Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

8 posts in this topic

This one faced three back to back nights with -1,8ºC, -2,6ºC and -3,8ºC, this one with not light frost. This in December.

These recent days, one isolated and frosty night at -3,6ºC.

In the middle one night at -0,5ºC.

Then, some strong frost in two nights.

Light frost in another two nights.

However, this palm is located in the south side of the yard, in a place almost non atacked by frost.

And is a big sized palm.

As you see, not yet totaly burned.

I am expecting the recovering, after February :drool:

post-3292-1263302310_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

Another perspective.

post-3292-1263302554_thumb.jpg

Anyone's opinion!?

:drool:

I would not trim the old leaves for a few weeks yet as they act as insulation. But, based on the size, I would think it will recover if the spear is still green.

Mine suffered no damage from a night down to -2 at 10:30 pm, then freezing until a spell of -1 at dawn. This was part of a prolonged cold spell with successive nights at or just below freezing. No frost.

If yours is less than totally burned, I suspect it will recover quickly. Coconuts with similar damage come back well.

This palm cant really be a cunninghamiana, besides what the colour of flowers and seeds tell us...

Maybe an hybrid.

This palm cant really be a cunninghamiana, besides what the colour of flowers and seeds tell us...

Maybe an hybrid.

rafael: Nope. No way, IMO, it's a cunninghamiana, not with that tight crownshaft. Looks like a typical A. alexandrae to me, based on how my own alexandrae palms look.

Maybe an hybrid.

rafael: Nope. No way, IMO, it's a cunninghamiana, not with that tight crownshaft. Looks like a typical A. alexandrae to me, based on how my own alexandrae palms look.

Walt, i dont know if it helps if you check photos and words of this topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21044&st=0&p=351481&hl=cunninghamiana&fromsearch=1&#entry351481

But, anyway, by its behaviour facing frost, i bet its an alexandrae too!