IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM UPGRADE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

PALM MOD

I like the new colors. The PalmTalk log at the top is HUGE on my screen.

I made it bigger Kathryn. You don't like it??? Some were complaining about the lack of colors.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I'm with Kim. I miss the "top" button. Is there a key on my keyboard that will do that?

Ken, try the Home key...

Home key it is. Thanks!

There is a link at the bottom as well.

Dean--

If I can make one technical suggestion, I notice that unless I make my browser REALLY wide, when looking at the listing of posts, the sub-forum name is in a very narrow cell and this forces each post-listing to use up three lines of vertical space. This becomes a scroll-monster and looks to my eye very vertically over-spaced. Is there a way you could just reduce the relative space used by the topic-title and give a little more space to the forum name? This would make each post take only two lines of vertical space and allow a more graspable view of all new posts on the screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Of course browsers and their fonts, etc. make this change from machine to machine, but all other things being equal, and compared with the old site, this is what's happening on my machine. The other option would be to make that column's type-size either smaller or change it from ALL CAPS to c/lc which would stop it from stealing much of the attention on the screen and relieve some of the space requirements.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty nice overall and seems pretty fluid and slick. I think I might agree that the blue color scheme is a little cold and perhaps a warmer green would be more suitable (especially considering the subject content :) ) and perhaps a little more inviting...but of course that's personal taste and not everyone will agree there!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Anyone else getting the "driver error" messages? I can't use the full editor of send PM's and cannot access some threads.

Edited by freakypalmguy

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Anyone else getting the "driver error" messages? I can't use the full editor of send PM's and cannot access some threads.

We are still working on quite a few things. Be patient. Although it seems to be working OK at the moment.

We are still working on quite a few things. Be patient. Although it seems to be working OK at the moment.

OK, I thought armageddon was upon us. My messenger says I have two new messages but it won't let me access them. I'll give it some time.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Dean--

If I can make one technical suggestion, I notice that unless I make my browser REALLY wide, when looking at the listing of posts, the sub-forum name is in a very narrow cell and this forces each post-listing to use up three lines of vertical space. This becomes a scroll-monster and looks to my eye very vertically over-spaced. Is there a way you could just reduce the relative space used by the topic-title and give a little more space to the forum name? This would make each post take only two lines of vertical space and allow a more graspable view of all new posts on the screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Of course browsers and their fonts, etc. make this change from machine to machine, but all other things being equal, and compared with the old site, this is what's happening on my machine. The other option would be to make that column's type-size either smaller or change it from ALL CAPS to c/lc which would stop it from stealing much of the attention on the screen and relieve some of the space requirements.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty nice overall and seems pretty fluid and slick. I think I might agree that the blue color scheme is a little cold and perhaps a warmer green would be more suitable (especially considering the subject content :) ) and perhaps a little more inviting...but of course that's personal taste and not everyone will agree there!

This is not occurring on any of my three machines. Nor has anyone else mentioned it. Therefore I have to believe this is how you have you system set up. Without a screen shot, the resolution of your monitor, browser used, etc. I can not even offer a suggestion.

Dear Mod :)

Those images that we have upload into our server is not visible today...and here are the links !

http://www.palmtalk....=0&#entry365601

And even our Matt's ' Phoenix theophrasti ' topic has no images that were in there yesterday ?

And i have noticed that when we click on the link in the posts,they do not open in a new page,instead it removes the present post and the very same page turns out to be the clicked site.

You can try that by clicking on the link i have given in this post.What is the problem here is that after reading the information automatically our mind is set to close that page,eventually even the palmtalk page gets close.So i have to once again open palmtalk.org page fresh.

thanks & love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I made it bigger Kathryn. You don't like it??? Some were complaining about the lack of colors.

no not a complain just a remark without angry none malice.

I'm a old man with his habits, and further more I'm a Froggy Frenchy :D:sick:

jean-bernard

Jean-Bernard,

In my book, there's nothing wrong with old men, frogs, or Frenchies. :) I appreciate the feedback.

Complaining, feedback and opinions are all welcomed I hope. And the "Drive Error" has still popped up for, last night. Buy hopefully it will be worked out. I have patience. Thanks.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My thoughts so far. Overall, I like the new format but have some suggestions:

1. The text size is way too small. It would help if font size was increased.

2. The light blue on med blue on darker blue etc. tends to run together for me. I'd like more contrast. The tiny black text fades into the background. Maybe there is a psychological reason for all this blue (keep the palm fanatics relaxed?) but I'd rather not be rendered catatonic.

3. Each poster's personal info, quips, etc. The text colors and sizes disappear into the light blue background. Palm Mod's green "Thanks for making......." is almost invisible.

4. The more I look at things, the more tired my eyes get. Please, some relief. Thanks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

DeanO,

Can you please change the setting that controls the following:

When you click on a link that someone puts into a thread, it dosen't open a new page, it instead just goes to that link, so when you "X" out of that link you completely get dropped from your internet session instead of just going back to palmtalk. Does that make sense? I think that same thing used to happen at palmpedia until you changed it.Thanks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

2. The light blue on med blue on darker blue etc. tends to run together for me. I'd like more contrast. The tiny black text fades into the background. Maybe there is a psychological reason for all this blue (keep the palm fanatics relaxed?) but I'd rather not be rendered catatonic.

3. Each poster's personal info, quips, etc. The text colors and sizes disappear into the light blue background. Palm Mod's green "Thanks for making......." is almost invisible.

4. The more I look at things, the more tired my eyes get. Please, some relief. Thanks.

This is the third time I have asked/suggested why don't you guys simply increase your own font size. Is anybody listening?

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to figure out a way to do so, but it may be a very long involved technical modification of the entire format. In the meantime, it takes a click or two on your part.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dean,

Great work so far. Although I wanted to raise a problem that happened yesterday. When I try to go into one of the thread, they said they had driver issue... and after waiting a few hours, I could get in, but some photos disappeared from a few threads (Tim's drive by thread, and Don's Mauritia's thread). I thought it was just me, but Peter couldn't see them either. I am not sure about other thread as I didn't check them all.

Otherwise, all is good... simple website.. which I like :).

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

DeanO,

When you click on a link that someone puts into a thread, it dosen't open a new page, it instead just goes to that link, so when you "X" out of that link you completely get dropped from your internet session instead of just going back to palmtalk. Does that make sense? I think that same thing used to happen at palmpedia until you changed it.Thanks.

Matty,

Not sure if that option is available anymore, but I'll look around. It seems as if the newer softwares are assuming you guys know how to use the features on your browsers. If you use tabbed browsing, that would eliminate your problem - it would open up another tab. Same with the font sizes. I adjust my font size differently for every site I visit. It's just a mouse click in my browser tool bar for an increase or decrease in font size.

Hi Dean,

Great work so far. Although I wanted to raise a problem that happened yesterday. When I try to go into one of the thread, they said they had driver issue... and after waiting a few hours, I could get in, but some photos disappeared from a few threads (Tim's drive by thread, and Don's Mauritia's thread). I thought it was just me, but Peter couldn't see them either. I am not sure about other thread as I didn't check them all.

Otherwise, all is good... simple website.. which I like :).

Regards, Ari :)

Thanks Ari,

This has been discussed. We are working on the assumption that when the database crashed, it took out a few photos. But we are unsure.

When I click onto a thread I imediatly go back to a page that is 2 weeks old. This sis still very frustrating. Thanks for trying to sort things out. It has been very dificult to comment and keep up with the board with all of these problems.

jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Complaining, feedback and opinions are all welcomed I hope. And the "Drive Error" has still popped up for, last night. Buy hopefully it will be worked out. I have patience. Thanks.

Yes Jeff, All feedback, and even complaints are welcome.

But for the benefit of everyone, it sure helps when a little info comes along with a report of a problem. I happen to know where Jeff lives so I can get a vague idea of what he means by "last night." But it still makes it impossible for me to know if it was before I made a particular change, or after. And what was he doing when the problem happened? Was it just one isolated instance, or was it repeatable? So the more info I have the better. If I had a screen shot of the error message, and an exact time (time zone included), I could check the logs and get some valuable info.

When I click onto a thread I imediatly go back to a page that is 2 weeks old. This sis still very frustrating. Thanks for trying to sort things out. It has been very dificult to comment and keep up with the board with all of these problems.

jason

I can make nothing out of a report like this. An example would be very helpful.

DeanO,

Matty,

Not sure if that option is available anymore, but I'll look around. It seems as if the newer softwares are assuming you guys know how to use the features on your browsers. If you use tabbed browsing, that would eliminate your problem - it would open up another tab. Same with the font sizes. I adjust my font size differently for every site I visit. It's just a mouse click in my browser tool bar for an increase or decrease in font size.

I understand what you mean by tabbed browsing. When you click on an embedded link in a thread, it automatically switches the current tab to the link and drops palmtalk. I have to hit 'back' to get back to palmtalk. I can do that but what if the link takes you to a site where you wanna browse around a while? The only way back to where I was on palmtalk is to hit back numerous times.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

jason

Hi Jason. Do you mean you want to reach the last post of a thread instead of the beginning? If that is the case, don't click on the thread title, click on the time or date of the last post over to the right above the last poster's name.

Or, do you mean nothing is marked as already read? Maybe try the "View New Content" link toward the top under the Search window?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm with Kim. I miss the "top" button. Is there a key on my keyboard that will do that?

Ken, try the Home key...

Home key it is. Thanks!

Anyone know the equavalent of the Home key on a Mac?

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ken, try the Home key...

Home key it is. Thanks!

Anyone know the equavalent of the Home key on a Mac?

Googling "home key on mac" gives you quite a few answers, beginning with this one.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/99313-mbp-home-key.html

This is the third time I have asked/suggested why don't you guys simply increase your own font size. Is anybody listening?

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to figure out a way to do so, but it may be a very long involved technical modification of the entire format. In the meantime, it takes a click on your part.

First let me say the font size is fine for me,but I can see where some people might find it small,and hard to read.

I don't know about MAC users, but us PC users, when I increase the font size with a click, it increases the overall size of the screen. Even when I go from 100% to just 110%, which is the least I have been able to increase it,I have to SCROLL to read the post,as it takes the right side of the post off the screen. This can be as annoying ,if not more annyoing than trying to read small script! As you have to scroll back and forth to the read the posts. Maybe I am missing something,or increasing the font size the wrong way, but the only way I know to increase it on my PC is to go from 100% to 110% or more, and this makes reading the post more problematic than trying to read small script.

So the solution just being a click away for PC users,is less than ideal either,unless I am missing something?

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

jason

Hi Jason. Do you mean you want to reach the last post of a thread instead of the beginning? If that is the case, don't click on the thread title, click on the time or date of the last post over to the right above the last poster's name.

Or, do you mean nothing is marked as already read? Maybe try the "View New Content" link toward the top under the Search window?

Thanks Kim,

I hadn't considered that is what he meant.

I assumed everyone knew it was possible to be directed to the most recent activity in a thread.

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to figure out a way to do so, but it may be a very long involved technical modification of the entire format. In the meantime, it takes a click on your part.

First let me say the font size is fine for me,but I can see where some people might find it small,and hard to read.

I don't know about MAC users, but us PC users, when I increase the font size with a click, it increases the overall size of the screen. Even when I go from 100% to just 110%, which is the least I have been able to increase it,I have to SCROLL to read the post,as it takes the right side of the post off the screen. This can be as annoying ,if not more annyoing than trying to read small script! Maybe I am missing something,or increasing the font size the wrong way,but the only way I know to increase it on my PC is to go to 110% or more, and this makes reading the post more problematic than trying to read small script.

So the solution just being a click away for PC users,is less than ideal either,unless I am missing something?

I guess no one is paying attention. I'll try explaining again. "Contol/+ or Control/-" and "Alt/+ or Alt/-" and "AppleKey/+ or AppleKey/-" are all ways to increase or decrease your font size on a browser. Pressing one of these keys (Alt, Ctrl, or Apple) and using your scroll wheel usually does the same thing. But it's different for different browsers and different platforms. In addition, Firefox, Safari, Camino, etc. have the tool bar options set up so that you can place icons in the tool bar for an easy and quick click option that will increase or decrease your font size. I'm not sure about the newest IE, but the older versions had all these options as well.

Try Googling "Changing Font Size Browser" - all these techniques and a few others will be explained to you.

DeanO,

Matty,

I understand what you mean by tabbed browsing. When you click on an embedded link in a thread, it automatically switches the current tab to the link and drops palmtalk. I have to hit 'back' to get back to palmtalk. I can do that but what if the link takes you to a site where you wanna browse around a while? The only way back to where I was on palmtalk is to hit back numerous times.

OK Matty - Got It

It's on the growing wish list. :)

I don't know about MAC users, but us PC users, when I increase the font size with a click, it increases the overall size of the screen. Even when I go from 100% to just 110%, which is the least I have been able to increase it,I have to SCROLL to read the post,as it takes the right side of the post off the screen. This can be as annoying ,if not more annyoing than trying to read small script! Maybe I am missing something,or increasing the font size the wrong way,but the only way I know to increase it on my PC is to go to 110% or more, and this makes reading the post more problematic than trying to read small script.

I guess no one is paying attention. I'll try explaining again. "Contol/+ or Control/-" and "Alt/+ or Alt/-" and "AppleKey/+ or AppleKey/-" are all ways to increase or decrease your font size on a browser. Pressing one of these keys (Alt, Ctrl, or Apple) and using your scroll wheel usually does the same thing. But it's different for different browsers and different platforms. In addition, Firefox, Safari, Camino, etc. have the tool bar options set up so that you can place icons in the tool bar for an easy and quick click option that will increase or decrease your font size. I'm not sure about the newest IE, but the older versions had all these options as well.

Try Googling "Changing Font Size Browser" - all these techniques and a few others will be explained to you.

Maybe you didn't understand MY post? That is exactly what I do to increase font size... "Control" held down and the "scroll wheel" you go one way and it goes down you go the other way it goes up, in 10 percent increments... and it doesn't just make the font size increase,it increases the overall size of the platform/forum... therefore it takes the right side of the page OFF the screen,therefore making one have to scroll back and forth to read posts,even at the smallest increment I can increase it too which is 110%. Maybe it is different with a MAC as I said, I have no idea never having used a MAC!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Maybe you didn't understand MY post? That is exactly what I do to increase font size... "Control" held down and the "scroll wheel" you go one way and it goes down you go the other way it goes up, in 10 percent increments... and it doesn't just make the font size increase,it increases the overall size of the platform/forum... therefore it takes the right side of the page OFF the screen,therefore making one have to scroll back and forth to read posts,even at the smallest increment I can increase it too which is 110%. Maybe it is different with a MAC as I said, I have no idea never having used a MAC!

Then you must be using IE. I'll mention again, every browser treats this differently. It's not really a Mac or PC thing - it's a browser thing. As also mentioned, I am not sure how newer versions of IE handles this. The last version of IE I used had a rather inconvenient way to accomplish the same thing. But yes, if you are still using IE, CTRL/+or- will increase or decrease the size of the entire page, not just the font.

If you are using any browser other than IE, you can manage font sizes easily, with the short cuts. I'll suggest again - try using Firefox. You will enjoy a faster, more pleasant, and more secure web experience.

There's a difference between zooming the screen size and making the font bigger. I think IE7 enabled zooming the screen size (but I don't use IE7 myself). Double-check what the commands are for each.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

There's a difference between zooming the screen size and making the font bigger. I think IE7 enabled zooming the screen size (but I don't use IE7 myself). Double-check what the commands are for each.

Yes Mark,

That is what I was trying to explain when I said it appears recent versions of IE increase the size of the entire page with those commands, while every other browser increases just the fonts. And it looks like IE8 still doesn't have any short cuts for this task. But there are ways to manage fonts inconveniently in IE, if you are intent on using that browser. If anyone knows of a short cut like other browsers have, please let us know.

I used to use the mode : sort by "topic started" or "topic starter" or some thing like that at the bottom right, in the old version, is there the same thing in this one ? (for not the thread go up)

edit :

when I delogge me, and come back a few time later, the posts I have read in my last session was mark as unread, eg: in this screen copy we can see that I have not read all the post in this thread, while I was the last writer

win200/firefox 3.0 ou win7/firefox 3.5

post-552-12645107553935_thumb.jpg

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Is it possible to increase the number of threads per page? With only 30 per page, items move off the front page very quickly and can easily be missed. I may be mistaken, but it seems there were two or three times as many per page in the old format.

Kim Cyr

Is it possible to increase the number of threads per page? With only 30 per page, items move off the front page very quickly and can easily be missed. I may be mistaken, but it seems there were two or three times as many per page in the old format.

30 is the default settings but you can increase to 40 (I would prefer 50).

post-552-12645234465457_thumb.jpg

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

That doesn't mean I'm not trying to figure out a way to do so, but it may be a very long involved technical modification of the entire format. In the meantime, it takes a click or two on your part.

Yes Mark,

That is what I was trying to explain when I said it appears recent versions of IE increase the size of the entire page with those commands, while every other browser increases just the fonts. And it looks like IE8 still doesn't have any short cuts for this task. But there are ways to manage fonts inconveniently in IE, if you are intent on using that browser. If anyone knows of a short cut like other browsers have, please let us know.

I'm sure most of the members here are not as computer savy as you are,I know I am not. Yes I use IE as a browser(inferior browser according to you, it might be) and for any other members who might also use IE, your easily clickable fix to increase font size ,would have encountered the same problem as me. That there is no easy way to increase font size only,as increasing font size also increases the size of the entire page,requiring scrolling back and forth to read posts.So your insistance that they were not paying attention, and if they would just increase their font size with an easy click, was not a solution if they use IE as a browser,rather than one of the supposed much better browsers available.There was no mention intially,until I brought it up, that if you use IE that this easy fix wouldn't work for members who use IE.

I realize a lot is going on with your end with the upgrade, but thought your response to Megs suggestions/opinions somewhat...

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

jean-bernard

Thank you, Jean-Bernard! I overlooked that. Agree, 50 would be nicer... :)

Kim Cyr

jean-bernard

Thank you, Jean-Bernard! I overlooked that. Agree, 50 would be nicer... :)

I believe I can change the selections to anything. I'll change the default to 40 as it was before, and put an option for 50 if I can.

Yes Mark,

I'm sure most of the members here are not as computer savy as you are,I know I am not. Yes I use IE as a browser(inferior browser according to you, it might be) and for any other members who might also use IE, your easily clickable fix to increase font size ,would have encountered the same problem as me. That there is no easy way to increase font size only,as increasing font size also increases the size of the entire page,requiring scrolling back and forth to read posts.So your insistance that they were not paying attention, and if they would just increase their font size with an easy click, was not a solution if they use IE as a browser,rather than one of the supposed much better browsers available.There was no mention intially,until I brought it up, that if you use IE that this easy fix wouldn't work for members who use IE.

I realize a lot is going on with your end with the upgrade, but thought your response to Megs suggestions/opinions somewhat...

Scott,

Give it a rest. I only mentioned that the option to increase font size exists because it appears as if most members were unaware. Even if I would of had the time, I couldn't have offered the key strokes for every combination of every browser and OS (including versions) out there.

But I did try to offer some advice to the members, including you. You didn't bother to mention what you were using or I could have been more specific. I should have just said the option is available, and go Google the answer for yourself. Instead I related how to do it on most browsers, and indicated I was unsure about recent versions of IE. Apparently it takes 2 or 3 different clicks to do it on IE.

I guess I could have Googled "Changing Font Sizes Browser" for you, and reviewed and copied the first link of a thousand links for you, and then pasted it HERE for your convenience. But I was kinda busy at the time. But for anyone else who is interested, use that link to learn how to manage your font sizes. And just try Fire Fox. Then you can decide if it's a better browser. Oh Scott, for your convenience you can click HERE for Fire Fox.