IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala radula

joe_OC

This palm is supposed to be a good grower for Southern California, but I never see it available. Does anyone have this for sale?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

where did you see that,joe?

l.spinosa is reputedly the BEST licuala for socal,as far as i have heard.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Good luck Joe. I have seen it pop up only once for sale.

Also, it is now called Licuala dasyantha.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Found it!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

LOL, sure you did. Post pictures of your L. spinosa when you get a chance. :)

Found it!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

tsk tsk tsk...Len, if you are nice to me, I will tell you who has it! :) I am confident they are the real deal. Definitely not spinosa.

Gonna work on my Vietnamese so I can to talk to relatives in VN to go collect seeds for me too. They are supposed to be easy to germinate and are strong growers.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Nice find Joe! I have 4 out of 5 left from seed. They are tricky as hell to grow - small anyway. I have found they like organic soil, that must be well draining, and they hate our tap water. I went to bottled for these, and things are looking better. I have seen some nice ones in the ground, and they do not seem to have the same trouble. So if you found some, I hope they have a little size. Not to mention they are slow for me from seed as mine are on leaf 4 and they germinated about 1 1/2 years ago.

tsk tsk tsk...Len, if you are nice to me, I will tell you who has it! :) I am confident they are the real deal. Definitely not spinosa.

Gonna work on my Vietnamese so I can to talk to relatives in VN to go collect seeds for me too. They are supposed to be easy to germinate and are strong growers.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

If they are anything like L. spinosa (an easy grow for us) they will be painfully slow from seed. I got several 2 leaf seedlings of L. spinosa from Floribunda in Summer of 2006. They are not yet a full 1 gallon sized plant 3-1/2 years later.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

If they are anything like L. spinosa (an easy grow for us) they will be painfully slow from seed. I got several 2 leaf seedlings of L. spinosa from Floribunda in Summer of 2006. They are not yet a full 1 gallon sized plant 3-1/2 years later.

If you want a big 15 gal, Tropical Vibe has a few of them in stock. Ever tried putting some of those small ones in the ground to see if it makes a difference, Matt?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Palms of Southern California...

are you talking the soft cover deal with the drawings?

pfffft. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

If you want a big 15 gal, Tropical Vibe has a few of them in stock. Ever tried putting some of those small ones in the ground to see if it makes a difference, Matt?

No. They are way too small to put in the ground. Plus, they are in the greenhouse so that's always gonna lead to faster growth for seedlings.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Palms of Southern California...

are you talking the soft cover deal with the drawings?

pfffft. :rolleyes:

hahaha...that's not the only source that says they will grow well in CA.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

By the way, Steve says "Hi". ;)

tsk tsk tsk...Len, if you are nice to me, I will tell you who has it!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

...and then they kissed

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

hahaha :lol::lol

I thought you were mad at him?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

don't get mad 'Twan.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hmmmm... now I am lost.

I thought you were mad at him?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I've got 4 L. dasyantha one-leafers. They are as slow as L. mapu for me, and look the same at this stage, just a slightly larger, broader leaf with the same curl to them. The leaves are much thinner than a lot of Licualas I'm growing, and they are pale green, slightly sickly looking if you ask me. Not an easy grower at all at the moment. If you want easy, my Licuala glabra have grown like rockets this year, putting out nearly two full leaves.

John, do yours brown tip easily? In some cases, some of my plants have 50% of their leaves brown tipped. I figure this is a water issue or fert burn (but not sure how there is as I use controlled release nutricote in small dose).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

John, do yours brown tip easily? In some cases, some of my plants have 50% of their leaves brown tipped. I figure this is a water issue or fert burn (but not sure how there as I use controlled release nutricote in small dose).

Len,

I've had these problems since "slice bread". I think it's not so much a water issue or fertilizer burn, but more of a fungal problem in the soil. No proof....just my hunch.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff. I use Subdue and Cleary's at intervals which is probably the only reason 4 are alive of the 5.

John, do yours brown tip easily? In some cases, some of my plants have 50% of their leaves brown tipped. I figure this is a water issue or fert burn (but not sure how there as I use controlled release nutricote in small dose).

Len,

I've had these problems since "slice bread". I think it's not so much a water issue or fertilizer burn, but more of a fungal problem in the soil. No proof....just my hunch.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

John, do yours brown tip easily? In some cases, some of my plants have 50% of their leaves brown tipped. I figure this is a water issue or fert burn (but not sure how there is as I use controlled release nutricote in small dose).

Len,

I have a few brown tips, but they only came on at the end of summer, affecting the dasyantha and mapu, though only randomly. I thought it coincided with a change in temperature - especially overnight, with a gradual drop of 3 to 4 Celsius. Maybe it brought out a fungus in the soil, as Jeff suggests.

Its a miracle !!! For once the noted murderess of many palms, can boast that both her L. sp mapu and L. dasyantha are doing well. I got them as sprouted seeds a while back and they are now 2 and 3 leafers but certainly no speed demons. No brown tips either. I have them in very well drained seed raising mix, with about 30% perlite mixed in. I have just been using a weak fish emulsion and a weak seaweed solutions to fertilise them. So far they have survived a few 40 and near 40 degree days will no ill effect. I only water them weekly, they really dont seem to need it more often than that.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I talked to another grower of these that has had some luck and he said the same thing you did. I just need a much more draining soil then what I put my Dypsis in for example.

Its a miracle !!! For once the noted murderess of many palms, can boast that both her L. sp mapu and L. dasyantha are doing well. I got them as sprouted seeds a while back and they are now 2 and 3 leafers but certainly no speed demons. No brown tips either. I have them in very well drained seed raising mix, with about 30% perlite mixed in. I have just been using a weak fish emulsion and a weak seaweed solutions to fertilise them. So far they have survived a few 40 and near 40 degree days will no ill effect. I only water them weekly, they really dont seem to need it more often than that.

Peachy

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 years later...

I just got seeds from coldpalms.com in China, and they have

germinated in less than two weeks. I have two of these in the ground

that I got from Jeff Marcus several years ago and one has been flowering for

a couple of years.According to Paul Craft, this is going to become

Lanonia dasyantha in the near future.It is not a Licula.

Dale

Dale F. Holton

I just got seeds from coldpalms.com in China, and they have

germinated in less than two weeks. I have two of these in the ground

that I got from Jeff Marcus several years ago and one has been flowering for

a couple of years.According to Paul Craft, this is going to become

Lanonia dasyantha in the near future.It is not a Licula.

Dale

Feast or famine with rare palms. I am now sitting on about 60 3 leaf plants. All from Gary at cold palms.com. My seed germinated quickly too. I have found high humidity is a must and by growing them in mini hot houses I have stopped brown tipping and the growth is double from my first attempts.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin