IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS bookstore

bgl

As many of you may know, the IPS Bookstore has been in limbo for quite some time. Out of privacy concerns I can't provide too much information here, but the general background, and plan for the future, is as follows:

Inventory is located at private home in north San Diego county. The IPS is currently in the process of reaching an agreement with Dennis Johnson, who specializes in selling palm books, and when this is finalized the books will need to be prepared for shipment to Dennis (out of state). Exactly how and when this will take place is still being discussed.

We are looking for a few enthusiastic volunteers who can help out. And obviously - no need to be an IPS Board member! Since there are no firm dates in place as of yet we are certainly flexible enough to work with anyone who is willing to take a few hours to make this happen.

Either post your interest here (in which case I will contact you privately), or send me a PM.

Thanks! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 5 months later...

Any update on this Bo ? I saw a great book on palms of Brazil at our society meeting the other night that one of our members brought back from the biennial. There's that new book from John Dowe on palms of Australia. Wouldn't it be good to locate them from an IPS bookstore (no overheads).

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Missed this the first time. I might be able to help if still needed.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

OK, this is what's going on: Liz Stansfeld of Stansfeld & Fairbrother, our management company, was in Rio de Janeiro last month and made a presentation to the IPS Board. She offered to take over the IPS Bookstore, and the Board approved this. Don Martin, President of the PSSC, and an incoming IPS Director, volunteered to get the books shipped from their present location in North San Diego County to Liz in Austin, TX. I'm sure Don would be thrilled to get some assistance, so anyone who can help out, please contact Don as soon as possible. (Bill, Jason and anyone else in the general area). Thanks a lot!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 6 months later...

How the progress on the new bookstore? Got some extra $$$ for some new books to read during these cool winter months.

Edited by monkeyranch

The move from the location in SoCal to Texas has still not taken place. Logistical difficulties, which I can't get into here. Anyone who is interested, in whatever way, please contact Don Martin, President of the PSSC, for further details.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, and hopefully the last one. Don Martin has now been able to collect the books and they will be shipped to Liz Stansfeld in Texas very shortly. Probably this coming week.

• 2 years later...

Who do I contact to buy a book? I am looking for the book, "Pams for Southern CA a quick reference quide", by the Southern California Palm Society. Please let me know.

Maybe Dave ("DoomsDave") can help you with that. Hopefully he'll see this - and if not, send him a PM. And welcome to PalmTalk! :)