IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FORUM UPGRADE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

PALM MOD

Well,

The heavy lifting is done. There are still some tweaks etc. that need to be done. If you guys think it's weird getting used to and figuring out the new forum look and features, you should take a look at the Administration Control Panel.

Please realize I am starting from the same place as you are. I will have to figure out some answers as well. So if you have figured out an answer to a question, please chime in.

Don't forget, there is a "HELP" option in the upper right hand corner. Try checking there first for the obvious things you may be having trouble with.

As to the PMs - I mentioned that the PM system was much different. I don't know all the intricacies yet, but when I get the other stuff like photo management, adding emoticons, re-installing the Header Icons and Links, IPS Member/Forum Member permissions set, I'll take a look. Hopefully, some of you will have figured it out and provide all of us an explanation.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I've been fooling around with the site, seems to work well so far, nice clean look. So clean, in fact, there is no prominent link to the IPS website. :rolleyes: Knowing you, you are already working on that...

One thing I miss is the tab for "Top" that allowed us to jump to the top of the page easily from the middle of a thread -- a small thing, but it was convenient.

A new feature that I really like is the format for messages -- they appear to work just like a thread in the forums, except private, and you have the option to invite others into the discussion, almost like a 'chat' feature. The new format eliminates the "too many quotes" problem we used to have, quite an improvement.

One thing I don't understand -- when I click on the link for "Help with attaching files -- Try our advanced uploader...etc." it takes me to my personal settings. ??? Seems like a non sequitur.

Looks great! Nice work!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

"Yes Kim,

You are correct. It is essentially a thread now that you conduct between you and the PMer. I just did my first. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Now, existing PMs (sent before the upgrade) may be handled differently, because they may have gotten caught "in limbo."

Dean, with reference to your comment above (quoted from the other thread), some, but not all, old PMs can be replied to by clicking on "Reply". The ones with the red X to the left cannot be replied to, for whatever reason. If this scenario is only for older PMs, no big deal, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens to the PMs in the new format over the next several days. The "red X" may not happen to those, in which case this is all a non-issue.

Mod Edit:

The guy (Logan) that is helping with the upgrade and who is very familiar with the software has offered the following. (Since he is reading these, I have to add that he has been doing a perfect job, and has been a pleasure to work with).

"PMs sent before the upgrade will have a red X if one of the parties had since deleted it. So there is a red X because there are no participants... all future PMs will work properly, but if one participant deletes their copy of the conversation it will become closed and a red X will appear. Since they are “conversations” now, and participants can delete them as they please like a regular message.

There can also be more than one member participating in a private conversation now, you can invite them to existing ones, or add them right away when sending a PM."

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean,

When you click on the Members tab,

Could you please explain the significance of the 1-5 stars and the "Reputation" score

Maybe its just me but I don't like the Blue on Blue and the default font is too small for by eyes.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Dean,

When you click on the Members tab,

Could you please explain the significance of the 1-5 stars and the "Reputation" score

Maybe its just me but I don't like the Blue on Blue and the default font is too small for by eyes.

Bruce

Bruce,

I'm not completely sure, or if we will keep it. Stay tuned.

And BTW - It's very easy to increase font size, depending on what browser you are using. Try CRL/+ or ALT/+ ( and - to reduce it)

But having said that, I'll look for a tweak to set the default size. I agree, a little bigger might look better.

I agree with Bruce, the default font size is too small, even with my glasses on.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Dean,

Just happened to look at the "stats" for this thread: 5 replies and 0 views! That's a new one to me. And Don's recent Mauritia thread, same thing (as of right now): 7 Replies but 0 views! Stats for other threads seem to make sense, but of course there's no way to know if the number of views are actually correct for any of them.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The issue I've experienced is when trying to type a PM -- when I click with my mouse in the text box, the text rolls upwards and away from where I was trying to type. It was EXTREMELY difficult to type a message when I wanted to cut & paste and/or just reset the active cursor at the end of the text to resume typing (I finally resorted to just using the "arrow" keys to move within my message but that was quite cumbersome in itself). Does this make sense (in other words, did I explain it so you know what I'm talking about) and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Dean,

In my opinion, the blue on blue is very cold and not palm inviting. Also, no graphic designs of any palms. I hope the openning page can be changed with some ideas added later. But thanks for all your hard work in the chang over.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dean,

In my opinion, the blue on blue is very cold and not palm inviting. Also, no graphic designs of any palms. I hope the openning page can be changed with some ideas added later. But thanks for all your hard work in the chang over.

Jeff

Please continue with feedback. I can guarantee three things.

1) It will all be read and considered.

2) No big changes will occur until we all get accustomed to this first - at least a week.

3) There is no look that everyone will agree on.

The issue I've experienced is when trying to type a PM -- when I click with my mouse in the text box, the text rolls upwards and away from where I was trying to type. It was EXTREMELY difficult to type a message when I wanted to cut & paste and/or just reset the active cursor at the end of the text to resume typing (I finally resorted to just using the "arrow" keys to move within my message but that was quite cumbersome in itself). Does this make sense (in other words, did I explain it so you know what I'm talking about) and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Tim

I've sent and received several PMs with no complications so far. So I'm not sure what to tell you. It sounds like maybe a problem on your end.

Anybody else experience this???

Dean,

Just happened to look at the "stats" for this thread: 5 replies and 0 views! That's a new one to me. And Don's recent Mauritia thread, same thing (as of right now): 7 Replies but 0 views! Stats for other threads seem to make sense, but of course there's no way to know if the number of views are actually correct for any of them.

Not sure what to tell you Bo. It doesn't say that on my screen. Maybe we are looking from different places, or perhaps something hasn't refreshed correctly on your end. Let me know if it continues.

Nice upgrade Dean! Thank you for working on this and i am sure that although right now i do prefer the old one in the looks,after you are done masking it it will be as beautyfull and inviting a forum as it was and with more features and less glitches! :)

I sent a pm a few minutes earlier and i must say all went straightforward,didnt have the problem Tim had. Maybe it was a pc glitch of the moment?

I too wasnt allowed to reply to old pms though...

I saw what Bo said a few minutes ago too,5 replies but 0 views in this topic but no that i checked again,views and replies sound normal,seems fixed(?) :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

How about a section under preferences where we can change the colors of the forum? Where blue on blue would be default, but we can change the colors to our liking, that would be nice. Also, some palmy pics on the website would be nice too, how about a palm pic of the week?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Nice job Dean. Any reason the member regestration number doesn't show anymore?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wow, I can see several upgrades just from this morning -- "View New Content" now located in the upper right, our familiar PalmTalk icon, top left. :greenthumb: Somebody's working it. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow.....my Palmtalk logo at the top is Ginormous! I think this just happened as I didn't notice it this morning.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

When I use the back arrow on my browser I get this.....BTW my IPS logo is normal now.

Webpage has expired

Most likely cause:

The local copy of this webpage is out of date, and the website requires that you download it again.

What you can try:

Click on the Refresh button on the toolbar to reload the page. After refreshing, you might need to navigate to the specific webpage again, or re-enter information.

More information

If you continue to have this problem, try the following:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.

Scroll down and uncheck the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Security settings.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Please hang loose for a day or two until we get things dialed in. There are literally hundreds of settings to tweak and tinker with.

So if you would, hold off on mentioning minor or cosmetic matters until the "dust settles." Many will probably be taken care with routine house cleaning. But feel free to ask, discuss, and address any major functional issues. Note: we are still working on the various image upload and management configurations. This will take a little time.

When I use the back arrow on my browser I get this.....BTW my IPS logo is normal now.

Webpage has expired

Most likely cause:

The local copy of this webpage is out of date, and the website requires that you download it again.

What you can try:

Click on the Refresh button on the toolbar to reload the page. After refreshing, you might need to navigate to the specific webpage again, or re-enter information.

More information

If you continue to have this problem, try the following:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.

Scroll down and uncheck the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Security settings.

If you haven't already, just hitting your refresh button will work. You were trying to go back to a page that didn't exist anymore. I'm still working on stuff.

Whooaa! This is like driving a new car. Pretty cool. Good work guys :greenthumb:

Other than a few little detals it seems like the same layout and interface. I mean that in a good way.

Palmtalk is stepp'in up!

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Hey you know what would be a fun thing to add to the forum?? Little palm icons im the emoticons! Surfermag forum has little surfers, yorkietalk has little dog icons....you see what I'm sayin ?!?!?

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Vince Bury

Hey you know what would be a fun thing to add to the forum?? Little palm icons im the emoticons! Surfermag forum has little surfers, yorkietalk has little dog icons....you see what I'm sayin ?!?!?

You design 'em - and I'll upload 'em.

Dean,

The problem that Tim mentioned in post #8: I had the exact same problem just now. Was responding to a PM, and since the PM you're responding to is no longer visible (until after you've sent your response) I did a copy & paste (of the incoming PM) and put that in the box where I was typing. My outgoing message on top, and the copy & paste at the bottom of the page. And then I gradually deleted the items that I had responded to, so that by the time I was done and ready to send the PM the copy & paste insert was completely deleted. BUT, this was extremely frustrating because every time I scrolled down to the copy & paste part, the screen would jump back up to the top of the PM, and I had to be REAL quick in order to delete something (for instance). There must be a better way.

And about your response in Post #12. Stats now look fine for those particular threads, but now there are a few other (fairly recent) threads that show, for instance, 5 Replies, 0 Views. Clicking on Refresh does nothing to change this. Seems to get corrected over time, so obviously not a major issue. Just a bit strange!

Bo-Göran

You design 'em - and I'll upload 'em.

Cool! I'll start this week. Jeff was saying something about the palmtalk logo. To me, it looks like something out of Miami vice in the 80's. What is cool is that IPS already has a quality logo: it is well designed(probably well paid for) All you gotta do is incorperate it into palmtalk. Makes sense too - palmtalk probabley gets 9 times as much traffis as the IPS site so it represents the community more.

logo_tag.jpg

Vince Bury

Dean,

The problem that Tim mentioned in post #8: I had the exact same problem just now. Was responding to a PM, and since the PM you're responding to is no longer visible (until after you've sent your response) I did a copy & paste (of the incoming PM) and put that in the box where I was typing. My outgoing message on top, and the copy & paste at the bottom of the page. And then I gradually deleted the items that I had responded to, so that by the time I was done and ready to send the PM the copy & paste insert was completely deleted. BUT, this was extremely frustrating because every time I scrolled down to the copy & paste part, the screen would jump back up to the top of the PM, and I had to be REAL quick in order to delete something (for instance). There must be a better way.

And about your response in Post #12. Stats now look fine for those particular threads, but now there are a few other (fairly recent) threads that show, for instance, 5 Replies, 0 Views. Clicking on Refresh does nothing to change this. Seems to get corrected over time, so obviously not a major issue. Just a bit strange!

Bo-Göran

For the benefit of others, I called Bo to discuss these issues and will be working on them.

I agree with Bruce, the default font size is too small, even with my glasses on.....

Yes,even i have similar opnion..reading the posts makes the eye water due to strain.

And yesterday i tried to PM a birthday wishes to a member,the send button does not react at all.

And all my old posts & threads where i have used heart/love symbol has turned into frowning or angry face ? :hmm: I hope our member who visit it do not get offended seeing it ! :mrlooney:

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice improvement. Thanks for the upgrade! :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yes,even i have similar opnion..reading the posts makes the eye water due to strain.

Love,

kris :)

Do you guys know how to simply and easily increase your font size?

NOT a négative critical just IMO this new layout is Very professional look but not as fun for me lack of color, where are the deep green palm colors , and the red new leaves . have the thinking of being in a hospital or worse at work. look like the front page my intranet compagny. but I 'll get used. and thanks for your hardwork for all us.

keep the good work and it will be perfect:)

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

NOT a négative critical just IMO this new layout is Very professional look but not as fun for me lack of color, where are the deep green palm colors , and the red new leaves . have the thinking of being in a hospital or worse at work. look like the front page my intranet compagny. but I 'll get used. and thanks for your hardwork for all us.

jean-bernard

I don't quite understand. Unless my memory is faulty, I don't think the old Forum had any green or red at all. Did it???

jean-bernard

I don't quite understand. Unless my memory is faulty, I don't think the old Forum had any green or red at all. Did it???

Probably not, but it was less clinical to me, just in my mind not THE truth perhaps the ice blue color.

two layouts forums palmtalk and a succulents forum.

jean-bernard

layoutsv.jpg

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Dick,

Can you be more specific? If you're trying to reply to a PM and there's a red X to the left of the subject heading, that won't work because the recipient has deleted his/her corresponding PM. If there's no red X you should have the option to reply.

Bo-Göran

I figured it out now

I need to use safari as my browser

I used to be able to work with AOL as a browser

Now I gota figure out a new system and use Safari :hmm: :hmm:

Richard Douglas