Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Allagoptera leucocalyx

11 posts in this topic

Small pinnate specimen (1gal size), planted mid-2009, exposed position. Looked fine through a few light/moderate frosts & freezes as low as 28.6F. Began to show moderate-to-major foliar damage with two back-to-back freezes to 25.9F. The big freeze of 2010 (64 hours continuously below freezing, lows of 23, 18.4, 19.7, 19.8) has completely toasted exposed foliage. I have it mulched to the spear and expect it to recover from below this point. This one is not as leaf-hardy as I had hoped, it seems no hardier from that perspective than A. arenaria.

3 gallon plant planted in heavy soil (clay/topsoil mix) in March 2010. Lows around 21 have oldest fronds slightly damaged and newer fronds are spotted but still look fine, especially from a distance. No overhead protection and we had extremely heavy frost. This plant has been much hardier than queen palms (defoliated) and is continuing to grow throughout the winter, a new leaf has recently opened.

-Krishna

Edited by krishnaraoji88

3 gallon plant planted in heavy soil (clay/topsoil mix) in March 2010. Lows around 21 have oldest fronds slightly damaged and newer fronds are spotted but still look fine, especially from a distance. No overhead protection and we had extremely heavy frost. This plant has been much hardier than queen palms (defoliated) and is continuing to grow throughout the winter, a new leaf has recently opened.

-Krishna

Krishna,

How is it doing now?

-Krishna

Krishna,

How is it doing now?

That was the update from last weekend when I went home :mrlooney: As you know it has been a couple of weeks since Florida has had any really cold air come over and it has warmed up nicely which is why I think its still growing.

-Krishna

Just came across this again, plant has done well and has reached flowering size in 9a. No seeds produced yet unfortunately.

That's interesting....

Does anyone know how fast growing it is? Allagoptera Arenaria doesn't have a reputation for being very fast, but I know nothing about Allagoptera Leucocalyx. I mean, how long would it take for it to look like the Allagoptera Leucocalyx in the photo below if planted as a seedling?

By the way, I just noticed that Seabreeze Nurseries in Fort Myers, FL is selling this tree. They have shipped stuff to me before and at a very reasonable price.

post-6724-0-80160500-1419257378_thumb.jp

Either that plant is super old, it is a hybrid or isn't a Allagoptera leucocalyx. Everything you read says it has an underground stem. I have a Allagoptera leucocalyx and I find it slower then Arenaria so far. But my Leucocalyx is still very small so might pick up speed with size like my Arenaria did.

The plant in the picture above seems to be very old, this palm likes to much sun, soil with good drainage and practically doesn´t grow well in low temperatures.

I have a luecocalyx and it's short and sweet and petite and neat, and produces tonnes of (unviable) seeds.

Dave, do you think it will ever produce viable seed?