IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM UPGRADE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

PALM MOD

Kathryn,

I have no idea how to answer. I don't know what browser you are using, what OS you are using (with versions), what your screen resolution is, or what skin you are using.

Offhand, it sounds like a low screen resolution issue...

I have 20" wide screen and it takes less then a third of a width.

More on logo size, font size, etc. --- for anyone interested --- and to maybe explain why I can't account for, or explain and help, when someone doesn't give me specifics of their set up. These differences in appearance are not so much a function of screen size (but of course a wider screen format will make a difference), but are mostly a function of screen (monitor) resolution.

In Kathryn's situation, I can only guess that she is using an older computer with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. And she is still using the new skin.

Pivi's resolution is higher. And mine, even though it is a 17" laptop is possibly a little higher still. My resolution is 1680 x 1050

Below are two examples. The first is the old 1024 x 768 standard resolution with the new skin. The second is my laptop (1680 x 1050) with the Classic Blue skin.

Dear Mod :)

Thanks for the explination,but i must say here one thing we all use our computer for work,web borrowseing,accounting purpose and some may use for games,and for typing word based document.And most are using only 1024x768.

I accept that times are changing but i doubt along with progress are all our members moving forward,i donot know...if all have hi end computer and hi res wide screen moniters or LCDs to view the net.And most of the internet sites have a standard set of fonts & screen resolution.If i or any member just alters the basic resoluton(i.e the default values) i think palmtalk will appear okay but other sites will appear bit wiered.And even i use 17inches 4:3 ratio and not wide screen.i think all sites appear okay but palmtalk is very different now.And like Pivi & Kate has said the palmtalk logo covers half the top screen area,and its appearing as though its shouting out loud.

And i cannot change the the resolution of my screen,since i do accounting in my Pc,change in font size or resolution virtually makes working on those software impossible.It was perfectly okay with the old version.So iam using the classis blue version at the moment and iam happy with it.

So i request that our site be tweaked to 1024 res. for the benefit of all our members.And there are some version of windows which asks for restart if the fonts or resolutions are changed.

And most users here even have difficulty to upload stills from their camera into the Pc and then upload it.So if they are to change the resolution & font size on daily basis to view our site,it could be very tedious..

And iam using Win Xp and have no intention to change my Pc(pentium D)or its software,and use firefox for net,as they are working without any hassel.

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I have 20" wide screen and it takes less then a third of a width.

More on logo size, font size, etc. --- for anyone interested --- and to maybe explain why I can't account for, or explain and help, when someone doesn't give me specifics of their set up. These differences in appearance are not so much a function of screen size (but of course a wider screen format will make a difference), but are mostly a function of screen (monitor) resolution.

In Kathryn's situation, I can only guess that she is using an older computer with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. And she is still using the new skin.

Pivi's resolution is higher. And mine, even though it is a 17" laptop is possibly a little higher still. My resolution is 1680 x 1050

Below are two examples. The first is the old 1024 x 768 standard resolution with the new skin. The second is my laptop (1680 x 1050) with the Classic Blue skin.

Dear Mod :)

And most are using only 1024x768.

Kris,

As you can see in the file I have attached, only 20% of web surfers still use monitors with a resolution of 1024 x 768. Almost all of the remainder use resolutions greater than 1024 x 768. And if the present trend continues, only 10% or less will be using 1024 in a year. LATEST BROWSER DISPLAY STATISTICS

The highest figure I found for Jan 2010 was 28% still using 1024 x 768, and dropping rapidly.

Kris,

Since you are using Firefox, have you tried using CTRL/"+" and "-", (as we have discussed) to adjust the screen size of fonts and logo?

post-430-12649332165266_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

And like Pivi & Kate has said the palmtalk logo covers half the top screen area,and its appearing as though its shouting out loud.

I didn't say that. Everything is fine with me, everything's looking great. Logo, fonts...

I think minority will experience problem you experience. Maybe it's time to buy a new monitor? :)

Trust me, you'll like the change, viewing things on a large panel with high resolution.

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

For anyone else interested in stats:

90% of visitors to our site use Windows, 10% use Mac, Linux is .7%

66% of visitors to our site use IE, almost all the rest is a combination of FireFox, Chrome, and Safari.

Worldwide, IE's share is down to 62%.

And like Pivi & Kate has said the palmtalk logo covers half the top screen area,and its appearing as though its shouting out loud.

I didn't say that. Everything is fine with me, everything's looking great. Logo, fonts...

I think minority will experience problem you experience. Maybe it's time to buy a new monitor? :)

Trust me, you'll like the change, viewing things on a large panel with high resolution.

Dear Peter

Thanks for the clarification & suggestions...but i wish to stay with my CRT moniter since i have compared with plasma's & Lcd's monitors & Tv's the colours & the blacks have never been natural in that techonology.And feel their is lot of room for improvement in that field.And just to view one page or a site,one can't keep changing their monitors quite often. :hmm: And also most non IPS members upload their stills with 640x... resolution most of the time.

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Great! Now I'm on my father-in-laws computer and everything is HUGE! I don't think anyone would need glasses to read this screen. :lol:

I don't mind the huge PT logo or small or large font. I can deal with anything - especially on a beautiful day like today. Even though everything is huge right now, I don't have to scroll to see everything.

I like the new look of the tumbnail pictures. I use IE on my work computer and this one, and both work great with the right click to open pictures and links in another window.

How do you like my blue text?

Dear Peter

Thanks for the clarification & suggestions...but i wish to stay with my CRT moniter since i have compared with plasma's & Lcd's monitors & Tv's the colours & the blacks have never been natural in that techonology.And feel their is lot of room for improvement in that field.And just to view one page or a site,one can't keep changing their monitors quite often. :hmm: And also most non IPS members upload their stills with 640x... resolution most of the time.

Love,

kris.

Ok Kris.

If you wish to stay on old CRTs that's your own thing/right/opinion.

But as Dean said, minority today uses resolution of 1024*768 on their monitors. Majority uses higher resolution.

I personally stopped using 1024*768 resolution about 5 years ago. And i really think that for majority of forum members forum is looking great as it does for me.

You can always use ctrl (hold it) and +/- keys to make your web page appear smaller or larger.

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Great! Now I'm on my father-in-laws computer and everything is HUGE! I don't think anyone would need glasses to read this screen. :lol:

I don't mind the huge PT logo or small or large font. I can deal with anything - especially on a beautiful day like today. Even though everything is huge right now, I don't have to scroll to see everything.

I like the new look of the tumbnail pictures. I use IE on my work computer and this one, and both work great with the right click to open pictures and links in another window.

How do you like my blue text?

Kathryn,

Again, unless you let me know some info like screen resolution and browser/OS, I can't offer any advice. But for your benefit (if you are still using IE), and for anyone else wishing to change their font/logo size in IE, here is a very clear simple tutorial on how to do so. It sounds as if your father-in-law may have a low resolution monitor, or have IE set for one of the larger options. RESIZING FONTS IN INTERNET EXPLORER With all other browsers it is even easier, as discussed above more than once with CTRL/+ or -

It sounds as if your father-in-law may have a low resolution monitor

I think he just has bad eyes so it's set as large as it can go. :)

:D

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It sounds as if your father-in-law may have a low resolution monitor

I think he just has bad eyes so it's set as large as it can go. :)

I couldn't say that - I have to be diplomatic. :)

Is anyone else having problems with the pages loading slow? It's been doing it since yesterday. I click on a page or whatever, and it takes about 5-10 seconds for that page to come up. Nothing has changed here on my computer and all other internet is still fast. Any thoughts?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

i like the way the new messenger works.it was a bummer when you could only reply 5 times & then had to erase in the last version :rage:

i do get nervous with the new one,however,when i send a pm & it says "recipients" & i am talking SMACK about everyone. :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Dean, The new format is fantastic! I occasionally stalk over on www.crayfishmates.com and they use this same software so I am fairly familiar with it. Thank for taking the time to research upgrades and to implement it. I know this is no small undertaking. Thanks for your efforts to keep palmtalk updated and running smoothly.

• 1 month later...

Now that the new design, colors, seems to suit everyone, I get back with my request to have choice to display more than 40 threads in a single page, is it possible Mod ?

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Now that the new design, colors, seems to suit everyone, I get back with my request to have choice to display more than 40 threads in a single page, is it possible Mod ?

jean-bernard

Jean-

I suspect you are wanting more than 40 POSTS per page?

If so, that was arrived upon a while back because not everyone has fast internet service. (I know I was in that group) So if a thread is very photo heavy and had not been added too in some time, your slow internet would have to reload all your pictures just so you could see the last few updated posts/pics. But, by breaking it down a bit, you could go right to the end.

PLUS, for the people with fast internet, its the "hugely bothersome" trouble of clicking another button and waiting another 2 seconds! :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

We need a larger selection of emotioncons mrlooney.gif

Ron. rolleyes.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

jean-bernard

Jean-

I suspect you are wanting more than 40 POSTS per page?

If so, that was arrived upon a while back because not everyone has fast internet service. (I know I was in that group) So if a thread is very photo heavy and had not been added too in some time, your slow internet would have to reload all your pictures just so you could see the last few updated posts/pics. But, by breaking it down a bit, you could go right to the end.

PLUS, for the people with fast internet, its the "hugely bothersome" trouble of clicking another button and waiting another 2 seconds! :lol:

No not 40 posts per page as like you said it's a pain to load all the pic for read only one message like "thanks Mod" :D but the choice of 60 or 80 threads (topics) per page 'Number of topics to show for each forum page: 80) to not have to go six pages back like now. because I'm late

Moose I'm with you :mrlooney::rolleyes::blink::lol::):D

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

Unfortunately I can change the number of posts per page, but that becomes the default and the options (in your CP) does not change - the options only include up to and including 40, and not 50 or 60 or 70, even if changed - they only go up to 40 and then the default.

So if I change it to say 60, everyone is stuck with that change unless they opt to use a lower count. And also unfortunately, most members do not even know this option exists, so they would all be "stuck" with the defaults.

The emoticons require more work, and I may get to it one of these days.

Unfortunately I can change the number of posts per page, but that becomes the default and the options (in your CP) does not change - the options only include up to and including 40, and not 50 or 60 or 70, even if changed - they only go up to 40 and then the default.

So if I change it to say 60, everyone is stuck with that change unless they opt to use a lower count. And also unfortunately, most members do not even know this option exists, so they would all be "stuck" with the defaults.

Thanks for your reply don't change anything, I'll not perturb other members

for emoticons it's was a joke for me

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

• 2 months later...

Ask on Possibility to have more direct access pages, like this ?

thanks

post-0-1275384676138_thumb.jpg

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

I've been using the messenger service recently with group recipients and it's great! It's like your own private forum, and the left column shows you each recipient in the conversation and if they've read their message or not. This is very handy. The only downside is that you have to quote the last message in the conversation to see a copy of it when replying. It doesn't appear by default above your message text area.

I've been using the messenger service recently with group recipients and it's great! It's like your own private forum, and the left column shows you each recipient in the conversation and if they've read their message or not. This is very handy. The only downside is that you have to quote the last message in the conversation to see a copy of it when replying. It doesn't appear by default above your message text area.

Agreed

• 4 weeks later...

I find it ard to post now due to the emoticons getting in the wat of the text on the right. they cover up what you are typing making difficult to see what is on the right side of your text. you have click back inside of the text box when you are done to have it wrap correctly. Pain in the @$$.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

• 1 month later...

Probably monitor resolution, or browser setting. Try a higher resolution. And/or try another browser. My guess is you are both using older monitors and/or IE still.

• 1 month later...

Is the emoticons upgrade/additions being worked on? unsure.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B