IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM UPGRADE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

PALM MOD

DeanO,

Can you please change the setting that controls the following:

When you click on a link that someone puts into a thread, it dosen't open a new page, it instead just goes to that link, so when you "X" out of that link you completely get dropped from your internet session instead of just going back to palmtalk. Does that make sense? I think that same thing used to happen at palmpedia until you changed it.Thanks.

OK Matty,

I think that's a "go" now.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Palm Mod et al,

Just wanted to drop a word of encouragement for all of your kind and hard work! I really enjoy PalmTalk, I do not contribute much but I am on it daily. It is a huge resource and a comfort knowing I am not the only one who thinks of Palms all day.

Just a random idea I had - what about the ability for users to submit header graphics and the option to choose their favorite header graphic or have a random one display? Don't know where the idea came from... It would be cool if people made Palm Talk headers of their own gardens and palms in habitat.

Thank you again for all of your gracious hard work!

Best Regards,

Justin Parkkonen

DeanO,

When you click on a link that someone puts into a thread, it dosen't open a new page, it instead just goes to that link, so when you "X" out of that link you completely get dropped from your internet session instead of just going back to palmtalk. Does that make sense? I think that same thing used to happen at palmpedia until you changed it.Thanks.

OK Matty,

OOPS!

Not so fast. It appears as if I have it so links that are in a signature open a new window, but links in a post still aren't doing that. Back to the drawing board.

Palm Mod et al,

Just wanted to drop a word of encouragement for all of your kind and hard work! I really enjoy PalmTalk, I do not contribute much but I am on it daily. It is a huge resource and a comfort knowing I am not the only one who thinks of Palms all day.

Just a random idea I had - what about the ability for users to submit header graphics and the option to choose their favorite header graphic or have a random one display? Don't know where the idea came from... It would be cool if people made Palm Talk headers of their own gardens and palms in habitat.

Thank you again for all of your gracious hard work!

Best Regards,

Justin Parkkonen

Justin,

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. Unfortunately it isn't an option. While it would be possible to customize the header with all kinds of flashy stuff, and have a banner that scrolled through different graphics or photos, it could not be customized for individual use. And the time and effort to configure code for something like that, and to find photos and graphics good enough and sized properly for display in such a small space, would be considerable, and technically challenging. And once they have been seen once, who will look at them again? Compiling, resizing, and inserting new photos on a weekly basis is also not an option. Don't we have enough photos to look at already. :)

While we may use the header space for some other things, like IPS notices, advertising, or links to appropriate sites, eye candy alone is probably not in the cards. But I'm sure we may get some comments.

And thanks again for contributing.

I used to use the mode : sort by "topic started" or "topic starter" or some thing like that at the bottom right, in the old version, is there the same thing in this one ? (for not the thread go up)

edit :

when I delogge me, and come back a few time later, the posts I have read in my last session was mark as unread, eg: in this screen copy we can see that I have not read all the post in this thread, while I was the last writer

win200/firefox 3.0 ou win7/firefox 3.5

post-552-12645107553935_thumb.jpg

jean-bernard

The same today ,at now 12h25 the posts I red (all the new ones) when I was logged at about 9h30 (paris) are mark as unread now in my new session on the same computer, it seem to be only in the morning (paris) and not on afternoon/evening.

post-552-12645923718604_thumb.jpg

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

I used to use the mode : sort by "topic started" or "topic starter" or some thing like that at the bottom right, in the old version, is there the same thing in this one ? (for not the thread go up)

edit :

when I delogge me, and come back a few time later, the posts I have read in my last session was mark as unread, eg: in this screen copy we can see that I have not read all the post in this thread, while I was the last writer

jean-bernard

The same today ,at now 12h25 the posts I red (all the new ones) when I was logged at about 9h30 (paris) are mark as unread now in my new session on the same computer, it seem to be only in the morning (paris) and not on afternoon/evening.

jean-bernard

I'm not following you exactly, but when you "delog" yourself (log out???), you are also deleting all cookies. And I would assume without the cookies, the Forum could lose track of what you have read. I have noticed that at 12:00AM server time, things that relate to "recent posts" etc. is changed or reset. That's about all I can tell you.

edit :

jean-bernard

jean-bernard

I'm not following you exactly, but when you "delog" yourself (log out???), you are also deleting all cookies. And I would assume without the cookies, the Forum could lose track of what you have read. I have noticed that at 12:00AM server time, things that relate to "recent posts" etc. is changed or reset. That's about all I can tell you.

Yes it's true when I leave firefox all my cookies are deleted, and that's what I want, and that was the same with the old layout forum, but I had no problem.further it concern the posts read in the last session, not all the threads. I"ll try to manage it with the dates and times.

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

There's something about the new forum I don't like. Not sure really what it is. Too much on the screen perhaps, too much information. All those colours remind me of a paint sample chart.

I'm too old guess. Can we have a page for oldies ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

There's something about the new forum I don't like. Not sure really what it is. Too much on the screen perhaps, too much information. All those colours remind me of a paint sample chart.

I'm too old guess. Can we have a page for oldies ?

Sure Wal,

Read some of the posts/info from me about the New Forum. Just go back to the old theme (bottom left) and get rid of all that stuff on the right ("x" on top right) with the tips I've mentioned . Then it will look almost identical to what you were used to.

Sure Wal,

Read some of the posts/info from me about the New Forum. Just go back to the old theme (bottom left) and get rid of all that stuff on the right ("x" on top right) with the tips I've mentioned . Then it will look almost identical to what you were used to.

Excellent Dean, worked a treat, much better now.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sure Wal,

Excellent Dean, worked a treat, much better now.

No prob Wal. I feel for you old guys. You need all the help you can get. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Wal, as long as I'm older than you, you can't use the excuse "I'm too old"! :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I agree with Bruce, the default font size is too small, even with my glasses on.....

Font looks great on my 47" TV w/computer also hooked up :mrlooney:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

My first post of the New Year :rolleyes: Nice upgrade, Dean. Regarding font size, I prefer Arial 15.12px for main body text. Happy New Year, everyone.

When i lick onto a thread like discussing palmtrees I am automatically taken back to 2 weeks ago. the spanish thread works fine but it is dificult to even get to this message. I had to go to my profile, then posts, then reply.

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

When i lick onto a thread like discussing palmtrees I am automatically taken back to 2 weeks ago. the spanish thread works fine but it is dificult to even get to this message. I had to go to my profile, then posts, then reply.

You can click on the option to go to the last post in a thread under "Last Post Info"

DeanO,

OK Matty,

OOPS!

Not so fast. It appears as if I have it so links that are in a signature open a new window, but links in a post still aren't doing that. Back to the drawing board.

Well,

It is "fixed" going forward. But the links that were posted for the first couple of days will have to remain as is.

Links in threads might be opening new pages now,after the tweak.

However before when you opened thumbnail pics it also opened a new page,if there was more than 1 pic you could pull both and compare.

Now you have to use the back button to get back to the forum,so there is no way now to see multiple enlarged pics!

Edited by gsn
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Links in threads might be opening new pages now,after the tweak.

However before when you opened thumbnail pics it also opened a new page,if there was more than 1 pic you could pull both and compare.

Now you have to use the back button to get back to the forum,so there is no way now to see multiple enlarged pics!

Has there been anything in this upgrade, or anything to do with all our efforts, that have met with your approval???

Not sure about the browser you are using, but all the different browsers I use (including FireFox) allow you to right click on the thumbnail and open it in it's own window if you want to open and compare multiple pics. I'm guessing IE has that same option.

Complaining, feedback and opinions are all welcomed I hope.

Yes Jeff, All feedback, and even complaints are welcome.

First let me say the font size is fine for me,but I can see where some people might find it small,and hard to read.

I haven't been rude in any of my posts regarding problems /differences in the new format,I would appreciate the same consideration. I have merely pointed out things/problems like other people have. Thanks

Unfortunately IE does not open a new window,even using right click. As stated even left clicking before opened a new window.

If it is not possible to fix ,no problem,was just bringing it to your attention that it was possible before,just as MattyB did with links!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Dean,

In my opinion, the blue on blue is very cold and not palm inviting. Also, no graphic designs of any palms. I hope the openning page can be changed with some ideas added later. But thanks for all your hard work in the chang over.

Jeff

Complaining, feedback and opinions are all welcomed I hope.

Yes Jeff, All feedback, and even complaints are welcome.

First let me say the font size is fine for me,but I can see where some people might find it small,and hard to read.

I haven't been rude in any of my posts regarding problems /differences in the new format,I would appreciate the same consideration. I have merely pointed out things/problems like other people have. Thanks

Unfortunately IE does not open a new window,even using right click. As stated even left clicking before opened a new window.

If it is not possible to fix ,no problem,was just bringing it to your attention that it was possible before,just as MattyB did with links!

Feedback, suggestions, and polite requests for individual problem solving are welcome. Even the occasional well meaning complaint is graciously accepted. But years of constant ungrateful nit picky complaining (both publicly and privately) is not.

When I use IE on my Windows machine, and when I use IE on my friend's Window machine, and when my son uses IE on his Windows machine, a right click on the thumbnail opens a window with one of the options "Open Link in New Window." Could it be you have overlooked that option?

If that option is not available, then your browser is broken. You could download Firefox, as I've suggested before, and solve all your browser problems. You could download a newer version (or same version) of IE, which would repair what you have now. Or you could always perform a Google search on your own, and find one of many solutions like this one HERE But since I have no idea what version of IE you have, I can't be of any more help.

When i click a thumbnail, full size picture opens and then i have to go back to read a topic again.

And loading all pictures on that page again.

I don't remember exactly, but i think before (old version) when we clicked a thumbnail new window with pictures was opened or picture was opened inside the page... i really don't remember exactly, but i don't think the browser took you to the photo url so you had to click "back" to continue reading topic.

• Upvote 1

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

When i click a thumbnail, full size picture opens and then i have to go back to read a topic again.

And loading all pictures on that page again.

I don't remember exactly, but i think before (old version) when we clicked a thumbnail new window with pictures was opened or picture was opened inside the page... i really don't remember exactly, but i don't think the browser took you to the photo url so you had to click "back" to continue reading topic.

I think you may be right. There is a new system with this upgrade that uses what they call a "lightbox" instead. We had that as the default, but it is more confusing and less easily understood than this option. You will just have to get used to using the "back" button, or right click if you want the new window option.

Yes i know what is "lightbox". Something like this.

I don't mind clicking back, i just wanted to point that out. Although it is a bit old, or "out of fashion".

ps. what do you mean by "right click"? I get normal browser menu by clicking right button, i see no option regarding picture opening.

Edited by Pivi

Yes i know what is "lightbox". Something like this.

I don't mind clicking back, i just wanted to point that out. Although it is a bit old, or "out of fashion".

ps. what do you mean by "right click"? I get normal browser menu by clicking right button, i see no option regarding picture opening.

When you right click on the thumbnail, look in the menu for the option of "Open Link in New Window" or "Open in New Window." This was discussed previous to your first post.

I admit I didn't read the topic before asking this question.

I admit I didn't read the topic before asking this question.

No problem, we accept "confessions" here. Especially for "sins" that we are all guilty of at times. :)

• Upvote 1

But if i may, i still think you can find a better solution for this, something like on the previous version of palmtalk. :D

Ok, just my opinion.

I like the new colors. The PalmTalk log at the top is HUGE on my screen.

I made it bigger Kathryn. You don't like it??? Some were complaining about the lack of colors.

I have a virus on my home computer that is being stubborn so I've been using my laptop from work. The PalmTalk logo goes over half way across the screen. Don't suggest changing browser settings - the IT Nazis would never allow us that freedom.

Where’s the link to the IPS web site?

• Upvote 1

In our modern times, everybody uses big screens.

Palmtalk logo takes less than a third of a width on my screen.

a.object

Yes and no, explanation : I have a 22" on my desktop unit, a 15" on my work laptop and a 12,5" on my ultra-portable laptop, which I have everywhere with me and on this one, headers take the half off the screen. jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

I have 20" wide screen and it takes less then a third of a width.

post-1237-12648756327191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pivi

I like the new colors. The PalmTalk log at the top is HUGE on my screen.

I made it bigger Kathryn. You don't like it??? Some were complaining about the lack of colors.

I have a virus on my home computer that is being stubborn so I've been using my laptop from work. The PalmTalk logo goes over half way across the screen. Don't suggest changing browser settings - the IT Nazis would never allow us that freedom.

Where’s the link to the IPS web site?

Kathryn,

I have no idea how to answer. I don't know what browser you are using, what OS you are using (with versions), what your screen resolution is, or what skin you are using. A screeen shot would help. I did make the logo bigger on the new skin. So try one of the others. I don't think the Lo-Fi version even has a PT logo. But if I had to guess, I would say this it a function of your screen resolution. But unless I have more info, I can not offer more advice. But, if you can not adjust any settings, I am not sure what good any advice would be. If your laptop is small, I'm guessing your IT guys might have set your font options to largest, thus making the logo even larger. Have you tried the other skins?

We are debating whether to expend the effort (and possible graphical expense) to customize the header again with a link to the IPS using the old logo. It may have to be done differently for each "skin" as well. Since a new logo is in the works, I think we decided to wait, and do it once - rather than write all that code, then turn around and re-do it all again when the new logo is decided on. Having said that, I am working on a minor "hack" to at least insert a link into the "Navigation" Bar.

But if i may, i still think you can find a better solution for this, something like on the previous version of palmtalk. :D

Ok, just my opinion.

They have not included that option in this software - instead choosing their "lightbox" gallery extension as a replacement for the automatic new window option. While the "lightbox" is supposedly an improvement, it would be confusing for many of the less computer literate people here, as closing it, closes the browser unless you scroll to the bottom of the page to the dedicated 'close' button. In addition, it didn't seem to be auto-resizing for many members (browser settings???), so members were complaining about the size and having to scroll for the larger pics. Personally, I don't see much difference clicking on the back button, as opposed to clicking on the close button.

I have 20" wide screen and it takes less then a third of a width.

More on logo size, font size, etc. --- for anyone interested --- and to maybe explain why I can't account for, or explain and help, when someone doesn't give me specifics of their set up. These differences in appearance are not so much a function of screen size (but of course a wider screen format will make a difference), but are mostly a function of screen (monitor) resolution.

In Kathryn's situation, I can only guess that she is using an older computer with a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. And she is still using the new skin.

Pivi's resolution is higher. And mine, even though it is a 17" laptop is possibly a little higher still. My resolution is 1680 x 1050

Below are two examples. The first is the old 1024 x 768 standard resolution with the new skin. The second is my laptop (1680 x 1050) with the Classic Blue skin.

post-430-12648876552199_thumb.jpg

post-430-12648876604006_thumb.jpg

Yeah, my resulution is also 1680*1050.

just a stupid question, why the forum was update ?

jean-bernard

Jean-Bernard, forums in general are upgraded for security reasons, technical reasons...

Some memebers had problems logging in the forum due to a security option on the old version.

Among other things, this version took care of that problem.

Edited by Pivi

Dean - I was mostly kidding. Sorry I didn't use emoticons to indicate such; it's hard enough to type on this little computer much less add "flare". I don’t mind the Huge logo – I kind of like that mine is bigger and perhaps some others may have logo envy! :rolleyes: I’m stuck on this computer with IE, probably an older version since our IT is way behind the times (I think they are working on a Vista upgrade right now :) ). I can’t change anything about the way the fonts or screen looks.

Thanks for all your hard work!

just a stupid question, why the forum was update ?

jean-bernard

As Pivi partially answered.

Hacker, scammers, and spammers constantly try to crash sites such as these. When a weak point is found, the software engineers write patches and fixes. After a while, it becomes more practical to release a new version, and upgrade all at once. And also for exactly the same reason Windows, or any other software offers upgrades - for performance and feature enhancements that take new technologies into account.