IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Biennial - early arrivals

bgl

Jim Cain, who is in charge of registration for the Biennial in Rio de Janeiro, just sent out an e-mail to a few attendees who will be arriving one day early. The "standard" arrival date is 17 April. If you plan to arrive before this date and IF you want to make a hotel reservation at the Windsor Barra Hotel ("the Biennial hotel") you need to make this reservation yourself. Here's the e-mail from Jim:

"Once I got the correct contact person at the hotel (the correct Andréa [Rebello], with her correct email address), making my reservation for an extra night was was really quite painless -- even cleaning up their initial error in what the agreed daily rate included.

I do suggest that you not try to make this reservation by phone unless you speak fluent Portuguese – and even then it would not provide you a written record of your reservation.

There is a TOTALLY free translation website (http://wordmonkey.com) that can even be inserted as a module within your I-google webpage (by using the “add stuff” menu button). Since I knew that they had English language issues, I decided to use WordMonkey to translate my requests into Portuguese. All it cost was a few minutes and the results were amazing! Almost immediate response to each of my emails (again – once I found the right person and the right email address.

My suggested procedure for each of you is the following:

1. Send an email (in English and Portuguese) to: Attention: Andréa Rebello at email address reservas.windsorbarra@windsorhoteis.com.br

2. Your message (again in both languages). This is a seed. Go to WordMonkey for the Portuguese of your modifications hereto.:

(I am) / (My wife and I) are attending the International Palm Society (IPS) convention at the Windsor Barra Hotel for the nights of April 17 through April 23 and need to reserve one additional night’s lodging for Friday night, April 16”

Please make our reservation for the additional night of Friday, April 16th at the agreed IPS rate. {Per the Hotel's previous correspondence with John DeMott and Jim Cain, we understand that the additional night will be provided at the agreed IPS rate of US$175.00 per night for the double room, with that rate including 10% service and 5% city taxes.}

Guests will be ___________________ [List names of hotel guest(s)], citizens of __________[country, in English is fine

Please confirm to me by email or fax that you have made this booking and advise the required payment terms.

I have already paid the IPS for the nights of 17 through 23 April. If you need payment in advance for this extra night's stay, I can fax you my credit card information - perhaps in two messages to ensure against identity theft).

Thank you and best regards. I look forward to your reply.

[your signature]

=====

(Estou a frequentar) / (Minha esposa e eu estamos presentes) na International Palm Society (IPS) Convenção no Hotel Windsor Barra para as noites de 17 de abril a abril de 23 e é necessário fazer reserva de alojamento uma noite adicional para a noite de sexta-feira, 16 de Abril

Por favor, fazer a nossa reserva para a noite adicional de sexta-feira, 16 abril, à taxa IPS acordado. (Por correspondência anterior do hotel com John DeMott e Jim Cain.

Os hóspedes serão ___________________ [List names of hotel guest(s)], , tanto os cidadãos __________[country, in English is fine

Por favor, confirme para mim por e-mail ou fax que você tenha feito a sua reserva e informar as condições de pagamento exigidas.

Eu já paguei o IPS para as noites de 17 a 23 de Abril. Se você precisa de um pagamento adiantado para ficar esta noite extra, eu fax você pode informações do meu cartão de crédito - talvez em duas mensagens para garantir contra roubo de identidade).

Obrigado. Aguardo a sua resposta.

[your signature]

=====

3. The above can be modified as you see fit – just go to WordMonkey for the alternate language after you translate your own message.

4. After you send your email, wait 24 hours or so before you goose them again. I doubt that it will be necessary. It was not for me.

5. Let me know if you have any problems"

END OF JIM's E-MAIL

If anyone has any questions or problems, send me a PM, and I'll put you in touch with Jim, who may not necessarily check in here but so often. If you contact me, make sure you also send me a current e-mail address.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(This is a better translation):

(Irei frequentar) / (Minha esposa e eu estaremos presentes) na Convenção da International Palm Society (IPS) no Hotel Windsor Barra nas noites de 17 de abril a 23 de abril mas necessito fazer uma reserva de alojamento adicional para a noite de sexta-feira, 16 de Abril.

Favor fazer a nossa reserva para a noite adicional de sexta-feira, 16 abril, no valor que foi acertadado com a IPS. (Por correspondência anterior do hotel com John DeMott e Jim Cain).

Os hóspedes serão ___________________ [List names of hotel guest(s)], , cidadãos de __________[country, in English is fine

Por favor, confirme para mim por e-mail ou fax essa reserva adicional e me informe as condições de pagamento exigidas.

Eu já paguei o IPS para as noites de 17 a 23 de Abril. Se você precisa de um pagamento adiantado para ficar esta noite extra, eu posso por meio de fax passar as informações do meu cartão de crédito. (talvez em duas mensagens para evitar roubo de informações).

Obrigado. Aguardo a sua resposta.

[your signature]

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!