????????????? :rant::bemused:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dang, Luke, looks like them Hawaiians're being bad sports about their bandwidth! Whatever happened to Mi bandwidth e su bandwidth!?

Here's a pic of one in Pauleen Sullivan's place in Ventura:

palmbob_1062223743_215.jpg

This can't be good.

I have a nice size 7 gallon. I plan on taking with me to a warmer place so I can plant it in the ground.

What is the climate like in Pondoland South Africa?

Anyone have these in South Florida? What about the tropics?

Here is one in Foster Botanical garden in Hawaii zone 11. I guess it grows fine, or is that the Hawaiian Gods keeping it alive?

palmbob_1086648599_769.jpg

Does this Hybridize with other cocoid Palms? Like Queens or Butia? Anyone ever tried this cross? :drool:

Frito,

Ive been interested in this species recently. Looking at the R.Rifle book, it says this palm prefers a more Mediterranean climate to a tropical one. But if they are growing good in Hawaii I'd imagine they would grow good near Miami. Hopefully Jeff chimes in on this one. On the other hand, I've seen pictures of Dypsis baronii doing really well in HI yet I've heard baronii grow poorly in the hotter parts of FL. Maybe it is the Hawaiian gods.

Can you post a pic of your 7gal.?

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

I don't know about SoFL but they will grow in central and north FL. I beleive Ed still has one in Jacksonville and there used to be a nice clump at Kopsick in St. Petersburg until ganoderma killed it. We have a young one out here and a couple more to plant.

Here was the Kopsick specimen, growing at the base of several Cocos

6cf9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

All of the nice, well grown Jubaeopsis I've seen are growing in S. Calif. They do like a warm Med. climate. They struggle in N. Calif. where it's to cool, and S. Fla where it's to hot, but not to say they can't be grown there. The one, now diseased, growing at Kopsick was the nicest one I've seen in Florida. I think St Peat got just enough cool to keep it happy. To bad ganoderma got to it and killed it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thanks everyoen for the comments, I forgot about the one at Kopsick in St. Pete. It's a shame its gone now.

Daves Garden has photo issues. Dave, it's not the Hawaiians , its Daves Garden website! Maybe I can provide the link since I can't imbed the Image! Hawaiian Pondoland Palm

Vince, I lost my digital cam in the creek, I will have to find a new one before I can post pics.

Luke

63" rain annually

Here's a pic of specimens in habitat.

Hopefully no bitchery this time.

jubaeopsis_caffra_inhabitat.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have this palm growing in my backyard, slow but happy. Not the same climate as SE FL, but it is SW FL.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I saw some growig in Durban --- which is pretty tropical ----- theres a large one in Port Elizabeth which aint tropical ------ It might be some Florida diseases that are decisive in its survival ---- I have mine all covered up so I cant really shoot a photo----definitely zone 10 --- I have no illusions about its survival up this far norht but I have kept it alive for a dozen years or so --- up against the house.

Best regards

Ed

• Like 1

bradford get a pic of the HUGE jubeopsis at the catamaran for this thread!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

eyey catman

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

There is another nice one at the Hyatt or Marriot Newporter, or what ever the hotel is. We had a biennial there once. Someone get a pic of that one. There are a lot of nice palms on the hotel grounds.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I was at the Catamaran today for a work related activity (WRA), which I quickly parlayed into a Palm Related Activity (PRA).

Here's some of the hugemongusoidalicious Jubeopsis caffra.

post-126-12660187214741_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187325898_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187454842_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187531969_thumb.jpg

post-126-1266018763597_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187747086_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187861609_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660187971925_thumb.jpg

post-126-12660188069375_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The one at Kopsick is gone? I can't believe it. I saw the palm less than a year ago and it looked fine. It was flowering not that long ago. What a tragedy.

Rob Pittman

www.aqualityplant.com

There is another nice one at the Hyatt or Marriot Newporter, or what ever the hotel is. We had a biennial there once. Someone get a pic of that one. There are a lot of nice palms on the hotel grounds.

Dick

Hi Dick,

It's the Hyatt Regency now. Here are a couple photos from about a year ago.

post-1839-12660259969358_thumb.jpgpost-1839-12660260299837_thumb.jpg

Then here's another of the Catamaran Jubaeopsis, Night Shot.

post-1839-12660262186106_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Perry, that is an AWESOME shot of the one at the Catamaran and shows well why it is my favorite. I LOVE the way the trunks are detailed.

Here is the OTHER big boy in So Cal from over a year ago. Its the one at the Beverly Hills Hilton, same place they hold the Golden Globes. But in this pic it shows Kim, avb and Palmgrover... :P

post-27-12660470954046_thumb.jpg

This is also only part of the palm. It has a back side and also "others".

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I have a small Jubaeopsis about 4' high that was planted in the summer of 2006, just before the cold winter of '07. I protected it that cold winter with a sheet thrown over a frame and a couple of 100w lights with reflectors. Since then it has been on its own. There are some taller plants around it which give it some protection, but it has taken down to at least 25F with no damage, but probably no frost on the fronds. Mine doesn't get enough sun and it only grows about 1 and 1/2 fronds a year. I expect they would grow in Oakland or Berkeley, but maybe a little to cool for them in San Francisco. I'm surprised there aren't more growing in S. Calif.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sounds to me like no one knows the limits of this palms cold-hardiness. If one is growing in Jacksonville then it probably would have experienced 9a temps. Doesn't South Africa get pretty cold?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

A quick search shows Jungle Music has some for sale.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I sold/donated one at our last palm society auction.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I found mine at the S. Florida palm sale at Fairchild. I was leaving the sale and saw it sitting in the middle of a path. I suspect someone had pulled it out from the sales area and then reconsidered when they saw the price tag. I scooped that baby up so fast there was a whoosh of fronds. I think I paid $150 for it and then another $150 for shipping it by Fed X by air. I had been looking for one for years and was really surprised to find one in Florida. It was a perfectly grown plant in a 3 gal pot. It was root bound, so I moved it to a larger container when it got to Calif. I kept it in the pot for several years and would move it under overhead protection in the winter. It grew much faster for me in the container, but I could move it around to get maximum sun in the winter and then under lathe in the summer.

I finally planted it, but the growth slowed down in my cool clay soil, and it doesn't get enough sun where it is now. I knew if I planted it in the open that it probably wouldn't survive my cold winters.

Dick

Richard Douglas

You guys in SoCal are just so proud of yourselves growing J. caffer. Anything to convince yourselves that you can actually have something that looks like a "Real" coconut. BTW, Jubaeopsis and Cocos nucifera both grow in South Texas.

You guys in SoCal are just so proud of yourselves growing J. caffer. Anything to convince yourselves that you can actually have something that looks like a "Real" coconut. BTW, Jubaeopsis and Cocos nucifera both grow in South Texas.

Yeah, you'll have a big Jubaeopsis in about..........never.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Impossible to find over here. I have 4 I germinated myself and they're at 4 leaf stage in pots at the moment sitting next to my coconut palm. They would have been getting well over 40C in there this summer and loving it. The only other person I know of with these in West Oz is the friend of mine that got the other ones I germinated. My ones will go into my future front courtyard, along with my other coconut look alikes and of course my Golden Dwarf Malay.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

And in Florida we grow coconuts to convince ourselves that we can grow something that looks like a Jubaeopsis :lol:

• Upvote 2

And in Florida we grow coconuts to convince ourselves that we can grow something that looks like a Jubaeopsis

Cummon Alex! - nothing better than sitting in your back yard, overlooking a coconut with your dinner guests, and saying - yah - we live in paradise! - not so for the guys in Socal who have to look at a 2 ft, 3 leaf shrub and say - "maybe in 75 or 100 years this thing will actually look like a coconut tree - or 3 beside each other."

Hey, I've got a rather small Jubaeopsis caffra growing here in a triangle shared with 2-Cocos nucifera. Problem is it is planted a bit too close to the Cocos and there is some serious root competiton with the agressive roots of the two Cocos close by, plus Monstera and other shrubs. Here's a pic of it.

post-90-12661971661538_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Yeah, you'll have a big Jubaeopsis in about..........never.

:floor:

And in Florida we grow coconuts to convince ourselves that we can grow something that looks like a Jubaeopsis

Cummon Alex! - nothing better than sitting in your back yard, overlooking a coconut with your dinner guests, and saying - yah - we live in paradise! - not so for the guys in Socal who have to look at a 2 ft, 3 leaf shrub and say - "maybe in 75 or 100 years this thing will actually look like a coconut tree - or 3 beside each other."

and around here we have to grow queen and mule palms since Cocos and Jubaeopsis are borderline ! Well now it appears Beccariophoenix will also make a good substitute in our climate.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Cococonuts may not grow in Cali, but they are as common as dirt in many places. Jubeopsis is truely a rare gem. That's the where the fascination for this palm comes from.

Edited by freakypalmguy

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Cococonuts may not grow in Cali, but they are as common as dirt in many places. Jubeopsis is truely a rare gem. That's the where the fascination for this palm comes from.

Alex????????????You know here in S. California we consider Washingtonia robusta weeds.They are all over the place and reproduce like crazy. So it's no big deal to see them! I feel the same way about YOUR coconut trees where you live! Common as dirt and no big deal!!! Btw Washingtonia robusta is a very popular palm with the Texans and with the people in Florida too!

My 2 cents. Regards, Randy

test

Alex????????????You know here in S. California we consider Washingtonia robusta weeds.They are all over the place and reproduce like crazy. So it's no big deal to see them! I feel the same way about YOUR coconut trees where you live! Common as dirt and no big deal!!! Btw Washingtonia robusta is a very popular palm with the Texans and with the people in Florida too!

My 2 cents. Regards, Randy

Randy, I was actually just poking fun at Oliver's previous comment. Please see above. I think being able to see palms around is a big deal to begin with, being that I spent most of my life where they don't really grow.

Matty and Perry, thanks for sharing these great pics of mature specimens in S. California.

Can anyone collect pollen from these and distribute it to the hybridizers? IE; Patrick Schaffer, Mark Heath, FreakypalmGuy, Maybe Scott in Tampa's slutty Butia can Take some too? :blink:

Luke

63" rain annually

Matty and Perry, thanks for sharing these great pics of mature specimens in S. California.

So what am I and my picture of the other one, chopped liver? :blink: