IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Want Bamboo - Will Trade Palms

osideterry

December's rain and wind caused my large Acacia to lean against a fence common with my neighbor's yard. It was threatening to bring the fence down, so today I cut it, and now I have this gaping hole with a view of my neighbor's house. I've been wanting to remove and put in bamboo anyway, and this has accelerated that situation. So...

I'm looking for good sized bamboo, eventually 3-5" culms, clumping, erect appearance (not weepy like B. tuldoides "ventricosa"), and decent size - large 5 gallon and up. Like I said, oldamii would be fine. I only need 3-4 good sized pots.

My finances are such, that I can't just go out and buy the bamboo, so I'm looking to trade palms. I have an interesting assortment, mostly in the 3-5 gallon range. Please PM me and mention what Bamboo you have, and I'll provide a list of palms I'm up for trading.

Of course, if someone has bamboo they want removed, I'm willing to come and dig my own. That would be ideal.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

December's rain and wind caused my large Acacia to lean against a fence common with my neighbor's yard. It was threatening to bring the fence down, so today I cut it, and now I have this gaping hole with a view of my neighbor's house. I've been wanting to remove and put in bamboo anyway, and this has accelerated that situation. So...

I'm looking for good sized bamboo, eventually 3-5" culms, clumping, erect appearance (not weepy like B. tuldoides "ventricosa"), and decent size - large 5 gallon and up. Like I said, oldamii would be fine. I only need 3-4 good sized pots.

My finances are such, that I can't just go out and buy the bamboo, so I'm looking to trade palms. I have an interesting assortment, mostly in the 3-5 gallon range. Please PM me and mention what Bamboo you have, and I'll provide a list of palms I'm up for trading.

Of course, if someone has bamboo they want removed, I'm willing to come and dig my own. That would be ideal.

Pity Florida is too far to help

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

osideterry,

Here is an idea. This is not something that nurseries specializing in bamboo like to discuss, but bamboos are really easy to propagate from cuttings. I have four different species (B. ventricosa, B. oldhamii, B. textilis gracilis, and B. multiplex) and two of them I found growing in an open field. I don't know if you have any open land or an abandoned lots nearby, but it is easy to dig up a small chunk of 1 or two canes and you will be good to go. I recently dug a Bambusa ventricosa (Budha Belly) and in six months it has tripled in size. Within a couple of years it will block the yard next door. Just an idea. Oh hell, with as many foreclosed houses on the market I wouldn't be surprised that you couldn't find a house that you could sneak a little chunk of bamboo without anyone knowing.

anyway, just an idea...and a cheap one

Bob

I have some Oldhamii that I just dug out. There are about 6 x 15 gal and 4 x 5 gal. ( I should have more soon, thinning more clumps). The corms will take a couple of years to fill in and block out your neighbors yard.

This is the only photo I can find with the bamboo in it. (the far left back)

If interested let me know what palms you have to trade

post-4088-1263267072_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice, offers and pm's.

I contacted a former co-worker who had planted a large group of oldhamii 7+ years ago. He lives in Oceanside and is graciously allowing me to dig away. I'm giving him a palm to plant by his pool.

Now for the unbelievable fun of digging through mature timber bamboo rhizomes! What was name of that big pry-bar I need to get?

porkchop - Welcome to the forum! That is the tightest, cleanest planting of oldhamii ever. You must take great care with it in that size planting bed.

B. oldhamii will grow to 40 feet if the water and food are available......it is a very large bamboo, especially in SoCal......be sure to arrange for its size. if you are away on vacation during the week it shoots (usually in late summer or early fall), you will miss the doubling of the size of your clumps.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

B. oldhamii will grow to 40 feet if the water and food are available......it is a very large bamboo, especially in SoCal......be sure to arrange for its size. if you are away on vacation during the week it shoots (usually in late summer or early fall), you will miss the doubling of the size of your clumps.

I have a huge chunk of oldhamii that I was going to tackle and pot to sell after the rains. If you still need some, you could give me a hand and I'd gladly give you all you need. I have a few palms and a huge Dioon I want to plant in its place.

MM

• 4 weeks later...

I have a huge chunk of oldhamii that I was going to tackle and pot to sell after the rains. If you still need some, you could give me a hand and I'd gladly give you all you need. I have a few palms and a huge Dioon I want to plant in its place.

How did I miss Marks first post!!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

How did I miss Marks first post!!!! biggrin.gif

Bill why are you holding out? What about your back 40 with tons of bamboo where you work your scantly clad ranch hands? sad.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

One 1 gal pot of bamboo here..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

sawzall works pretty well ,terry,but the larger the bamboo the less effective it becomes.

my dad removed a LARGE clump a year or two ago & had the most success with a large drill & 1" bit.he drilled holes every coupla inches,effectively "perforating" the tight clumps & then used the sawzall to cut between the holes.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 3 months later...

I have two 15 gallon "Black" bamboo I would be willing to trade for palms.

-Scott ( San Diego)

Scott Jaykell

San Diego, California

Zone 10b, location 10 miles inland from the ocean

• 10 months later...

You wanna ship anything to the other coast...

I bought four Bambusa Tx. Kanapaha's and only planted three...

One left... I think it's got four culms that're just thicker than .25"

You guys over there prolly can't find these over there, can you...

Prolly ChaChing. :hmm:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have some of the Black Timber Bamboo that I got from Jack Dane in SF years ago. I've no idea what it really is. The Japanese left it behind after an international exposition.

Brian Bruning