IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The BS man's 13 month growth and end of summer..

BS Man about Palms

When looking for some other photos recently I was stunned to see some old pix of my front yard...I was MORE stunned to see the photos were only 13 months ago!!

I liked a few recent threads here showing the "pre-winter look see", so I am doing more or less the same thing but showing before and after if possible. When smaller shots will provide names too.

First, front yard after last years mulch/planting frenzy.

Taken OCT 2008.

post-27-1258954467_thumb.jpg

Same rough area, Nov 2009

post-27-1258954604_thumb.jpg

Patience please, the back and forth will take some searching.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

From the front door looking to street. Kentia and freshly planted Clinostigma most obvious, belmore to the left behind pots.

OCT 2008

post-27-1258954881_thumb.jpg

NOV 2009

post-27-1258954998_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Acanthophoenix crinita/rubra?

Oct 2008

post-27-1258955240_thumb.jpg

Nov 2009

post-27-1258955308_thumb.jpg

This is a shot of my "Lord Howe Island grouping". Howea f., Belmoreana, Hedyscepe and Lepid. moore. not visible

Oct2008

post-27-1258955523_thumb.jpg

Nov2009 The "cross" of belmore and forsteriana on the left. (To me it looks halfway between the two) It is growing at an alarming rate, it was a 1gal planted 2 years ago? 1 gal.!!!!!

post-27-1258955643_thumb.jpg

Here is the Howea belmoreana today from the Oct 08 picture above.

Nov 2009

post-27-1258956070_thumb.jpg

Then the Hedyscepe from the same 2008 pic above. You could just see a leaf in the lower right.

Nov2009

post-27-1258956151_thumb.jpg

Yes, you may have noticed an infiltrator in the Lord Howe area...

Heres a Dypsis basilonga. Nov2009

post-27-1258956337_thumb.jpg

But this guy belongs there. My little Lepidorrachis mooreana, recently found to have lots of bugs. Hope I got them all.

Nov2009

post-27-1258956408_thumb.jpg

I originally got this a couple years ago from Jerry Andersen, but Dan and Jerry didn't agree what it was, it just looked different. I called it "Dans Dypsis". I have since decided I think its Ravenea krociana.

Oct2008

post-27-1258956659_thumb.jpg

Nov 2009

post-27-1258956753_thumb.jpg

This palm looked like it was on deaths door at the end of last winter. I hope its not an annual thing.

Ummm. stay tuned on this one. I may have made a big mistake, but hopefully not pay for it.

Bismarkia Oct2008

post-27-1258957003_thumb.jpg

Nov2009

post-27-1258957110_thumb.jpg

Well, I thought this palm was a goner, it may still be. A day after I trimmed that lower frond, I remembered the palm seemed to have a lean at the top. I looked closer, as I went around the base of the palm, I saw what looked like and old gopher mound, but I could find anything below. I tried to dig around, but found the ground dry. Really dry, like rock hard dry. The top of the frond could be rocked back and forth fairly easily. I wondered if it dried out, so 3 days ago I soaked the crap out of it. I then came home from work and did it again. Each day the top seems more solid, but still has a lean. It was like it "shriveled" from lack of water. I have been paranoid of rotting this out since I did that to a potted one 3 years ago. PLUS, this was an early planting, too low, heavy clay but lots of rocks. I think this summer it may have grown fast or big enough to need a bigger dripper.

I'll keep you updated, in this thread, or I'll start another.

Here is the Sabal sp??Oct2008. The Bamboo is gone to Matty B's house now.

post-27-1258957778_thumb.jpg

You'll have to do with this pic of the Sabal and Jubea in Nov 2009

post-27-1258957888_thumb.jpg

Heres one of my most worrisome palms, my Kentiopsis piersoniorum (bigger one) Looking pretty good in

Oct2008

post-27-1258958096_thumb.jpg

Today the spear has stopped growing, but the base has got more rock solid, by a lot. I'm hoping that means its laying down a mean root system!

Nov2009

post-27-1258958208_thumb.jpg

Stunning pics!

post-27-1258955240_thumb.jpg

Almost coconut looking!

Except for the spiny part! :lol:

A much better success story Kentiopsis here. K. magnifica..

Oct 2008

post-27-1258958553_thumb.jpg

Looking very good in Nov 2009

post-27-1258958637_thumb.jpg

Continuing with Kentiopsis..oliviformis in

Oct 2008

post-27-1258958771_thumb.jpg

Starting gain some stride now in Nov2009

post-27-1258958878_thumb.jpg

Sorry about some of the angle changes... (and brown leaves too..) :P

Last, but not least by a long shot, Kentiopsis pyroformis.

Oct2008

post-27-1258959140_thumb.jpg

Nov 2009. I just recently cut the top ledge from its box to give it more room.

post-27-1258959057_thumb.jpg

Sadly, here is a causuality since then. :cry: A Dypsis lastelliana from Oct 2008 that I have decided I over watered over the winter.

post-27-1258959328_thumb.jpg

But in its place/box I put a Dypsis St.lucei and then a Dypsis pinnatifrons next to it.

post-27-1258959457_thumb.jpg

Enough for now. More tomorrow.

Hello Bill, you love big Dypsis, you love Kentiopsis, you sure you're not a ratpacker, you sure as hell sound like one to me, what's your shirt size ?.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

BS man your palms look good and a few more yrs you will have a jungle. I found when palms stop growing fronds but get thicker in the trunk they normally start growing new fronds eventually.

David

Hello Bill, you love big Dypsis, you love Kentiopsis, you sure you're not a ratpacker, you sure as hell sound like one to me, what's your shirt size ?.

OOOooooo, Extra Large! :)

Stunning Acanthophoenix Bill; maybe you can show me how to grow mine better... You've got a great selection of plants going on!

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bill,

Great progress shots! And I have to admit, I don't believe I've ever heard someone describe a palm's growth rate as "alarming". But I'm sure that was meant in a good way! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill,

Where's your Mealy Bug planted? Every great collector has to have one. Even if it's in a 1gal. pot, we demand to see it! :unsure:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill,

Where's your Mealy Bug planted? Every great collector has to have one. Even if it's in a 1gal. pot, we demand to see it! :unsure:

Jeff

Stay tuned for various types...

Thanks to everyone else for all the comments. More pix tonite.

Here is the ButiaxJubea (supposedly. One of my, if not first, rare palm purchases)

Oct 2008

post-27-1259035134_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the pic being too close.

Nov2009

post-27-1259035213_thumb.jpg

This one is a little later, I may bounce a bit. Watch some of the dates WILL NOT be over a year.

The infamous Dypsis OCWS/Big Curley/prestoniana/whatever.

Feb2009

post-27-1259035351_thumb.jpg

Nov2009

post-27-1259035434_thumb.jpg

I pray for its continued happiness! :D

Here is my Dypsis lastelliana var. Big Red.

Oct2008

post-27-1259035633_thumb.jpg

Nov2009

post-27-1259035773_thumb.jpg

I hope this palm does well, its really beautiful as they get larger. Aren't most? :P

I've noticed that most of these palms will keep their older leaves without deteriorating, the new leaves just look better. :)

Here is what I planted as Ravenea monompona. This palm had sunk over halfway down in a 5 gal pot. It was screaming for some soil!

Oct2008

post-27-1259036889_thumb.jpg

Nov2009

post-27-1259039700_thumb.jpg

I see this Dypsis sp. highland mealybug was opening this frond in Oct2008

post-27-1259039865_thumb.jpg

Hard to see in this shot, but the leaf to the left was the one opening above.

post-27-1259039980_thumb.jpg

Heres a very nice shot of another type of Dypsis lastelliana with "lined" mealybug markings.

Oct2008

post-27-1259040103_thumb.jpg

You can see the same palm in the background here. Basselininea pancheri in front.

Nov2009

post-27-1259040214_thumb.jpg

My standard issue Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

Oct2008

post-27-1259040375_thumb.jpg

Now a group shot with same one in the center. C.hookeri to its left and C.houliou in the rear left.

Nov2009

post-27-1259040414_thumb.jpg

OK- From here on out, are the "additions" a few may have been here a year in the ground, but most were planted this spring/summer/fall.

Copernicia suerona Nov2009

post-27-1259040779_thumb.jpg

Dypsis cerecea/nauseosa/now tsaravosira

Nov2009

post-27-1259040854_thumb.jpg

PS- you can keep your snide box comments to yerself...

Shon.

Gary.

Et al.

Looking great Bill ....the palms have finally muscled out the weeds .

The butia /jubaea is awesome !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Foxy Lady, pushing out its 3rd leaf since planting not that long ago.

Nov2009

post-27-1259041136_thumb.jpg

Then an Orania, but I think its a longisquama, not ravaka like the tag said. Maybe we'll consider this the spirit of the one that died that I brought home via the "palmscraper" last year. :crying:

Nov2009

post-27-1259041197_thumb.jpg

A nice Cyphophoenix elegans..

Nov2009

post-27-1259041422_thumb.jpg

A small Veillonia alba. wait, now a Basselinea? or was it Cyphophoenix...aauugh, can't remember the new name.

Nov2009

post-27-1259041599_thumb.jpg

This is a Basselinia eurostachys (sp) from Floribunda. I noticed something weird on the leaves that you can just make out. The "middle and end leaflets on each frond are twice the size of the other leaflets. I would have thought it was just a fluke, but the last 3 or 4 fronds have done the same thing.

Nov 2009

post-27-1259041897_thumb.jpg

Hybrid Dypsis, Teddy cross, "red" triangle? (not used to that one, I'm used to Teddy cross. D leptocheilos x decaryi

Nov2009

post-27-1259042034_thumb.jpg

fantabulous Bill, great palms.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.