IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What causes trunk cracks/splitting?

OverGrown

What causes this? The tree is doing fine. Trunk has looked good until the last couple months. It is possible it was getting more frequent watering b/c of nearby potted plants.

CIMG1575.jpg

CIMG1574.jpg

LA | NY | OC

That's the cause. More frequent waterings. Nothing to be concerned about.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have a few palms here with enormous, deep cracks in them. I was told that rapid growth is the cause, they get a spurt on due to something and grow too quickly and split. It might not look all that nice but it doesnt seem to harm them in any way. One of mine has had big splits for at least 7 years with no ill effects.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Sometimes splits can be very disconcerting, but they're usually nothing to worry about.

They are particulary comon where a palm is grown in a more spartan environment, i.e., one in which the palm has limited access to resources, particularly where a palm is kept in a pot long after it should have been planted in the ground.

Many times, splits, divots and cracks will fill in over time.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have two palms that exhibit this cracking in the trunks.... both are Archontophoenix.

The first is a triple Bangalow, where it has occured fin one of the trunks - and I agree, from too much sudden watering.

post-953-1260048889_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

But the 2nd one (on an "AlBang" - Bangalow/Alex cross) happened after our February heatwave, and hopefully the picture shows the effect is much more dramatic that just cracking in the trunk.

The heat deformed the palm so much that it created a flat "face" along the trunk, as well as cracking. It is sort of like the palm semi caved in.

The other trunk on this double is fine, and both are back to producing normal leaves. Yet I worry that this damaged palm will have future problems, and besides that - it looks ugly. I am thinking of cutting the damaged one off and planting a Syagrus Sancona there instead !

Regards

Michael.

post-953-1260049161_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Plant a bromeliad in the hole. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Weird :hmm:

I agree, if you don't like the looks, an orchid or bromeliad in the hole will patch things up.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 12 years later...

HELP!   I live in a close community in Ecuador, there are 7 giant Royal Palm trees growing tall, over 80 feet, they are green, beautiful, majestic and planted on a common park area, away from nearby homes, now, the administration has observed some vertical cracks in them, no more than an inch wide, and the president of the association has decided to cut them down, citing concern about their structural integrity.   I’m arguing that those cracks are insignificant and do not pose any danger of falling, it would be an environmental disaster to cut perfectly healthy, beautiful trees for something that’s natural in that type of tree.   Who is correct?   Please advice and give me some data in order for me to try and save these trees.  I thank you!

C2413FF4-2568-4D4B-B8FA-92B848BCCFDA.jpeg

E8BAD153-EA6D-472D-BF95-F5665678D433.jpeg

32C61A0A-EFC5-47E1-98D2-CDCA4DC46276.jpeg

Edited by Edgar Bodero
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Edgar Bodero said:

I’m arguing that those cracks are insignificant and do not pose any danger of falling, it would be an environmental disaster to cut perfectly healthy, beautiful trees for something that’s natural in that type of tree.   Who is correct?   Please advice and give me some data in order for me to try and save these trees.  I thank you!

You are correct, that the cracks are almost certainly just cosmetic blemishes and will cause no structural deficiency in the palms posted.  Unfortunately, I know of no "studies" of this, it is more just anecdotal experience from growing palms for decades.  I too have some large Archontophoenix cunninghamiana which are approaching 30 years old now that have had cracks in them for the last two decades with no signs of weakness.  I also have smaller younger ones like the one below that is about 14 years from planting, that started cracking several years ago, with no ill effects.  My Cattelya granulosa orchid appreciates the cracks as it provides a little added protection for it's roots.  It is a symbiotic relationship between the two plants as opposed to a parasitic relationship.

Anyone else have anything more scientific that they can share on these types of cracks in palms and their survival/structural integrity and not just anecdotal information like I shared?

20220627-BH3I8074.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

All I can speak to is what I’ve seen in my yard. Two different causes I’ve seen: one is when a sprinkler directly hits a palms trunk it causes multiple fissure like cracks. The other is when a palm suddenly receives a large uptick in water and has no choice but to expand too quickly and cracks as a result. This happened to me with some of my Archontophoenix after heavy winter rains. The palm just gets overloaded.

38 minutes ago, James B said:

All I can speak to is what I’ve seen in my yard. Two different causes I’ve seen: one is when a sprinkler directly hits a palms trunk it causes multiple fissure like cracks. The other is when a palm suddenly receives a large uptick in water and has no choice but to expand too quickly and cracks as a result. This happened to me with some of my Archontophoenix after heavy winter rains. The palm just gets overloaded.

This is what I’ve heard. I have questioned owners multiple times and the stories are very similar. Bought the tree as a trunking specimen and threw it in the ground with subsequent frequent watering. After a few years…..vertical cracking. They also confirmed what @Tracy stated, no I’ll effects your the tree or detriment noted. 

Unfortunately @Edgar Bodero, the people making the decisions likely know very little about the trees, are only concerned with litigious reprocussions and often make their decisions solely on “what if” fears. I hope they keep them but fear they will not. 

-dale

• 11 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, Edgar Bodero said:

HELP!   I live in a close community in Ecuador, there are 7 giant Royal Palm trees growing tall, over 80 feet, they are green, beautiful, majestic and planted on a common park area, away from nearby homes, now, the administration has observed some vertical cracks in them, no more than an inch wide, and the president of the association has decided to cut them down, citing concern about their structural integrity.   I’m arguing that those cracks are insignificant and do not pose any danger of falling, it would be an environmental disaster to cut perfectly healthy, beautiful trees for something that’s natural in that type of tree.   Who is correct?   Please advice and give me some data in order for me to try and save these trees.  I thank you!

C2413FF4-2568-4D4B-B8FA-92B848BCCFDA.jpeg

32C61A0A-EFC5-47E1-98D2-CDCA4DC46276.jpeg

I have been working with arborescent palms over a decade now and this is quite common; most times not posing a threat.