Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Areca catechu

12 posts in this topic

Two weeks after cold:

P1020507.jpg

Not too bad looking. Maybe a little beat up but I'm still shocked how well those palms grow in SoFla.

I think the baby at your office fared better than the ANSG specimen.

Once in a while I see these in Florida full of fruit but they need to be realy protected and still have lots of sun. The fruit sure tastes good! :mrlooney:

They are all over the place in Assam. People chew the nuts.

Alexander

Two weeks after cold:

P1020507.jpg

Temps down to 2 deg C and no worries here at 28 deg South. Theres local trees fruiting.

Temps down to 2 deg C and no worries here at 28 deg South. Theres local trees fruiting.

I've seen pictures of this palm growing in presumably cold locations on the edge of the tropics in Asia, such as southern China, northern India, etc. Is the palm hardier than commonly thought, or does it just rebound quickly? Or are the palms in these "marginal" areas a hardier strain?

I planted an 8 footer this past fall.  It was wrapped (trunk, crownshaft and foliage) in several layers about 5 times when temperatures below 40F were predicted.  The foliage looks currently looks rough, but the emerging spear looks nice and healthy, with no necrosis.  I think it will look impressive by the end of summer.  I am hoping to get 3 full open, undamaged leaves on it by November.  This is not a palm for anywhere in Central FL, except maybe Anna Maria Island, but I am enjoying pushing the limits to the extreme anyways.

I had 2 one about 10 ft the other about 15 ft both died in the 2009-10 winter in Sw FL.  They looked tatterd every other winter but recovered.

Here is my catechu, did well this winter, just a bit wind tattered.

20160508_144440.thumb.jpg.07675109e50c46